Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Question on charging

Today I went over to the covered storage where we keep our 2015 precep 35un. Battery was dead it had sat approximately 2 weeks, used the boost to start it ran it for 30 minutes and checked the charging to the battery 14.5 volts so it is charging the battery. My question is if I had plugged it into the outlet provided 110v 20 amp would the engine battery get charged. Also I am getting a battery analyzer from Amazon will be in Friday. Checking for a weak battery, also water in battery is fine. Original battery
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

I know it might be a redundant question but, did you disconnect the mains before storing it? I don't believe that the phantom draw would kill good batteries in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #3

This will happen unless you keep a Battery Tinder on the chassis battery. Plug in the MH and use an outlet inside the MH to power the Battery Tinder. Plug the output of the Battery Tinder into a dashboard 12 volt outlet and it will trickle charge your chassis battery.

I've been using one of these for years for my various MHs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your Precept may also be different than my Greyhawk. It could also be wired to charge your chassis battery if plugged in to shore power. I don't know for sure.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

My understanding is the chassis battery (the one the starts the engine) is separate from the house batteries (one that runs 12V stuff in camper side) Only the house batteries are tied to the converter so they would be the only ones to get charged by having your shore power plugged into an outlet. However if you were plugged in, you could the run a battery tender from one of your 110v outlets to the chassis battery.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #5

Thanks everyone

I decided to go with one of the suggestions on the battery tender have ordered one from Amazon will also check the load on the battery before I trickle charge it my other problem is that everytime I connect to a 20 amp plug to charge the motorhome with a Camco converter chord I tripped a GFI at the storage yard I have tried shutting off the inverter which was a Jayco problem solution was AZ to shut off the inverter but it's still tripped then when I was driving home I realized that I never turned the battery main on so maybe that's the reason why the GF I tripped so I will go back and try that when I get the trickle charge I used to be able to charge my Seneca at the storage yard using just a 20 amp plug with a converter chord 50 amp to 20 amp pigtail
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #6

It's my understanding that 120 volt shore power will charge both house and chassis batteries (in that order)
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #7

Make sure you don't have some phantom draws that you're not aware of.
I had a van once that would drain it's battery in just a few days. I spent months trying to find out why - then my girlfriend (now wife) asked why my glove box light was shining through the cracks even though the box was closed. Turned out the switch on the glove box light was broken and that light stayed on all the time.

By the way - are you sure your refrigerator light actually goes out when you close the door :-).
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
It's my understanding that 120 volt shore power will charge both house and chassis batteries (in that order)
X-2 Unless JAYCO changed something.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #9

All batteries on your coach, chassis and house, charge when
1) shore power is connected. A simple drop cord from a 20 amp service will handle battery charging in storage.
2) driving the coach or running engine.
3) running generator

ANY of those conditions will charge every battery on your coach. A simple test to check for correct operation is to take voltage measurements during charging. Voltage should be above 12.7 on each battery and after being charged overnight the voltage will reach the 13.3 volt maintenance setting of the charger. Voltage higher than 13.3 would indicate the battery has not reached full charge and the charger is still in higher rate.

An easy test to check if driving is charging the house batteries would be to have someone turn on the inverter while underway and select the "supply voltage" mode of inverter display. It should read higher than 12.7 and could be as high as 14.5 depending on state of charge.

There is no need to add a battery tender on your coach as it has one built into the converter. As long as shore power of some type is connected, the batteries will stay charged.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote