Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Precept exterior storage doors

Hello, new here, purchased a used 2014 Precept in April, overall happy with it. Wondering if any one has had challenges with the exterior storage door hardware (plastic)? We have one where the key cylinder turns with the key, a complete circle. Have two doors that just will not unlock to open, the door with the generator behind it we can crawl underneath to release it, but the door with the TV has not opened since we brought it home from the dealer. Called the dealer a couple of times to order new latches, but he has not heard of such a problem and has yet to order new parts. Sigh! Any suggestions of if this is normal, and can we install new latches to replace the plastic that's not doing the job?
Thanks for any help.
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #2

Malu, as you are new, you may not be aware that there is a Precept owners group here and there is lots of good information on Precepts. Keep in mind that different years and different model Precept may be different. Heck, the same year and model may be different. But, this is a good source for the information you seek. To get there; click on Communities, then on Social Groups. You will see on this screen, a picture of a Precept. Click on it and you’re in. Good luck.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malu View Post
Hello, new here, purchased a used 2014 Precept in April, overall happy with it. Wondering if any one has had challenges with the exterior storage door hardware (plastic)? We have one where the key cylinder turns with the key, a complete circle. Have two doors that just will not unlock to open, the door with the generator behind it we can crawl underneath to release it, but the door with the TV has not opened since we brought it home from the dealer. Called the dealer a couple of times to order new latches, but he has not heard of such a problem and has yet to order new parts. Sigh! Any suggestions of if this is normal, and can we install new latches to replace the plastic that's not doing the job?
Thanks for any help.
If your dealer is not helping with your problem, contact Jayco Customer Service in Indiana. The phone # is on Jayco's website. They are very helpful.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malu View Post
Thanks for any help.
The locks are crap. I've gone through 4 already in the first year. The plastic latches wear down and don't retract. If there was a replacement I would pay to swap them all out cause it's gonna break when you need it the most.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

Malu

I agree that the door latches leave "a lot" to be desired. We currently have our 31 ul in the shop and one of the items is the storage doors. The generator door will open on its own even though I have slammed it hard enough to dent the skin and at least one other one that when locked you can open with your little finger.
Good Luck
kjtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Malu, did you resolved your problem or need some more help from the forum?
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

Precept goes to dealer this Friday for hatch issues and the country fill does not work so no way to suck RV anti freeze into the system. We did blow out as much liquid as possible, amazed with how much water was in the lines.
Our last outing had 23 mph wind with 36 mph gusts, the cover for the water heater blew off. Wasn't real impressed with the single tab it was attached with.
Thanks for asking. We are learning that motorhome ownership seems to have a greater learning curve.
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #8

Malu
We just got ours back form the shop regarding several issues and one of them was the door latches. The tech removed the troubled ones and lubed and adjusted them. They seem to work much better and do not open with a small tug when locked.

On the country fill / winterize setting, I have read that you may need to remove the screen / checkvalve on the water inlet. It seems the pump does not have a lot of suction force to put in antifreeze or chlorine water to sanitize. Maybe a easy fix.
Ken
kjtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #9

I had a door latch doing the same thing, Malu. Jayco provided me a replacement and I installed myself. 4 screws on the inside is all the holds it in.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote