Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2019, 04:21 AM   #1

Pulling house batteries

Buttercup is almost wrapped up for the winter. Last thing to do is cover this weekend. I have always in the past pulled the house batteries and put them in my heated workroom for winter. Then when ready to put back in... put them on a charger and then re-install. A colleague said he doesnt do that and now it got me thinking.

Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #2

That's always an option, or leave the batteries installed and connect a 1.5a smart charger via extension cord, which is what I do. I don't have any heated storage area, just un-insulated storage shed and the garage where the TV is. Neither are as cold as just outside, but I still just leave installed with the small smart charger. No issues with bad batteries except for age.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #3

A modern battery is really quite good, and if fully charged and then disconnected, should be fine over the winter. If they discharge they can freeze and get ruined. I would have no concerns leaving mine on the tongue of my TT all year, if it was not in storage facility during the winter.

I pull mine, and put it in my shop, sitting on a 2x4 on the concrete floor. I have checked the voltage and it might drop 0.1 volts over the course of the winter. If I know we are getting a really bad weather snap, I might put them on the charger a few days before, just so I can use the power inverter with them to run my stick built house furnace if needed. Never done it yet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #4

I take mine out to preserve the battery and avoid theft.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I went back and forth, take them out, or leave them in...

I decided to leave them in, in a rare case I had to move or use the rig, I didn't want to have to deal with re-installing the batteries.

I put separate trickle chargers on the house and chassis batteries, but I didn't leave them plugged in 24/7. I don't see a need to keep them energized all the time, when there is no load or drain on them (only a slight parasitic drain on the chassis battery).

I put a digital timer on the incoming power line, and it comes on once a week to top off the batteries. Otherwise, everything is off.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #6

Does your 31 UL have the PD4500 Series Power Control Center? If so, it has a built in Charge Wizard that automatically keeps house batteries (and, I believe, chassis battery, too) charged as needed.
ondaroadagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:14 AM   #7

The onboard converter has 3 modes to keep your batteries up. I keep a drop cord from my garage to the coach. Works fine for months as long as you have a.c. power.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #8

I leave them in. I keep my group 27's on a Battery Tender and my J185's on a Noco Genius. I also have installed a battery disconnect switch.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #9

I have always brought in my group 27 battery as well as my tractor battery and put them on battery tender jr's. My lifetime on the tractor battery is up to 3 years now vs. replacement almost every year before I brought it in.

Due to problems with lifting I will leave it on the tongue with a battery tender Jr. on it via extension cord next winter.

A battery tender is a lot cheaper to replace than the house converter. I believe it also draws a lot less electricity to just keep it on (above the power uses to actually uses to charge the battery).
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

A battery tender is a lot cheaper to replace than the house converter. I believe it also draws a lot less electricity to just keep it on (above the power uses to actually uses to charge the battery).

This is exactly why I use the battery tenders. I don't see the reason to keep the converter and the 115 volt circuits powered up and energized 24/7 if I'm only topping off the batteries once a week.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote