Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

Questions about towing 1/2 ton pickup

I have a 2018 Precept 31UL and would like to flat tow my Denali pickup. The Motorhome tow rating is 5,000 lbs and our truck is 5,100 lbs. if I upgrade the Motorhome hitch to 10,000 lbs rating and do the same with a blue ox tow bar will I have any other problems? I plan to install a brake buddy system and lights also. The Denali is 4wd and is able to be towed on all fours.

Thanks for your help!
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

I do not know what the ramifications are of replacing a 5,000 lb hitch with one rated for 10,000 lbs. Probably the most important stat is CVWR which is the total weight of the MH including contents plus whatever is being towed. Contents or cargo includes fuel, water, propane, food, gear, pets, humans, etc. - in other words anything inside or attached to the MH. The vehicle being towed will have fuel plus anything else you put inside. The CVWR of your MH should not exceed 26,000 lbs. You need to weigh your fully loaded coach and subtract that weight from the CVWR to determine how much weight you can safely tow. Just because your hitch and tow bar have ratings greater than 5,000 lbs. does not necessarily mean that it is safe to do so. I personally would not do what you are proposing to do but that’s just me. If your actual weights can be adjusted to keep your your MH within its rated CVWR then it’s probably OK. I’m sure other members with more expertise can provide better insight. Good luck with whatever you do but make it safe for everyone, especially your family.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice!

For us safety is top concern. That’s why I’m asking the question. I will be sure to check the weight of our coach closely to see if we’re over limits. I’m trying to avoid selling my corvette so I can buy a tow car. Also the truck would be great to have on our trips. My first estimate for tow bar and brake setup on the truck was $4,200. 😧 ouch. Thanks again for your response!
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
RWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmeat View Post
I have a 2018 Precept 31UL and would like to flat tow my Denali pickup. The Motorhome tow rating is 5,000 lbs and our truck is 5,100 lbs. if I upgrade the Motorhome hitch to 10,000 lbs rating and do the same with a blue ox tow bar will I have any other problems? I plan to install a brake buddy system and lights also. The Denali is 4wd and is able to be towed on all fours.

Thanks for your help!
I own a Alante 31V and did have a custom hitch welded onto the frame. It is rated at 16K but the coach is not. The 5K hitch was made in mexico and bolted on. My Jeep Rubicon with accessories came in at 5150 lbs and I wasn't comfortable maxing a sub quality hitch out. The cargo carrying capacity (CCC) of my coach is around 3300 lbs. After a four corner weigh in fully loaded including full gas and water I still had 1100 lbs to spare. Its important that your load is evenly distributed. I have an 18K chassis and a combined vehicle weight ratio (GCWR) of 23K. For the sake of safety I would never exceed 23K, this affects braking, transmission and structural components. By upgrading my hitch I got to steal some weight from my CCC but have not exceeded my GCWR. I just got a much stronger hitch receiver for peace of mind. I also use a supplemental braking system and a 10K rated tow bar. I read to many horror stories of people losing their tow vehicles. As long as your numbers are right I don't see an issue with your idea, but get the coach weighed and verify. Good luck, tow vehicle selection is a tough decision.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #5

No one has mentioned the additional load on the engine. Your Denali will likely weigh in over 5500 pounds in towing configuration, consider the added strain to your drive train plus much greater fuel consumption.

I would not do this for all of the above reasons. I tow a Wrangler Unlimited and at 4400 pounds I can tell it's there on hills and when I need fuel.