Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #1

Precept Windshield Noise

Hi everyone. I'm Chuck. My wife and I are taking delivery this Saturday on our new 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL. We test drove it tonight. Everything about it was great except for an excessive amount of whistling wind noise at the top of the windshield. Has anyone else experienced this?

I told my dealer that they need to address this issue before we pick it up Saturday. Thanks to anyone for advice. I am enjoying reading your comments in the forum and I plan on being a regular.
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

Chuck,

Hopefully some Precept owners will chime in with some feedback in respect to the windshield wind noise you noticed.

If you get a chance, feel free to post some pics of your new Precept (interior/exterior), not many folks have seen this new MH up close.

Bob

PS: Sent you a PM (Private Message) in respect to thread title revision made.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

Hi Chuck and Cindy WELCOME to the forums and YAHOOOOOOO.....CONGRATULATIONS on your 31 UL

Be sure to do a search of Precept on this and Irv2 forums for a variety of topics and discussions. There is a lot of info to digest and if you can't find a specific answer in a search, try pm one of us. Always eager to find answers.
We have had our PRECEPT 31 UL since mid July. Our longest trip was the first weekend we had "Bertha" with about 350 miles. Other than that we have been within 40 miles of home with our adventures.
Other 31 UL owners have many more miles and trips so hope they will see this thread.
To answer your question, we have not noticed an excessive amount of noise from the windshield area. Depending on wind direction and strength there will be different noises at different times. I realize it is very difficult to describe a noise so others will understand.
The only wind noise we noticed .... somewhat excessive... was when I didn't slide the driver's side window completely shut.
We have a really large windshield so it definitely needs to be sealed in properly.
Let us know what you find out.
Smiles
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Welcome to JOF

Chuck,

Hopefully some Precept owners will chime in with some feedback in respect to the windshield wind noise you noticed.

If you get a chance, feel free to post some pics of your new Precept (interior/exterior), not many folks have seen this new MH up close.

Bob

PS: Sent you a PM (Private Message) in respect to thread title revision made.
Good morning Bob. I have finally posted some pics of our 31 UL in albums and "Pics of your Jayco" threads. More next week with interior. We've been having such a good time, taking pics was on a back burner. lol
Enjoy
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
Good morning Bob. I have finally posted some pics of our 31 UL in albums and "Pics of your Jayco" threads.....snip
Yep, I seen the pics earlier, very nice coach! When the Precept first came out I seen one at an RV show and thought that they were a sharp MH, nice standard up-grades (compared to others in it's class), and still competitively priced

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Yep, I seen the pics earlier, very nice coach! When the Precept first came out I seen one at an RV show and thought that they were a sharp MH, nice standard up-grades (compared to others in it's class), and still competitively priced

Bob
Thanks Bob. I believe they did their homework. They didn't just throw out something to be in the "class A gas" market. Owners overall seem to have very positive reviews. The upgrades are very nice. Sometimes challenging to work through the "new" kinks.....always is.
Enjoy
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #7

Thanks Darrell and Bob. Bob asked me to be more specific about the wind noise. Our test drive was only about 5 miles and we got up to 60MPH. The noise was constant from about 25MPJ on, but, of course, became more noticable the faster we went. It was a whistling noise almost like wind blowing through a screen. Rather high pitched. The front of the Precept is quite vertical and takes on direct wind without deflecting it as are many other motorhomes but I doubt if they all make that noise. We also drove the FR3 which has a more slanted and wind cheating front end. Makes the rig a little more "slippery". Not a bad idea. Perhaps Jayco should incorporate that design as well. Probably improves gas mileage too. The good news is I spoke with another dealer who had a Precept 29 and he told me he took it out and drove it 75mph and it didn't make any wind noise. I'm hoping my dealer can figure out the problem. Maybe it's as simple as re-sealing the windshield. I live in Kentucky. We fix everything with duct tape and I'm sure it would work but I hope they don't resort to that option. Take care y'all!! Chuck
Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

Hey neighbor! We're in Cincinnati and have been debating about going back to a class A. Love the Precept 31 ul, but all the plans I've seen have the short queen bed. Am I wrong?
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

We have a 2015 and have had no wind noise. The only noise in the front is a creaking sound which seems to be coming from the cabinets above the passenger seat. Only seems to happen on rougher road surfaces. No major issues. Some drawers pop open while driving, the closet door always opens while moving, the microwave light needed tape around the door to stop the squeaking, etc, etc. Our dealer prep was terrible, we have not heard a word from them since delivery. Have called numerous times and get answering machine. Not one returned call. Like the unit, but am worried about any warranty service.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Chuck,

I would think that to produce a constant whistling sound something "fixed" is definitely catching the wind, especially the fact that the noise increases with speed.

Is it possible that it could be an item on the roof near the windshield?

But I do agree a compromised windshield installation could be the root cause.

Just thinking out loud here.....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #11

Spoke to my dealer today. He assured me the wind noise will be fixed(without duct tape). I will be the judge of that. If it will be as he says it will be, it will be in my driveway on Saturday. Stay tuned folks and thanks for you wise and friendly counsel.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #12

All of the Precepts have 60"x80" queen beds. That is the same size as a residential queen bed. One oddity is that the corners on the foot end are rounded rather than square in the 31UL. Not sure it it's that way in the other sizes but I suspect it is. It doesn't really subtract much usable space from the bed but I wondered why it was designed that way.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #13

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f113/new-...nt-220247.html
This is a thread on iRV2.com that will help with the size of the bed in the 31 UL.
The rounded corners really help with getting around the end of the bed. The space is rather limited as you may know.....lol
The excitement builds and you'll be on the next chapter of your journey.
Keep the dealer's feet to the fire on any "problems". Once he has your money, you become a second cousin to his long lost cousin.
Enjoy
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #14

Just got back from the dealer. He did, indeed, fix the wind noise issue. There was a small defect in the black rubber windshield molding that surrounds the windshield. The defect was half way up on the driver side and was less than an inch in length. Interestingly, the "whistling" noise was at the upper portion of the windshield on the passenger side. The wind must have been shooting up through that piece of molding and exiting on the other side. Wierd!! At any rate, I'm a happy camper, well, I will be tomorrow morning when I pick up that bad boy. Walk through scheduled at 10am. Daughter and son-in-law coming in for the weekend so our maiden voyage will have to wait a couple weeks. Thanks again to all of you for your input. See you out there!!
Old 09-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Chuck,

Thanks for the follow-up, will be a great "root cause" reference thread for those that incur a similar problem

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #16

Yes, thanks for the follow up. Happy happy. Keep us up to date on your expeditions and destinations. We are building a huge list of destinations and we want more....lol...bucket list.
Enjoy
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #17

She's sitting in my driveway folks. 2015 31UL. Now I hope none of the neighbors complain. There's an ordinance against rv's and boats in our town but they only enforce it if someone complains. There are a few boats on our street so I think we'll be ok. I'll try to figure out how to post photos and share some. I'm not too good at stuff like that. Happy trails.
Chuck
Old 09-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #18

Chuck & Cindy.............CONGRATULATIONS. Welcome to the next chapter in the rest of your life.
Don't even try to wipe the smile off your faces..........it won't come off for months.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 09-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckandcindy View Post
Hi everyone. I'm Chuck. My wife and I are taking delivery this Saturday on our new 2015 Jayco Precept 31UL. We test drove it tonight. Everything about it was great except for an excessive amount of whistling wind noise at the top of the windshield. Has anyone else experienced this?

I told my dealer that they need to address this issue before we pick it up Saturday. Thanks to anyone for advice. I am enjoying reading your comments in the forum and I plan on being a regular.
Chuck,

I have a 2014 Precept 31UL and have mine at the dealer right now checking it out to see if they can find out where or why the wind is wistling in the front windshild. It seems that is coming from the upper front portion of the windshild and it is very noticable. It may be something they can find easily enough and I sure hope so.

Other than that we love it and everything else is working great and is very comfortable and easier to drive than my older and longer Class A......
Imatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatiger View Post
Chuck,

I have a 2014 Precept 31UL and have mine at the dealer right now checking it out to see if they can find out where or why the wind is wistling in the front windshild. It seems that is coming from the upper front portion of the windshild and it is very noticable. It may be something they can find easily enough and I sure hope so.

Other than that we love it and everything else is working great and is very comfortable and easier to drive than my older and longer Class A......

in post 14 above they resolved the wind noise
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote