Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Question Purchasing an Alante 29S

Hello. My husband and I are thinking about purchasing an Alante 29S, 2018, with 6,000 miles. I have looked online to check the reviews of the Jayco Class A motorhomes. The majority of the bad reviews were because of poor workmanship and having to have a lot of warranty work done. So we joined this group hoping to get some honest feedback from owners of this model and even other Jayco class A gas motorhomes before purchasing it. We currently own a 24ft Fleetwood Icon and are wanting to upgrade to something bigger and we love the floor plan of the Alante 29S. Any advice reviews etc would greatly be appreciated.
Mel Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #2

Are you buying from a dealer? If so make sure you get a complete walk through and make sure everything works prior to signing anything. If buying private I would suggest getting a professional inspector and doing the same. Internet reviews and discussion tend to the negative, positive results don't seem to get posted that much so you have to take everything with a large grain of sea salt.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #3

Yes from a dealer. Thank you for the reply!
Old 04-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #4

You're welcome. You may want to go to the Class A motorhome forum here and do some reading on posts from Alante owners. If you know how to do a forum search I would do that also. Again, a detailed, cover everything, make sure it works walk through with the dealer is a must do.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #5

I agree with pward that you might get more responses by posting in the Class A Forum or at least reading through the threads there.

Since you are buying used it’s possible any or all the warranty issues have been addressed but that’s not guaranteed. It could have been traded for any number of reasons.

The shorter WB Alante will most likely handle differently than the longer WB Precept that I have. You may want to check if it’s had the “cheap handling fix” (CHF) or any other mods. Floor plan is important but be sure to check everything out and take it for a quality test drive. What kind of WH does it have? Tank or tankless? Make sure the generator runs. Do the jacks operate properly without any signs of leakage? Do the slides operate smoothly? Do a thorough inspection because you won’t have the Jayco warranty since you aren’t the original owner. Check out similar units on other websites to compare prices.

After having my warranty items addressed I am very satisfied with my coach. It is likely the last RV I will ever purchase and I am OK with that because it meets all our needs in a style that I was never accustomed to. Hopefully you will find the coach you are dreaming of and maybe it will be this one. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #6

With it being 1-2 years old, hopefully the current owner has already dealt with all the poor workmanship issues. I'd ask the owners what things they have had to repair and who did the repairs. If they provide the information freely, you may be in luck. If they claim no issues, is be wary.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #7

Thank you!
Old 04-28-2020, 07:06 AM   #8

We have a 2019 Alante 29S since august 2018, very happy with it. No major issue. For a better handling we made the CHF, add a steering stabilizer and rear track bar with those changes the motorhome is really easier to drive on the highway. Since the date of purchase we stayed more than 230 days in it an enjoy it
Road125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #9

Mel, FYI there is a Jayco Precept and Alante Facebook group that has many regular knowledgeable members.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #10

Insist on taking it for a test drive. I agree with Road 125, with a test drive you will be able to know if those things have been done. Talk to the dealer and ask if they have been done, they might not even know if it’s done.
russellmania01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #11

I agree with Road125 also. We have a 2018 Alante 31V and have done the same suspension mods that he did - big help and didn't break the bank. We have had some warranty work done but all pretty minor. Everything has worked fine since the beginning and we have put 26,000 miles and 300+ days on it in two seasons including 3 months in Alaska. Test drive, have it inspected and go through everything. We have done a lot of inside mods; all new single handle faucets in sinks and shower, TV in bedroom, Serius radio, etc.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #12

We have a 2020 Jayco Alante 29S Picked it up 3/12/20 as the lockdowns started. Nothing major, wrong, small and poor workmanship issues as you note. But in reading other forums, not much different unless to are going to a Tiffin or Entegra. My RV is actually at the dealer for warranty work for the last three weeks. The biggest hassle is the length of time it takes to get it back. Kinda amazing actually.

Not sure about your year but the 2020 comes with the JRIDE (sway bars and tuned driveshaft). I driven my motorhome about 50 miles on the highway. Its a struggle and constant work to keep in my lane. after 30 minutes, my shoulders are tired. Yes, I am new to driving something this big but damm.

When I do get it back, I am having the rig aligned, the CHF, and a steering stabilizer installed. If your RV doesn't have this now, you will want it done. Perhaps ask as part of the deal. The stabilizer is about $600 for the part and mounting kit and another 400 for install. It appears easy to do yourself if you are young and have the tools.

Good Luck
windfall96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfall96 View Post
We have a 2020 Jayco Alante 29S Picked it up 3/12/20 as the lockdowns started. Nothing major, wrong, small and poor workmanship issues as you note. But in reading other forums, not much different unless to are going to a Tiffin or Entegra. My RV is actually at the dealer for warranty work for the last three weeks. The biggest hassle is the length of time it takes to get it back. Kinda amazing actually.

Not sure about your year but the 2020 comes with the JRIDE (sway bars and tuned driveshaft). I driven my motorhome about 50 miles on the highway. Its a struggle and constant work to keep in my lane. after 30 minutes, my shoulders are tired. Yes, I am new to driving something this big but damm.

When I do get it back, I am having the rig aligned, the CHF, and a steering stabilizer installed. If your RV doesn't have this now, you will want it done. Perhaps ask as part of the deal. The stabilizer is about $600 for the part and mounting kit and another 400 for install. It appears easy to do yourself if you are young and have the tools.

Good Luck
You might think about a rear Trac bar. Get at the rear of your rig and push sideways. If there's some movement back and forth a Trac bar will really help you. It helps with the wind and when 18 wheelers pass you. Drove mine for 3 years before I put it on. Wish I had done it first.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #14

I want to get the steering stabilizer done first. The local RV shop I am using (not the dealer) suggested do one, test, and do the other if needed. What was the cost?
windfall96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #15

I think you are right to make changes incrementally but in the end you will do all. I did the CHF first as it was free except the cost of a torque wrench at about $80. Then I added the steering stabilizer, again did it myself with the cost of the Roadmaster brand about $350. I do not have a torque wrench to re-torque the spring shackles (260 ft. lbs.) so I had Ford do it. Then I added the rear Trac Bar (my 2018 Alante 31V has a factory front Trac Bar) and had it installed by the shop that did my alignment. Total cost was about $600. Each change made a noticeable positive result in handling and all three made our 11,000 mile, 3 month trip to Alaska last summer quite pleasant. I am considering new Koni shocks this summer and maybe Sumo Springs in the future but not super necessary. I am planning on trying to dial in the tire pressure as recommendations vary all over the map. Spec says 83 and I have tried 85 and 88 and maybe 90 on a trip next month. The J Ride probably helps some but you still need to do the additions for a much better ride.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #16

Atlante Chassis= Ford chassis

We made a huge mistake purchasing a Jayco Class A even though the factory is very nice and helped as much as possible, these motorhome are all built on FORD Chassis and it is the same chassis they use for small Garbage truck therefore very difficult to control at high speed no matter what you do to improve the ride.
Before We bought a brand new Precept 31 UL many folks swore up and down that it Was so great so we pulled our money out and bought It.
Since there are no interstate highways within 120 miles we only test drove it in town and small highways. BIG MISTAKE !!
As soon as we got on the big highways it was terrifying how poor the handling was weaving right and left non stop, could not keep a straight line.
So everyone said get Steering this and Shocks that and Steering bar this and Track bar that .
Spent over 5K to make it better, spent hours in Motorhome shops and truck shops to no avail. It was a nightmare and my wife was terrified of the handling , drove from Oregon to Florida And back , horrible time with trucks passing , cross winds.etc.. it was the MOST DANGEROUS vehicle we ever drove. 10,000 miles of terror. These motorhomes are made for short trips and WEEKEND USE. IT SAYS SO IN THE OWNERS MANUAL. :THESE MOTORHOMES ARE NOT MADE FOR FULL TIME LIVING.
There is only ONE CHASSIS available anymore for Gas powered Motorhomes and it is FORD It was NEVER designed for RV s just for trucks.
Go with DIESEL PUSHER or 5th Wheel. Stay away from gas motorhomes, you will regret it.
We lost 50 k when we sold it with 11,000 miles on it, and will never buy one again.
Get a BIG truck and tow a BIG 5th wheel that s your best bet.
Most people will NEVER admit the mistake but I do and am definitely not afraid of sharing my bad experience.

TEST DRIVE at FREEWAY SPEEDS NO LESS.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #17

I Hate to disappoint you but my advice would be to buy a different RV! I purchased a Precept in 2017 and I cannot list all the problems I have had with it. The poor workmanship and the lack of quality are unbelievable!! When I got mine home I looked underneath because of the bad handling and I found that the only part of the JRIDE plus package that had been installed was the sticker that said "JRIDE plus"!!! Jayco send 3 cartons of equiptment to a local ford dealer to install. It took 3 months!! I have installed all the recommended handling fixes, including a Safety Plus steering stabilizer and it is still poor. The Ford F53 chassis has too short of a wheel base for such a long RV. Good Luck!
Precept17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #18

And that’s the truth and nothing but the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precept17 View Post
I Hate to disappoint you but my advice would be to buy a different RV! I purchased a Precept in 2017 and I cannot list all the problems I have had with it. The poor workmanship and the lack of quality are unbelievable!! When I got mine home I looked underneath because of the bad handling and I found that the only part of the JRIDE plus package that had been installed was the sticker that said "JRIDE plus"!!! Jayco send 3 cartons of equiptment to a local ford dealer to install. It took 3 months!! I have installed all the recommended handling fixes, including a Safety Plus steering stabilizer and it is still poor. The Ford F53 chassis has too short of a wheel base for such a long RV. Good Luck!
WELL SAID !

The Big FORD dealer in Glendale Arizona showed us where the CHASSIS had 3 frame EXTENTIONS welded To make it longer . They said they weren’t very fond of it and Ford would never do that. But LIPPERT did!!
And it is no Good.
Amazing what RV Mfgs get away with. The law is on the side of who has the
BEST ATTORNEYS.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #19

Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Are you buying from a dealer? If so make sure you get a complete walk through and make sure everything works prior to signing anything. If buying private I would suggest getting a professional inspector and doing the same. Internet reviews and discussion tend to the negative, positive results don't seem to get posted that much so you have to take everything with a large grain of sea salt.
Whether buying from a dealer or private party, hire a mobile RV tech to spend at least an hour inspecting your prospective purchase. No money changes hands till the inspection is done.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:18 AM   #20

I own a 2019 Jayco Precept 29V, had a lot of problems, tough getting warranty work done.
harry1313 is offline   Reply With Quote