Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

Precept RECALL from NHTSA-Exhaust location

#9903440 FORD F53 Chassis 2014 - 2018. Hydraulic and electrical lines may be routed too close to exhaust pipe without a heat shield installed. Rupture of rear brake lines and shorting of electrical wires would be due to excessive heat and subsequent melting of line and wire insulation. I immediately went looking for the 'problem area' and found more that what the RECALL indicated. No hydraulic / wires melting(except for the convoluted tubing) but basement storage floor was drastically melted and dripping down to the Cat Converter. (see pix)I don't know why no fire was started. I live in a resort town so Authorized Dealers are scarce and since none of the 3 I called had seen the recall they wanted Time and Material $$ if I brought the coach to them. 60+ days until a SERVICE opening. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck so I made my own heat shields and repaired the basement floor.

I called JAYCO and they told me they have not heard about this recall. DUH !!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN9766.jpg  
beegee1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

Did you speak to "Jayco Motorized Service"?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #3

Precept RECALL from NHTSA-Exhaust location

Oh yes. My helpful friend Jacob Frey. I suppose because it is not a 'JAYCO' fault, FORD should issue the RECALL. Too dangerous to be left without a fix so I had to do something.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #4

I had a leveling jacks hose blow out on me a few weeks ago. It blew while driving and the jack control pad started beeping and smoke was rolling out from beneath the motorhome. I found that it had melted where it was run above the catalytic converter. I removed the hose and took it to a shop and had a new one made. I reinstalled it and started looking for some heat shielding material. Guess I'll wait for the recall and let Ford take care of that for me.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee1028 View Post
#9903440 FORD F53 Chassis 2014 - 2018. Hydraulic and electrical lines may be routed too close to exhaust pipe without a heat shield installed. Rupture of rear brake lines and shorting of electrical wires would be due to excessive heat and subsequent melting of line and wire insulation. I immediately went looking for the 'problem area' and found more that what the RECALL indicated. No hydraulic / wires melting(except for the convoluted tubing) but basement storage floor was drastically melted and dripping down to the Cat Converter. (see pix)I don't know why no fire was started. I live in a resort town so Authorized Dealers are scarce and since none of the 3 I called had seen the recall they wanted Time and Material $$ if I brought the coach to them. 60+ days until a SERVICE opening. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck so I made my own heat shields and repaired the basement floor.

I called JAYCO and they told me they have not heard about this recall. DUH !!!
The official notice was received from JAYCO in mail today. Mon Nov18
Old 11-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

I got my notice today.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #7

RECALL 19V-705 on 31UL

I own a 2015 Precept 31UL. Got the recall in November and since it was in storage I waited until April to get it in. Well it has been a comedy of errors between the virus, JAYCO, and the dealer. It is now June 10th and the parts have not come in. From what I am told there are 3 different kits that fix the recall. These kits were Outsourced to a local mfg. My rig needed a part from each kit (?). After many phone calls and face-to-face meetings, the parts were finally suppose to be expedited but are shipped BUSINESS. I've lost a lot of faith in a Jayco Customer Service and the Tulsa dealer at this point. Hope no one else has had as much of an issue.
TomOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #8

Mine is a 2018 Precept 31UL. I received the recall in the mail and when I checked I saw that the heat shields had already been installed. We then went on a 6,000 mile trip to Utah this past August. About half way there my rear backup camera stopped working??? I searched this forum as well as Google and saw that it was a common issue but no real reasons. Once I got it home I got under the unit and found all kinds of melted wiring in front of the catalytic converter beyond the heatshield. I also found the front storage compartment to be deformed from heat. So typical Jayco skimped and didn't use a long enough heat shield to cover everything. Nor did they use any heat resistant conduit for those wires. I found the rear backup camera wire (runs in a 1" conduit along with a Siamese RCA video/audio cord for the rear TV I assume) was melted. I had sound at my camera but no video. I replaced the entire cable ($45) out of my pocket and now it works again.

So here is what I used to cover the wires:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SGM4HDK...02_03_t_ttl_lh

Then is used this on the exposed plastic area until I can get a proper piece of metal shielding in there:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R6F97C9/ref=dp_prsubs_2

I included some before pictures of the damage and what to look for. I already drove it over to the storage lot before had realized I didn't take any after pictures. I will update this later with them if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
catalytic.jpg   melt1.jpg   melt2.jpg   melt3.jpg  
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:24 AM   #9

Had our Alante in for this recall in February.
"Jayco is recalling model year 2016-2017 Alante motorhomes built on Ford F53 chassis.
A heat shield may have not have been installed, allowing the hydraulic lines to be exposed to excessive heat, which can melt hydraulic lines, increasing the risk of a fire."
2018 Thor Four Winds 24F (traded)
2016 Forest River 22RR (traded)
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90 Trailbike
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #10

This sounds exactly what my '18 31UL has going on. Originally, I looked under saw a heat shield in place above the Catalytic and thought everything was ok. Last summer, while driving through Yosemite my rearview camera stopped working. Last week, someone stole our catalytic converter which prompted me to crawl under and check everything out (A blessing in disguise that has cost the insurance company over $4,000). I found the center section of the large front-right side pass through and the wires in this location had severe melting. I can't believe we didn't have a fire. I should be getting the motor home back from the catalytic repair in a couple days and then I'll have to take it to my Jayco dealer to hear their story. THIS LOOKS DANGEROUS TO ME PEOPLE. TAKE THE TIME TO CRAWL UNDER AND LOOK UP HIGH ABOVE THE FRAME AND IN FRONT OF THE CATALYTIC HEAT SHIELD!!!!
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #11

Heat Shield recall received for 2022 Precept 31UL

Hi! Just got the heat shield recall letter applying to the 2020-2022 Precepts. We purchased our 2022 31UL in Jan2022.

I crawled under and examined the area around my replaced catalytic converter (yes, it was stolen) and found the only potential issue was the Oxygen2 sensor/cable going into the cat was routed up and away (where major heat will project.) I ran down to Autozone and bought a +500 degree-rated sheath to put around it to the mounting point on the frame. Otherwise, I rehung anything within 8 inches of my exhaust system and saw nothing that alarmed me (but what do I know...I'm not into thermo-dynamics.)

Previous threads have some great advice on actions to take, such as a self-adhesive heat-reflecting blanket (also available at most parts stores in the exhaust section.) I'll try that if I start to see any heat damage issues.

I'll be keeping an eye on this as our inaugural trip of 35 days to Iowa starts in seven days. Not what we planned for on a shakedown cruise, but events caused every short trip to be cancelled. Pics folks made of their damage help me know what to look for and 30+ years of trailers and 5'vers give me some advantage.

All the best!
FIREBALLXL5 is offline   Reply With Quote