Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #1

Precept Gas Milage

What kind of gas mileage are you Precept owners getting?
Can't decide between the 31ul and the 35un......

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #2

Ive been getting 7 mpg towing a saturn suv for about 500 miles. We are just about to turn 2000 miles. not really broken in yet. Its a 31ul precept. We love ours so far.
2 dogs
1 wife
US Army Vet. 66-68
Private pilot
rahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

?? Pre what ?
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahawk View Post
Ive been getting 7 mpg towing a saturn suv for about 500 miles. We are just about to turn 2000 miles. not really broken in yet. Its a 31ul precept. We love ours so far.

Any idea what kind of mileage without towing?
Just don't want to take the dealers word on what mileage to expect.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

With the V-10 and that large flat front area, based on previous experience, I doubt you're going to do any better than about 8-8.5. If you get a good tail wind you may get close to 10 out of a tank or two, but don't expect that all the time.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
With the V-10 and that large flat front area, based on previous experience, I doubt you're going to do any better than about 8-8.5. If you get a good tail wind you may get close to 10 out of a tank or two, but don't expect that all the time.
Yep, what Grumpy said
We have 2500+ miles on Bertha now. Never have checked the mileage. Long time a go I had a discussion on the CB radio with a MH driver. I complimented him on his rig and asked about fuel mileage. He responded "if you gotta know, you can't afford one".
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

I'm currently pulling a 5er, so I'm used to 7-8 mpg, so it's not a big deal; just curious. Trying to make sure I ask ALL the questions before I spend more money than I have.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #8

There doesn't seem to be an over abundance of Precept talk on this forum. Are the Precepts not a popular choice yet? The price point seems to fall in between the FR3/Thor Ace's and the Georgetown XL's. I like the fit and finish of the Precept and thought it would be a more popular choice than the amount of posts seem to reflect...

Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
There doesn't seem to be an over abundance of Precept talk on this forum. Are the Precepts not a popular choice yet?
The PRECEPT is only in it's 2nd year and many dealers don't always start carrying "newbie" models when they first come out. Give it another year or so.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

Joe, I just did a search for "Precept" and came up with 72 threads. There have been a variety of topics discussed.
Please don't take offense with my previous comment on this thread. Definitely not meant as a slam. Ask away and hopefully you'll find your comfort level.
We looked very thoroughly at FR3, ACE & Georgetown (not XL), also Winnebago Vista.
When we compared fit/finish, amenities & forum comments/issues it became clear the 31 UL would fit our needs ............. & we have not been disappointed at all.
Have a good search
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

We have just over 2000 miles on ours, not towing. Last tank was 7.4 in semi hilly terrain. Run about 62 mph.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
Joe, I just did a search for "Precept" and came up with 72 threads. There have been a variety of topics discussed.
Please don't take offense with my previous comment on this thread. Definitely not meant as a slam. Ask away and hopefully you'll find your comfort level.
We looked very thoroughly at FR3, ACE & Georgetown (not XL), also Winnebago Vista.
When we compared fit/finish, amenities & forum comments/issues it became clear the 31 UL would fit our needs ............. & we have not been disappointed at all.
Have a good search
Yes 72 threads where Precept was mentioned, but I though I'd see more dedicated threads to the only Class A Jayco sells. The other gentleman was correct I suppose it's still in it's infancy. It's a lot of money to me and I just want as much feedback as I can get.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #13

I certainly understand the process. Nail biting at best. Good luck and if you have questions that you would like to ask, pm me.
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #14

Like Darrell, I haven't really spent alot of time on figuring the gas mileage. Not completely broken in yet, I estimate our Precept between 7.5-8.0 MPG.

Rather than focus on the mileage I prefer (and have fun) buying my gas as efficiently as possible.

Check out the Sam's Club Mastercard. 5% rebate on all gas purchases (at ANY gas station) up to $6000 spend.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #15

Hi Darrell
We have a new Precept 31UL sitting in our driveway for the past 5 weeks. Haven't been able to get away yet. I have a question though. Our bedroom t.v. doesn't work on the house battery system. It only works off the generator. Is this by design or do I have a problem? Thanks
Chuck
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #16

Hi chuckandcindy.........CONGRATULATIONS............r eally exciting isn't it? Of course getting away will be nice and you'll really enjoy it when the time comes.
On the rare occasion we have had the bedroom tv on, we have been hooked to shore power.
Your batteries are charged fully and your battery cut off switch is on.? I don't know about the bedroom tv, but the living room tv shuts down if the key is turned on in the ignition. What kind of volt reading is on your panel? Should be 13.5+. Just trying to help eliminate the simple things.
You might start a new thread......maybe "bedroom tv won't work on house batteries" or something like that. There is a wealth of info out there.
Sorry, I couldn't clarify for you. My Bertha is at the dealers for some warranty and recall work or I would try to duplicate what you are trying to do.
Got any easier questions?.........lol
I'll watch for the new thread.
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckandcindy View Post
Hi Darrell
We have a new Precept 31UL sitting in our driveway for the past 5 weeks. Haven't been able to get away yet. I have a question though. Our bedroom t.v. doesn't work on the house battery system. It only works off the generator. Is this by design or do I have a problem? Thanks
Chuck
Anyone figured out the "TV working while driving" issue?
With kids, if that TV doesn't work on the road, I'm not going...
Seriously though, I'm currently shopping rigs and don't want to count on salesmen as to whether or not this is a function I can count on or not.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:33 AM   #18

Joe I have a new 2015 Precept 31UL but the only mileage I have on it so far is the 35 miles from my dealer to my driveway. We had it for 5 weeks and haven't had a chance to get her out on the road yet. I know, it's sad . Right now it's basically a man cave. A place for me to go watch tv which is awesome . I didn't notice any sway during my drive home although I wouldn't be surprised if it did in a strong crossword but don't they all to a certain extent? I can tell you that before we decided on the Precept we test drove a couple others including the Thor FR3 and the Precept was superior in handling. I could tell the difference with the front stabilizers Jayco installs. It has a smoother ride as well. I feel we made the right choice for us and I can't wait to hit the road next summer when I plan to retire after a 31 year career as a podiatrist. Best wishes in your search.
Chuck
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #19

Agreed, the Precept fits my budget and is definitely a step up from the FR# and Ace for sure. I am looking at a Winnebago as well. Both fit the bill for different reasons.
Just want to get some more info on a few things here and there and it off to the negotiations I go...

Old 10-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
Anyone figured out the "TV working while driving" issue?
With kids, if that TV doesn't work on the road, I'm not going...
Seriously though, I'm currently shopping rigs and don't want to count on salesmen as to whether or not this is a function I can count on or not.
See post #10 in particular

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11021