Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Precept and dealer

Is a dealership legally obligated to do a Complete PDI before delivery? We bought a precept last August, went on a trip and it was a nightmare!! They never pre test drove it and we learned this unit had been sitting the lot for over a year without any maintenance. We believed in our dealer because this was the second unit we were purchasing. I really want them to buy it back, but jayco will not.
Pgamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #2

Pgamel, Really sorry to hear your initial experience has been a "nightmare". As for the PDI, I don't know what they are legally obligated to do. You as a consumer have rights under the Lemon Law.
Were your challenges failure of the systems on the RV? Do you understand how the different systems operate?
Jayco CS has been extremely helpful to us and a number of Precept owners that I know.
Join us at the Precept Owners Group forum by clicking on "community" toward the top of this page, then click "Social Groups", then look to the mid-right side of the page for Precept Owners Group and then join. We have over 80 Precept owners.
You can ask questions but first I invite you to read through the JPOG forums and see some of the challenges and fixes we have found.
I also strongly recommend reading and understanding the owners manuals you received for all the systems on your RV if you haven't already done so.
I wish you the best and hope things improve rapidly.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #3

Most likely they are under no legal obligation to do a PDI, but certainly good customer service and good business dictate they offer one. Without you asking for it, and for no charge.

It's not Jayco that would buy it back. It's the dealer. Sounds like they don't care about you. Let them know how powerful the Internet and social media are.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Precept responses

Thanks for responding so quickly. We have been class a owners for over 10 years. We wanted to downsize from our Itasca 38' and got the Melbourne. Really liked, no issues, but we have been spoiled by the class a. This unit sat on the lot for over a year without them doing any maintenance. I have spoken to CS and was told if the dealer can't fix it they would have to take it to their factory in Indiana. That's over 1200 miles each way with no guarantee on when they would get it done. Also, you must sign up at least 60 days before they will take it AND you are responsible for the expenses! Our main issue is the JRide. Having sat on a lot this long in Louisiana, and trusting this dealer in the past, one would expect the BIG issues to be pre taken care of. Wipers were dry rotted, no fluids in wipers, GPS camera system fell into the dashboard and the overall ride felt like riding on a horse with no saddle. The description of the JRide did everything it's not suppose to, did not do an oil change nor check the air in the tires. I finally got a copy of the PDI, and it clearly shows the "important" items were not tested. Living down south women, unfortunately, go unheard. Being from Chicago, I have found this really offensive, but it's the truth. I found the"The sales of goods act 1979" that states I have up to 6 months for repairs OR replacement if one can prove the car was faulty at the time of sale. I don't know if this applies to motor homes, so maybe I could get some help. Sorry for being long winded, but I have never had an experience like this with motor homes and Jayco really doesn't care. Just eat up my Warranty guys.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #5

Since you are still well within the two year warranty, have you checked with other Jayco motorized dealers in your region? One of them may provide better support than your original dealer.

Good luck.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Hi Pgamel.
Did you test drive your RV prior to signing papers?
Did you ask to do a PDI prior to signing papers?
Did you check the tires prior to signing papers?
Check oil/fluids, psi in tires, start the genny, etc?

What do you hope to accomplish by making the reference to "women going unheard"?

I understand your disappointment, anger and frustration. So I hope you can mend the fence between you and your dealer. It doesn't sound like Jayco's offer meets your wants or needs.

There have been many, many examples of Jayco customers' positive resolve to issues that come up both with dealers and Jayco CS.

You may have a legal claim, I don't know.

Good luck,
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #7

This is the only Jayco near us. It appears that the dealerships that could service it are hundreds of miles away and we won't chance it because of the JRide issues, but thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Having purchased a class c from the same dealership, we felt confident that the unit was tested before we picked it up. Hubby went for a short drive, but things started on our first long trip. My comment about how women are treated down here is validated by how men, especially businesses act like we don't know what we're talking about. Remember this is Sportsmans Paridise!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #9

And I can't find the site for the forum you told me about.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #10

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html
When you sign up, scroll down mid-page and on the right, you will see "group tools" then click that you want to be notified each time someone posts to a thread.

Warranty work can be done by any number of companies. If you have a component issue, ie fridge, furnace, AC, generator, water heater, etc, you don't have to be serviced by a Jayco dealer. You'll have to research to see who offers warranty work in your area. For us, we have a Cummins/Onan dealership that does warranty/repair work on many of the components.
Good luck,
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 11-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #11

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. We had problems with our Precept and the dealer this past spring. I called Jayco CS and they were very helpful. Our issues have all been resolved. Talk with CS and they will help you.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote