Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2022, 09:02 PM   #1

Progressive Dynamics PD4590 Power Genter

We have a 2018 Precept 31UL with a Progressive Dynamics PD4590 Converter Power Center. I would like to use a different battery charger. Does anyone know how to disconnect the built in charger of this power center? When the batteries are removed the 12 volt system still works if the unit is plugged into outside power. That makes me think it can be done.
BOB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB4 View Post
We have a 2018 Precept 31UL with a Progressive Dynamics PD4590 Converter Power Center. I would like to use a different battery charger. Does anyone know how to disconnect the built in charger of this power center? When the batteries are removed the 12 volt system still works if the unit is plugged into outside power. That makes me think it can be done.
You should have a breaker in breaker in the main panel that says Power Converter. You can just turn this breaker off and leave everything connected if you want it for a backup or if you want or need a breaker space, you can disconnect the wire to the breaker and the converter ground wire and that’s it. I contacted PD when I installed my Victron inverter/Charger and they told me either method will work. I disconnected mine and left in in the panel in case I ever needed a backup but needed the breaker spot. The green light on the main board will still blink and PD said that is normal.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 12:45 PM   #3

Turning converter breaker off

Brian, when I turn off the breaker to the converter, all of the 12 volt system turns off. What I am trying to do is only turn off the charging part of the system and still leave the DC part of the system active. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Bob
Old 01-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Brian, when I turn off the breaker to the converter, all of the 12 volt system turns off. What I am trying to do is only turn off the charging part of the system and still leave the DC part of the system active. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks Bob

Thats interesting, mine kept the 12v side hot as the 12v side is wired directly to the batteries. Is you main battery disconnect switch on?

Old 01-14-2022, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Thats interesting, mine kept the 12v side hot as the 12v side is wired directly to the batteries. Is you main battery disconnect switch on?
The disconnect switch is off.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:06 PM   #6

Quote:
The disconnect switch is off.
Ahhh, that’s why you lost the 12v side. What charger are you planning on switching to? An Inverter/Charger?

Old 01-18-2022, 07:55 AM   #7

The power disconnect was on (red light on). The shore power was plugged in and the house batteries were removed. At this point the 110 and 12 volt sides worked in the camper. When I turned the breaker off, the 12 volt side did not work,
Old 01-18-2022, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
The power disconnect was on (red light on). The shore power was plugged in and the house batteries were removed. At this point the 110 and 12 volt sides worked in the camper. When I turned the breaker off, the 12 volt side did not work,

Thats because you have the batteries removed. You wont have any 12v without the PD4590 converter on or the batteries installed.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:03 PM   #9

I finally got a direct answer from Progressive Dynamics about isolating the battery bank from the converter. When the shore power is plugged in, the charger goes thru the battery disconnect cable to the batteries. When you don't have shore power, it uses the same cable to draw 12 volt power from the batteries. The only way to bypass the charger when plugged into shore power is to put a disconnect on the battery cable at the terminal that goes to the house battery disconnect. That is an easy solution. By doing this, I can install my own charger, just need to remember to turn off battery disconnect cable before I turn on my charger.