Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #41

I'm willing to believe that Newmar has better quality than Jayco, based on looking at them and lots of reading, but I also believe that my 2017 Precept 31UL provides considerably better value per dollar, as compared with its nearest Newmar model equivalent. Given the common underpinnings of Ford F53, and a great many of the purchased parts and subsystems as well, there is no way there can be a huge difference but, from what I see in the dealers' ads, the price difference can approach "huge."
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
I'm willing to believe that Newmar has better quality than Jayco, based on looking at them and lots of reading, but I also believe that my 2017 Precept 31UL provides considerably better value per dollar, as compared with its nearest Newmar model equivalent. Given the common underpinnings of Ford F53, and a great many of the purchased parts and subsystems as well, there is no way there can be a huge difference but, from what I see in the dealers' ads, the price difference can approach "huge."
I get it, there is a lot of money difference. I'm not sure what Newmar makes that is a similar size to the 31ul.

I personally moved up to 38' which gave me a nice bath and a half, king bed, stackable washer & dryer, and a lot of other icing. Some of that icing, double pane windows, fire place, true surround sound, 26k lb chassis with over 4100 lbs of cargo capacity, automatic satellite tv, residential frig, etc. and the final price was about 20k to 25kmore than many pay for a loaded 31ul.

I do get it, that's a lot of money but there is a little more difference in product as well. As I said before, for the money my Precept was a good buy.

And guess what, we all park together and enjoy our vacations

I'm sure the Entegra crowd has a million reasons to buy that too.....just more $

Steve
Old 08-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #43

Oops! You said "residential frig."
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #44

I did....lol

Steve
Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #45

I would. We love our 2015 31UL. We have the smaller suspension and have not done any modifications to the suspension and it handles fine doesn't have any problem in the wind. I would like to get the 36 T but I would hate to give up the smallness of the 31UL. Our dealer pushes the Newmar but I think I would still go with the precept it be hard to give up the nice big windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #46

I have a 2015 36UN, it was the prototype for the 35UN, Slight differences in the interior, not sure if the length is actually any different, anyway, I have driven it 10,000 miles so far, absolutely love it. Some of the additions I added are, Tire Pressure Monitoring System for 10 tires, I keep the tires at 100 psi cold, I added a Rand McNally RV GPS, The screen in the precepts is not in a good place for driving, I also added the 5 Star Tuning, this made a huge difference in shifting gears and power, lots more power to Merger into traffic and take off, Just came home from a trip NJ to Yellowstone and back, 4,800 miles and coach preformed beautifully. I am extremely happy with my purchase, when I get closer to retirement, in about 6 or 7 years my plan is to purchase an Entegra, One more huge bonus with Jayco is the 2 year warranty and the customer service that goes along with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #47

Sounds like you love the 5 star tune.... they are about 70 miles from me, sounds like I need to visit and pick up a tune.

Steve
Old 08-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #48

ok...I'll ask...what is 5 star tune?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #49

We bought a 35S beginning of this year. Once we set the budget, it was clear that for the best bang on the dollar, nobody could beat Jayco. We are very happy with our purchase and would not trade it. Next step up would be a diesel pusher.

Parked our 35S beside an Entegra last week north of Calgary. Beautiful couch but I am still more than happy to drive "just" my little Precept 35S.

Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
ok...I'll ask...what is 5 star tune?
It is a computer program that you use to reprogram your onboard engine computer. It helps make more HP, torque, and changes the shift point of your transmission.

From what I've read the V10 couple with the 5 speed transmission (mid 2016 and earlier) it makes a world of difference. The newer transmission (6 speed from mid 2016 to current) I think the jury is still out but I haven't read about it recently.

Here is their web site: Custom Dynomometer Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning

Steve
Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #51

We picked up our 2018 Precept 35S in May. One of the most important things for us was the size of the kitchen area and the associated storage. We couldn't find anything that came close to the 35S, and we looked at several diesel pushers, including the Entegra. We're extremely happy with ours.
MikeThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #52

Mike,

My wife loves the kitchen in our 36UN, Same kitchen as you have basically. Your coach is basically the same from the bedroom forward, I only found 1 model that has a kitchen close to it's size in under a 40' coach and that is the Newmar Ventana 3709, selling price on the Newmar was $178,000.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote