Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Go to Youtube and look up Quartzsite, I kept hearing about it and one look at the videos turned me off. It looks like a dusty dirty homeless camp, I don't understand why anyone would camp here besides being free.
Well, let's see, perhaps it is one of the few places where you and your club of 30 Rv'ers can meet and circle the wagons for a huge meet-N-Greet where they can enjoy the fire and tell stories and be a bit loud at midnight without some guy parked 10' from you complaining.
Or perhaps you like dirt bikes, or side by side ATV's, or are in a 4-wheel drive group, or are a rock hound, and like to hike. Maybe you like the idea of a hike with your dog where you can let him run free and be a dog and not the captive of a 6' leash.
Or maybe the idea of the largest RV swap meet in the country interests you, or, if you're like me you just can't stand to be in a crowded RV park with no room to breath, some people just don't camp at all, just use their RV as a mobile home that they park for months at a time because of one reason or another. So by your standards I am a 'homeless' person because I like to boondock?, rather snooty of you.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #42

Thanks JesseS for the detailed info...

How's the cell reception and TV signals in those area's? Don't think I could make it without internet for a few weeks. THANKS
Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I have never been to AZ, but want to go next January.

I hear Quartzsite is a big place, can some of you please tell me a good, safe place to boondock? I will need to charge the batteries with my generator daily as I do not have solar yet.

We prefer a place that is not too rough to travel on... I do not want to tear up my Jayco or Diesel truck.

A place where other Jayco travel trailer folks park would be real nice.

Thanks for your help.
Pretty much any of the BLM locations near Quartzite is going to be fine. We right now just have a 21ft 2017 jayco jayflight TT, we paid less than 15k for it new, ALL the other rigs out there are bigger and better than our current rig other than 1 van camper who just looked like another nature enthusiast, we had tons of space between us.

Both sunrises and sunsets are amazing, and I loved hearing coyotes yapping at night. Otherwise it was quiet and perfect. We are totally going there again. We are currently at one of the most expensive RV parks around (paying over $1200 a month) and I MUCH prefer boondocking on BLM land than rv park parking. We have to be where we are now because hubby has a temp job with a medical clinic, but I really can't wait till we get to hit the road again in a couple weeks and go CAMPING!
LandTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Thanks JesseS for the detailed info...

How's the cell reception and TV signals in those area's? Don't think I could make it without internet for a few weeks. THANKS
Cell reception is good, data will be slow during the 2 weeks of the big tent swap meet. TV is spotty and only within about 10 miles of town and LOS, they have a low power repeater.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandTAdventures View Post
Pretty much any of the BLM locations near Quartzite is going to be fine. We right now just have a 21ft 2017 jayco jayflight TT, we paid less than 15k for it new, ALL the other rigs out there are bigger and better than our current rig other than 1 van camper who just looked like another nature enthusiast, we had tons of space between us.

Both sunrises and sunsets are amazing, and I loved hearing coyotes yapping at night. Otherwise it was quiet and perfect. We are totally going there again. We are currently at one of the most expensive RV parks around (paying over $1200 a month) and I MUCH prefer boondocking on BLM land than rv park parking. We have to be where we are now because hubby has a temp job with a medical clinic, but I really can't wait till we get to hit the road again in a couple weeks and go CAMPING!
AWESOME, like my DW, you have a great sense of adventure.... Camp On!!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Go to Youtube and look up Quartzsite, I kept hearing about it and one look at the videos turned me off. It looks like a dusty dirty homeless camp, I don't understand why anyone would camp here besides being free.
Well the crowds there don't support your theory. Seems like many are attracted to it and love the experience. I have seen many tv shows on Quartzite that did not look like the people were not enjoying themselves.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Well the crowds there don't support your theory. Seems like many are attracted to it and love the experience. I have seen many tv shows on Quartzite that did not look like the people were not enjoying themselves.
Been going the last ten years love it. Now if you are not a dry camper, and would not like up words of 750000 campers, and do not like shopping! Which maybe takes three days to walk and see it all. And dislike the desert climate. Quartsite may not be for you.
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #48

We're up off Plomosa Rd again for a few days. I prefer this area to others in Q. LaPosa & Hi Jolly are too dusty. I prefer the east side of the mtns towards Bouse but my wife prefers the west side (can see that there are no snakes when she's walking )
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #49

Many campers out there this time of the year?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #50

Right about now many campers are thinking about heading home for spring, but yes in March there should be lots of people still in Quartzite for sure. Starting in April/May it's time to start seeking out cooler temperatures if you are a full-timer, so they will head for the coast or mountains taking their time to enjoy themselves.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #51

Quote:
YouTube videos of Quartzsite... you mean like this one? https://youtu.be/iEpR2cE0j-E

Some of those rigs START at 400k and go up from there. If that is a homeless camp then sign me up lol
Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Many campers out there this time of the year?
Not up here on Plomosa. Town is pretty quiet now too.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:32 PM   #53

Then that's probably how we would prefer it, not right on top of each other. This image is of our "homeless camp" while out on Plomosa lots of quiet space between us and other campers.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #54

Now that's nice any thing going on in town?
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #55

I sure want to go to Quartzsite next winter.

So, how can I make it 14-days without solar? Would two 6-volt golf cart batteries with my inverter generator running during the day, be enough to make it pretty well?

We do watch LOTS of (LED) TV.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 05:59 AM   #56

OK, let me try this again... When boondocking at Quartzsite do you use solar power or a generator to charge your batteries? Thanks
Old 03-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #57

With two six volt batteries and running a generator as needed you will have no problems. Just remember you need a generator big enough to run your air conditioner if that is your plan.I use two hundred watt solar panels to keep my batteries charged and never have a problem. I also carry two Honda 2000 inverter generators as a back up and want air conditioning. To just charge your batteries one will work just fine.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #58

Quote:
I sure want to go to Quartzsite next winter.

So, how can I make it 14-days without solar? Would two 6-volt golf cart batteries with my inverter generator running during the day, be enough to make it pretty well?

We do watch LOTS of (LED) TV.

Thanks
I thinks running your generator 2-3 hours in the evening should be no problem. You may need additional water and propane and there is a dump station on 95 just north of town.We were there Martin Luther King week pretty cold at night used up a tank of propane for the furnace. Enjoy should be a good time!
Attached Thumbnails
quartsite flag XX.jpg  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandTAdventures View Post
Then that's probably how we would prefer it, not right on top of each other. This image is of our "homeless camp" while out on Plomosa lots of quiet space between us and other campers.

Plomosa is a terrible place to go. Everyone should go to Hi Jolly or the LTVA.

(think they'll buy it? trying to keep the volume of RV's further south of here )
Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Plomosa is a terrible place to go. Everyone should go to Hi Jolly or the LTVA.

(think they'll buy it? trying to keep the volume of RV's further south of here )
OH! That's right! It's terrible, what was I thinking?!?

But in all seriousness, they all are pretty similar, so no matter where you park it it's gonna be a nice way to winter.

Someone asked about a generator, and yes people do use them. Please have a decent one and not the cheapo contractor LOUD one or it may be hard to make friends.

We have not wintered there yet, I imagine that people staying the whole time go to the LTVA instead of the BLM areas where they are limited to just 14 days. The LTVA areas have a dump station, a place to get potable water, some public bathrooms. We didn't camp there but drove around to get some info for future plans.