Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Precept Furnace problems

We have had furnace/heater problems since we got our 15 Precept. The motherboard was corroded by water coming in from the vent cover. The repairman said it was a design defect. The vent is made so that it channels rain down to the motherboard, eventually killing it. He installed a temporary fix (some foam insulation) but now we are back to square one. The furnace responds to the thermostat, fan goes on, igniter clicks on for an instant, and goes out. Poof! no heat. Anyone got a cure for this? Motherboards cost about $300, as I recall and I don't want to install one every year.
jkblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

I have a 2016 Precept 35S and as many times as I've washed it I never considered that the control board could get wet. I need to pull my furnace cover and see what it looks like and how well the board is protected.

If you don't find a solution soon I'll take a picture when I get my coach back from service, waiting on shower doors.

Otherwise, you might call Jayco CS and see if you can find someone knowledgable enough to discuss your problem. I had a great CS agent for a while but he moved on to another position outside of Jayco.

Hopefully someone will come along here soon that has been down the same road as you and can offer something constructive.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #3

Yes, I think they were wrong on the vent. Mine was fixed in the same manner as yours and failed again. At least 3 precepts I have seen including my own have water damage to the mother board. On ours the refridgerator condensation overflow is caught in a small plastic tray, in the open vent above the furnace. It can overflow when the fridge is defrosted or when you might be in higher humidity. My fix was to eliminate the overflow tray and add a small hose on the current overflow hose and route out the vented fridge cover. The overflow from the tray runs down between gaps in the refridgerator and directly below to the furnace board. I also sealed these gaps in with silicone. There are also gaps in the refrigerator/sidewall area that I sealed that are above the furnace. This is a 31ul so if you have another model this may not apply to you.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #4

Good information

Hawkster,

Great information. This will be the first thing I check when I get my coach back. I'm still using the defrost tray inside the fridge.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

NickM, the defrost tray under the cooling fins have the tube that goes directly to the little tray I mentioned behind the fridge vented door. When the freezer defrosts it just stays in the freezer compartment and you sop it up. A lot of people up north haven't had the problem that a few of us have seen in the humid south. I think if you just camp a few days at a time maybe no big deal. But if you are stationary for weeks or months that tray will fill up and drip down to the furnace on a 31ul.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #6

Water on motherboard

I also have a precept 31 UL and have had the same problem with water getting to the motherboard. That seems to be the only place in the furnace compartment that water wants to go! I made a small plastic cover to try to direct the water away from the motherboard, but it still gets there. It does appear to come down the wall from the refrigerator above and follows the wires to drip down onto the motherboard. itís not from the condensation drain since I vent that outside. It appears to happen in heavy rain.
Replacement motherboards can be purchased online for about $90, so itís a cheap do it yourself rather than take it to a shop, but it would be much nicer if I knew exactly where the water was getting in so I could stop it from getting in to the furnace compartment!
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:46 AM   #7

Angry Crummy design!!!

Thank you for that information. Our last motherboard and installation cost upwards of $300. Nice to know we can do it for $90. Jayco should issue a rebate and instructions for a fix!!
Old 03-29-2019, 10:16 PM   #8

Wow another one with the same problem - My 2016 Jayco 31 UL - water getting on the motherboard and the furnace cycles but does not stay on. Jayco re-engineered 2 different motherboards with a lift on the side so they did not lay flat but still had same problem, finally after 2 years of fighting with it Jayco sent a totally new furnace and so far no problems. fingers crossed. The furnace had problems on our first night on the road so we bought a 20 dollar walmart space heater and used that for 2 years. the warranty is over now so like I said fingers crossed.
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 AM   #9

But how is the water getting in to the furnace compartment in the first place? That seems to be the big question in my mind. I’ve had the cover off the compartment at least a dozen times after rain storms. Somehow the water appears to flow down the wiring to the right front corner of the motherboard where two wires are plugged in. But I can’t tell how it’s getting there.
When I left the awning out about 2 feet during a heavy rain, no water in the furnace compartment. So is it coming through the upper refrigerator vent? The lower refrigerator vent? Or somewhere else…
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #10

I will try leaving out the awning....maybe that will help. Also, we are on our third thermostat. We got the damn furnace working, but now the thermostat keeps it on all the time. No way to turn it off without putting the whole RV in storage mode. Bleagh.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

I've seen three with water overflowing the fridge condensation tray. But under these circumstances; in Florida where it's humid even in winter, and all of us snowbirds so parked with fridges running weeks and months at a time. Since I ran bypass from tray outside, I see water dripping from hose a lot in Florida winter's. Fridge cools fine no problems.

But I have also heard of water coming in fridge vent over furnace in hard rains. I used silicone caulk to plug up any seams on bottom of fridge directly over furnace. There are several gaps there.

I also noticed when shutting off fridge after a trip the condensation tray fills up and overflows.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
NickM, the defrost tray under the cooling fins have the tube that goes directly to the little tray I mentioned behind the fridge vented door. When the freezer defrosts it just stays in the freezer compartment and you sop it up. A lot of people up north haven't had the problem that a few of us have seen in the humid south. I think if you just camp a few days at a time maybe no big deal. But if you are stationary for weeks or months that tray will fill up and drip down to the furnace on a 31ul.
Hey Hawkster,

I forgot about this thread, we have been in central FL for 10 weeks and on one occasion the furnace would not kick on the burner. I pulled the board and it was damp, dried it off and it has worked fine ever since.

I checked the tray in the fridge and it is connected to the drain tube. When we start finding water under the drawers I know that it has become disconnected.

My furnace is not located under the fridge but about 48" to the rear at floor level. Keeps my sock and undies nice and toasty when it runs.

I never did figure out how the control board got wet but it hasn't happened since that one time. I ordered a spare control board, just in case. Mine is a 35 US.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Hey Hawkster,

I forgot about this thread, we have been in central FL for 10 weeks and on one occasion the furnace would not kick on the burner. I pulled the board and it was damp, dried it off and it has worked fine ever since.

I checked the tray in the fridge and it is connected to the drain tube. When we start finding water under the drawers I know that it has become disconnected.

My furnace is not located under the fridge but about 48" to the rear at floor level. Keeps my sock and undies nice and toasty when it runs.

I never did figure out how the control board got wet but it hasn't happened since that one time. I ordered a spare control board, just in case. Mine is a 35 US.
NickM, the condensation tray I'm talking about is found by opening the fridge outside vent. So the inside tray is connected with a tube to the outside tray. Our outside tray was overflowing after a couple of weeks of continuous use. Another guy with precept in campground had problem at same time as me. We both lost our furnace.

Tags
furnace, heater, igniter