Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Precept Punch List

Does anyone else see utility in a thread listing items requiring dealer attention in a single thread? I don't necessary mean to air dirty laundry but I think knowing what others have had to have assessed might help me to check items that I might not have noticed while still under warranty. I realize individual threads address individual items and their resolution but I just mean an singular list that we can all add to. I started a similar thread of my own with my thoughts on my Precept but didn't want to bore with just an itemized list of "complaints". So I thought an individual thread might be a good idea. Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

AugerN. I intentionally waited to respond to your question. I was interested in what others may say. But, here is my take.
You have spent a considerable amount of time in your new Precept which is great. It typically takes using the unit, using all the systems, over and over to find any weaknesses or faults. Many shake down trips are really helpful. Remembering that everything needs to be broke in and normal usage is the only way to accomplish that.
So, IMHO, keep enjoying your unit and have an awareness for how the systems operate correctly. They are all the same and they are all different.
Your dealer will not "go over your unit" to see if there is anything wrong. They normally will address concerns you have.
Enjoy
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #3

Thanks Darrell! I suppose I was interested in knowing what other's may have had issues with all listed in one thread versus searching the entire forum. I would have never thought to have checked the wiring to my transfer switch and though I don't know that it is an issue currently, I will definitely check it and make certain that the wiring is not loose possibly causing a problem in the near future. Just as it has probably never occurred to others that rats on a dealer's lot may have begun to chew through cords (like the wiring to the injector on cylinder 5 on my unit), but by hearing of my issue, others may be able to check for such things a bit more thoroughly than without that knowledge. It's crowdsourcing potential pitfalls. I'd love to see every problem someone on this forum has had with a Precept all listed in a singular place.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #4

It's a great idea to have it all in one reference area. We can all use ofhers' problem solving as a tool for preventive maintenance.
I will gather mine and post a list.
Thank you
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 AM   #5

Interesting idea Auger. I would be interested in participating in such a project. Things to keep in mind are the year and model differences we have and how we use the motorhome. I keep a list of Precept owners and information about them on a list as I read the blogs. I like to know what year and model they have and where they live when i read a posting. For those who have seen the "production line" at Jayco, I think you can see how something can be overlooked on one unit yet not overlooked on another. Some things, like the tankless water heater are unacceptable to one owner and a non issue to another. But your point is a good one. We could have fun working with it.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #6

I'll start:
1. Computer table on passenger side slides with any motion of the coach.
2. Screen door black plastic piece covering the handle won't slide back and forth.
3. Two of the ceiling AC vents were pushed up into the ceiling.
4. Engine hood is misaligned and one side stick out significantly.
5. Basement door locks are difficult to lock/unlock. Several won't easily open despite being unlocked.
6. One of the basement doors opens despite being locked shut. Requires duct tape to keep closed.
7. Radio unit turns off with any bumps.
8. Top and middle shelves on pantry have become loose. The wood has become loose enough that it causes pantry to get stuck closed. Another duct tape temporary remedy.
9. Door sensor on bottom was loose and just hanging.
10. Several drawers open during movement and several are difficult to close.
11. Door handle sticks. The door is often difficult to open despite being unlocked and handle fully engaged. Sometimes take significant tug to get it to open.
12. Battery slide out carrier only partially slides out. Sticks not allowing batteries to be accessible.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #7

Here's my starting list (2015 29UM)
1. Top left tail light missing about 2/3 of the LEDs. Dealer notified and will send warranty replacement.
2. Panels very loose on refrigerator. (Dealer removed panels and applied silicone)
3. Trim around headlight won't stay in place due to very thick fiberglass on lower opening.
4. Computer tray stays shut but shakes to high heaven. The whole dash seems to shake badly on rough roads.
5. Going to replace the sewer pipe vent caps with a better cap. Sewer smell is strong at times. Seems to be strong when it's hot outside and heating the tank.
6. The screws holding the tread on the steps are too small. Dealer installed larger screws and washers on the top step. The middle step tread is now coming loose. Easy enough fix though.
7. The entry door is tough to adjust. It seems the screws holding the latch in place back themselves out and the post on the latch hit the clasp when closing.
8. The Wingard antenna amp is very basic. I replaced it with a Sensar Pro. (I'll post pics in a different post).
9. Still cannot figure out how to get a DVD to play on the back TVs. I have plugged a DVD player into the bedroom TV and it works fine but not a real good solution for the bunk TV.
10. Generator is fickle with quick stops, turns and rough roads.
11. The tankless water heater works best with constant pressure.

More to come, I'm sure.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

2015 Jayco Precept 31UL fix list

We have owned our 31UL for a month now and just brought it to the dealer to get these items fixed.
1. Bunk does not go up or down.
2. Bunk rail behind driver loose and vibrates
3. Passenger side left vent cover is broken. Unable to direct blown air in a different direction.
4. The inverter is not working, unable to use any outlets with engine running and inverter on.
5. Engine does not charge the coach batteries. The Engine battery get charge but coach batteries do not.
6. Leveling jacks do not extend all the time.
7. Coach door hydraulic arm pivot joints are loose especially the one on the door.
8. Shower rod for hanging clothes is rusted and dripping rust.
9. Engine AC does not blow cold all the time. Needs to be recharged.
10. Water heater does not provide continuous hot water. When taking a shower you get shots of cold water.
11. Slide out trim piece needs to be glued on couch slide out side
12. Rear vibration at speed 60+. Tire not balance??
13. Passenger seat squeaks when swiveling.
14. Drivers seat power disconnects when rotated. Wires too short.
15. Microwave squeaks while driving.
oksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #9

After looking at these lists, I am thankful that many of those issues have not been problem for us. However,
1. In 31UL, we had issues with the entry door and actually got locked out on our first night in a Walmart lot in 40 degree weather. The toad was locked and the key was in the Beast.
2. In 31UL, The window trim on the back window fell off as we were driving home from our first night in the camper.
3. 35UN, the leveling jacks were never hooked up. They thought it needed a new part.
4. Lots of little things that all got fixed.

I think it is best to find things in your unit. Dwelling on what happens for others would be too much to think about. Especially after looking at the above lists and realizing that I'm glad I didn't worry about that stuff possibly happening for the past two years.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #10

I've owned our Precept 31UL for 15 months now and followed this forum for nearly 2 years. My takeaway on this thread is that there is a true lack of consistency of the problems that all of us have had with our Precepts. This unfortunately shows inconsistencies in the manufacturing process which I'm told by experienced RVers, is the nature of the industry. For those of us who have never owned coaches before and expect the same manufacturing excellence typically found in today's automobiles, we are all very frustrated and disappointed.

Having compared our coaches, in person this summer, D&MAKAFUN, Bob's A Class, and a 35UN owner, the inconsistencies in the manufacturing process became clearly evident.

But, from my experience on this forum, here are top 3 consistent issues that I have seen mentioned numerous times:

1. Computer desk slides out when travelling
2. Window above the door rattles
3. Hot water heater stops working and needs reset button pressed on unit from the outside.

All minor and repairable.

I think it would be nice to have a complete list but I doubt that it would be consistent for all.

IMO
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:00 PM   #11

Well said lilmoover35UN & McGarrett50.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #12

1. Computer desk slides out when travelling
2. Window above the door rattles
3. Hot water heater stops working and needs reset button pressed on unit from the outside.

McGarrett 50 I am thankful that we have not had these issues. However, it took some experimenting to figure out the setting for the hot water heater.

We did replace our shower head, as recommended by someone on irv2 forum. They carry it at Lowes.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #13

lilmoover35UN We replaced the shower head too with an Oxygenics. Makes a big difference on water pressure. Everyone will have some sort of minor issues no matter what brand MH one buys. That's what we have signed up for. I just hope that we don't experience major issues that prevent one's travels to be affected.

I didn't list them as common issues, because I've only seen one other Precept owner have this problem, but we lost our step AND awning motors within one week on our trip this summer. Didn't prevent us from traveling and the issues were resolved relatively quickly with the support of Jayco CS and a mobile tech.

BTW, both motors are third party supplied, not a Jayco defect.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote