Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

Question on charging precept house batteries

I used to have a 2007 seneca,we now have a 2015 precept 35un, nomally i would use a pigtail that plugs in the side of the seneca that would allow me to plug into our house plug. This would allow me to charge the house batteries ,when i use a pigtail which is 50 amp dowm to 20.amp on the precept it trips the gfi at the storage yard am i doing something wrong.
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #2

I have 35UN use 30 amp at home to charge coach with no issues. I wonder if the gfi has a problem??
street rod 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

Are you using an EMS to see if the power is wired correctly at the post ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

Gfci trips with 20 amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpey View Post
I used to have a 2007 seneca,we now have a 2015 precept 35un, nomally i would use a pigtail that plugs in the side of the seneca that would allow me to plug into our house plug. This would allow me to charge the house batteries ,when i use a pigtail which is 50 amp dowm to 20.amp on the precept it trips the gfi at the storage yard am i doing something wrong.
Just got mine out of the shop in an attempt to fix this problem. According to Jayco this is a known issue. When plugged into 20 amp with a gfci circuit the inverter causes the circuit to trip. The fix is to throw the breaker for the inverter. Just out of the shop and haven't tested this but was assured they tested and that solution worked. A bit of a kludge but I would rarely need the inverter on when using 20 amp -
Old 06-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Mik

Just had the same thing change the GFCI on the house to non-GFCI end of problem.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

Removing a safety device does change the issue. Guess You could remove the main breaker so you have more power available, but I certainly would not recommend it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkwest View Post
Just got mine out of the shop in an attempt to fix this problem. According to Jayco this is a known issue. When plugged into 20 amp with a gfci circuit the inverter causes the circuit to trip. The fix is to throw the breaker for the inverter. Just out of the shop and haven't tested this but was assured they tested and that solution worked. A bit of a kludge but I would rarely need the inverter on when using 20 amp -
This is the fix. You will find the breaker in question in the box mounted on wall near foot of bed. Open the cover and see a row of fuses and a row of breakers. Turn off the breaker marked for inverter then your shore power should work.

You won't need the inverter as long as you are on shore power anyway. You can use lights, fridge, TV, radio, everything EXCEPT A/C on a 20 amp service. The inverter is only needed if you want to watch TV while on battery power. It can also be used to power a CPAP machine when sleeping in rest areas where no shore power is available. I do this often. The only receptacle with 120 volt ac power while on inverter is the one next to passenger seat but a drop cord to the bedroom will work great for CPAP or other low wattage equipment. There is one more socket powered by inverter under counter where TV is plugged into. It is not accessible for normal use though.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

I have a 35UN plugged into a 30amp service at home with no issues, From time to time, when our friends stay over in the 5er, they plug into the 30 amp and I plug into a 20 amp service with no issues for battery charging, I just can't use AC when plugged into the 20amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Duo.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

I have a 2015 31UL and I use a adapter down to 15amp from 50amp and plug into my garage GFI outlet without any issue. I always make sure the power is toggled off before I plug into the outlet.
Dave
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #10
Mik

As I said in my other post had this problem it was my brother in-law who is a 40 year electric contractor that told me to change the GFCI plug on the house to a standard plug. He said that two GFCI plugs down line from each other won't work best to leave the one on the inverter. He also said it was safe to do just though wags999 would like to know that just in case he thought I was getting ready to take out the main breaker
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
This is the fix. You will find the breaker in question in the box mounted on wall near foot of bed. Open the cover and see a row of fuses and a row of breakers. Turn off the breaker marked for inverter then your shore power should work.

You won't need the inverter as long as you are on shore power anyway. You can use lights, fridge, TV, radio, everything EXCEPT A/C on a 20 amp service. The inverter is only needed if you want to watch TV while on battery power. It can also be used to power a CPAP machine when sleeping in rest areas where no shore power is available. I do this often. The only receptacle with 120 volt ac power while on inverter is the one next to passenger seat but a drop cord to the bedroom will work great for CPAP or other low wattage equipment. There is one more socket powered by inverter under counter where TV is plugged into. It is not accessible for normal use though.

Thank you for this insightful reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
I have a 2015 31UL and I use a adapter down to 15amp from 50amp and plug into my garage GFI outlet without any issue. I always make sure the power is toggled off before I plug into the outlet.
Dave
"the power is toggled off"?? I don't understand. At some point, power is turned on. Ted
Old 11-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #13

Tried all suggestions

I tried everything that was suggested no luck.still trips changed location s still did it I shut off all breakers turned on one at a time narrowed it down to power converter when I energize it I hear what sounds like a contactor pull in and it trips no problem with 30 or 50 amp have not looked at the converter yet it is under the bed does anyone know what the amp is on the converter or what type it is thanks
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote