Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #1

Rear Tires - Stem Extenders

Hi.

Wondering what people are using for extending the stem for the rear outer tire. On my Alante 27a is a pain in the butt to work with that stem... trying to get my gauge in there is a complete project and also my tire minder TPMS sensor.

I was thinking of using the extensions below:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Duali...e%2C246&sr=1-3

and also using:

https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...d-hole-dl175f/

Not sure the extension stabilizer will work with that extender.. I'm just looking for something to ease the pain

Thanks in advance.
-JJ
Old 08-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #2

Not sure if the 27a is like my 29f, but I had a similar issue until I realized taking the hub cap off made it very easy to access the factory stems and only takes a few minutes to remove.
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #3

Remove all of the extenders... throw them in the trash.

Air your tires to the correct pressure and install your Tire-Minder sensors right on the valve stem. From there on thru the year - check your pressure with the Minder display.

Each year in the spring when prepping your rig for the season, order new batteries, caps and o-rings (mostly free from Minder) and replace the batteries and re-install your minder sensors with the correct pressure - go all year again.

Now for clarification - You still need to visually inspect your tires before each departure, along with a pressure check from the cab of your vehicle(DW can do the pressure check).
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Remove all of the extenders... throw them in the trash.

Air your tires to the correct pressure and install your Tire-Minder sensors right on the valve stem. From there on thru the year - check your pressure with the Minder display.

Each year in the spring when prepping your rig for the season, order new batteries, caps and o-rings (mostly free from Minder) and replace the batteries and re-install your minder sensors with the correct pressure - go all year again.

Now for clarification - You still need to visually inspect your tires before each departure, along with a pressure check from the cab of your vehicle(DW can do the pressure check).

Ditto, extenders are just more trouble than their worth. Just pop off covers.

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Ditto, extenders are just more trouble than their worth. Just pop off covers.

I think you're right, that is the easier and safer way. Is that Little T included with the rig? I don't think I have that on mine.. Or which one should I get for the right size?

I learned something new everyday. No more finger cuts trying to get to that valve stem.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #6

Mine was in rig. Came with it when we bought it new.

Not sure what they call those T’s.

Jam Nut Tightening Tool maybe?

Contact Jayco or local RV dealer.

#Bru_Tube

Old 08-24-2022, 02:31 PM   #7

Do you remember were was yours located on the rig? Maybe I haven't look on the right spot.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:46 PM   #8

You can use a socket, I think 3/4", just find the two caps that are not part of the wheel cover itself (has the crack between nut and wheel cover) otherwise you may be buying a new cover.

My tool was in a drawer in the bedroom with part of a hose. Still not sure what use the hose is intended.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:29 PM   #9

I just double-checked and it is a 1 1/8" socket.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #10

Thanks Boiler. I went to check on my Alante 27A and it seems there are 3 caps that I need to remove in order to get the wheel cover out. They are like in a triangle pattern. I was able to remove 2 of the caps with bare hands but I couldn't get the 3rd one out and I didn't have the tools with me.

Am I right that on 2022 Alante 27A there are 3 caps instead of two?
Old 08-28-2022, 01:16 PM   #11

I have a 29f with 19.5 wheels and only have two. Once they are off, it is relatively easy to pull the cover off (maybe it sticks just a little). Not sure about your rig though, sorry.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:11 AM   #12

I have my TMPS and Alligator Flow Thru Valve Stem Caps on my rear dual inside valve stems and they flush out to the face of the wheel surface. Also here is a photo of the hub cap nut tool.
Attached Thumbnails
Valve stem.jpg   IMG_2134.jpg  
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeleco View Post
I think you're right, that is the easier and safer way. Is that Little T included with the rig? I don't think I have that on mine.. Or which one should I get for the right size?

I learned something new everyday. No more finger cuts trying to get to that valve stem.

You should have it somewhere in you coach and if you don't call the dealer and let them know.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:53 PM   #14

Hi,
My 2021 Alante 27a has 3 hand nuts as well, Vibration and such makes them a bit tight sometimes. I needed to buy a 1 1/8 socket to install my steering stabilizer and it fits fine on rim nuts.
I installed tpms recently without the need for extenders, i agree on replacing batteries yearly.

Pete
Old 09-02-2022, 09:57 AM   #15

Get these too;

JEGS Hub Cap Hammer | 14” Long | Ideal for Removing Hub Caps or Wheel Covers and Installing Them Without Damage | Plastic Handle With Rubber Faced Hammer

https://a.co/d/5ukccdb

SAFELIFE Air Chuck, 1/4" FNPT Dual Head Air Chuck, RV Truck Heavy Duty Tire Chuck for Inflator Gauge Compressor Accessories

https://a.co/d/1eb278d

#Bru_Tube

Old 09-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkmaster View Post
I installed tpms recently without the need for extenders, i agree on replacing batteries yearly.

Pete
We use the free replacement battery program... every year we replace the battery, O-ring and Caps.

From the TireMinder website:
To use the TireMinder Battery Replacement Program, you must have previously sent in your TireMinder Warranty Card to us by mail or email. If you have not previously sent in your TireMinder Warranty Card, please send a filled out copy to info@minderresearch.com.

We will also send out O-Rings along with your batteries at no cost. The amount of O-Rings will match the amount of batteries selected. The amount of batteries requested must match the amount of transmitters owned. If you need extra batteries, please give us a call, (772) 463-6522.

$5 Charge for Shipping and Handling
Caps $5 Extra, up to the amount of transmitters owned.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #17

This is what I used on my dully rears on my read hawk, I’ve had them on for 2-3 years, 30k miles, no issues. I did modify the brackets to mount to my simulators. Came out great, holds my TPMS sensors without an issue.

Phoenix USA AML1 Air Inflation Kit https://a.co/d/8TIMhvy
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #18

I installed these on my rear duallies last year and work with the tireminder:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:43 PM   #19

Rear Wheel Valve Extenders

Quote:
Hi.

Wondering what people are using for extending the stem for the rear outer tire. On my Alante 27a is a pain in the butt to work with that stem... trying to get my gauge in there is a complete project and also my tire minder TPMS sensor.

and also using:

Not sure the extension stabilizer will work with that extender.. I'm just looking for something to ease the pain

Thanks in advance.
-JJ
You said it right. It is a pain and it's pathetic that the RV industry has not done something about making the valve stems easily accessible with rear dual wheels.

Examples you are referencing are good things to use but I can't see how those short extenders will reach where you want them to go.

There are two ways that are used a lot by RV'ers and I have used them both with success for years. First of all, the rubber gromets are good for stabilizing whatever extenders you go with so they don't rub metal-to-metal against the rims.

As for extenders, you can use the metal mesh covered flex tubes that are anchored by brackets that fit under the decorative hubcap retainer nuts. Or you can get long, straight metal extenders. The trick with the long straight extenders is that you may have to bend the valve stems on the inner rims so that the extenders exit through the middle of the rim access holes. The must be centered pretty well or, when insert them through the gromets, the gromets will deflect them too much which can cause the valve stem inner gaskets to be pushed out of shape and you can get slow leaks. That happened to me. I had to have the valve stems re-bent. See these links...
Attached Thumbnails
20180412_110512.jpg   20170915_153127.jpg  
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Hi.

and also using:

Thanks in advance.
-JJ
I have TPMS and extenders , Taking off the hub cap often will break the tabs. Yes I could take all off and fill pressure and put TPMS on once a year in a perfect world. I do agree with the o ring and batteries once a year, it will tell you when to change them so I keep batteries in the glove box.
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote