Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Removing the sofa on a 35S

Has anyone removed their sofa, or had it removed, as it came from the factory?

If so, how hard was it and how did it come out of the coach?

What did you replace it with?

Would like to know if I can do it and then replace it with 2 wall hugger rocker-recliners I can attach to the floor or a recliner sofa. Thanks!

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:07 AM   #2

Many of us have removed sofas/loveseats and thrown them in the trash. Takes about 10 minutes just start removing screws. It's light too so I can be a one man job. I replaced with residential furniture but to do over I would get RV theatre seating. It's lighter and easier to install. Also the dimensions of the RV furniture take compact spaces into account. All of the furniture bolts together in smaller pieces and can be assembled in the coach.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #3

Will start measuring and find a suitable replacement that fits. CW has a Seismic Series heated, illuminated, power reclining w/seat massager theater seat for about $1,600, so that could be a possibility to start looking. They indicate installation is $112 but don't mention removal cost or if it's included. Will start finding out and end with pics of the process when done. Excited!

Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

Our '16 35S has a really comfortable sofa and people that have slept on it when opened to a bed say it is comfortable to sleep on. We'll keep it.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #5

Roved sofa

Greetings, I removed my sofa and replaced with 2 wall hugging recliners. Check my posts and pics. Search "mountaineyedoc".
mountaineyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #6

Removing the sofa on a 35S

Ordered electric recliners with center section from CW. Need some guidance on removing original sofa bed on our 35S prior to their arrival. I promise pictures here of the whole process. Please share your comments, opinions and suggestions. Planning to start on May 1st.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #7

Don't know if it's like jack knife loveseat on 31 ul. I just removed cushions, opened up bed, and unbolted middle from sides, sides from floor. You'll end up with a handful of bolts and washers. Due to the center being bulky you may need someone else to help you get it out the door. I opened my slide and dismantled right there.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Ordered electric recliners with center section from CW. Need some guidance on removing original sofa bed on our 35S prior to their arrival. I promise pictures here of the whole process. Please share your comments, opinions and suggestions. Planning to start on May 1st.
We’ve gone down a very parallel path, I removed our “L” shaped sofa and replaced it with the Thomas Payne theater seating from CW.
Sofa removal was pretty straight forward. The back has a clip mechanism that allows it to be removed from the bottom. Examine the sofa back hinge. My clips were covered with a fabric flap that was velcro’d In place.
IIRC the half of the bed portion required a couple of bolts to be removed and it then came out. The bed end of the sofa was screwed to the “L” portion which was screwed to a short wall that divides the living/kitchen areas. None of it was attached to the floor. I started by looking for things that had to be removed to get it into pieces and once I got going it was pretty simple. To simplify things I cut the back cushions off and removed them separately (the whole thing was headed to the dump anyway).
We already had a couple of recliners which we “recline” in but watching anyone trying to be comfortable on the sofa was painful. I may or may not attach the new stuff to the floor. The recliners are not attached and don’t move around in transit so I’m not in a hurry to screw down the new sofa.
We started with the 3 pieces that make the sofa and I found I had enough room for one of the center armrest piece. It should be delivered today. I found removing and installing to be a 2 person job.
Very pleased with the new sofa, very comfy!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #9

I ordered the power recliners with a center section and looking forward to getting them. Also have massage, heater and lights. CW promptly hit my credit card for the full amount. When I enquired about delivery, was told 6-8 weeks. Called Lippert and they confirmed it would be a while. Won’t start disassembling sofa until I know the 3 sections are in their way. Patiently waiting... not!

Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
I ordered the power recliners with a center section and looking forward to getting them. Also have massage, heater and lights. CW promptly hit my credit card for the full amount. When I enquired about delivery, was told 6-8 weeks. Called Lippert and they confirmed it would be a while. Won’t start disassembling sofa until I know the 3 sections are in their way. Patiently waiting... not!
Congrats on the purchase, Palms! I bought thru CW too and discovered mail order apparently doesn’t have any real inventory, of large things anyway. I asked about shipping to the local brick n mortar store hoping to avoid shipping costs but they said they couldn’t. After a week or so I emailed CW about my stuff and they got me a tracking number so I was able to watch it crawl towards me. Fortunately I had other projects that kept me from “standing at the stove waiting for the pot to boil.
I ordered a 3 recliner sofa which arrived in good shape. Then discovered I had room for a center arm rest which I ordered (got them to give me a break on shipping). When it arrived it looked like it’d been harpooned, huge hole in the box and the armrest. I contacted CW about the damage, sent them pics of the box and armrest damage. They seem to be handling its replacement. Waiting on it’s arrival.
I may have room for a second center armrest which will be great.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Congrats on the purchase, Palms! I bought thru CW too and discovered mail order apparently doesn’t have any real inventory, of large things anyway. I asked about shipping to the local brick n mortar store hoping to avoid shipping costs but they said they couldn’t. After a week or so I emailed CW about my stuff and they got me a tracking number so I was able to watch it crawl towards me. Fortunately I had other projects that kept me from “standing at the stove waiting for the pot to boil.
I ordered a 3 recliner sofa which arrived in good shape. Then discovered I had room for a center arm rest which I ordered (got them to give me a break on shipping). When it arrived it looked like it’d been harpooned, huge hole in the box and the armrest. I contacted CW about the damage, sent them pics of the box and armrest damage. They seem to be handling its replacement. Waiting on it’s arrival.
I may have room for a second center armrest which will be great.
Great, hope your replacement works out well. What did you replace with the purchased unit? If on a 35S, please let us know how you proceeded in taking out the fold out sofa bed? Thanks!

Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #12

Our 5th is a 351 RLTS Eagle Premier but I suspect most of the furniture will be very similar in construction.
I removed an L sleeper sofa. The bed was an air mattress which got horrible reviews from our son n DIL, wound up never using it and the seating surface was showing wear.
The sofa cushions were sewed to the covering so I cut them free.
I attacked the L part first and got it out of the way, just a few screws none of which were in the slide floor.
The sleeper part was next. I rotated the back forward and figured out how it came off. I studied the seat portion and figured out what seemed the easiest way to take it apart. IIRC it broke down into 3 pieces.
It all fit easily thru the door and wound up on the curb on heavy trash day.

Some of it could have been broken down into smaller pieces but with my neighbor’s help we managed.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Our 5th is a 351 RLTS Eagle Premier but I suspect most of the furniture will be very similar in construction.
I removed an L sleeper sofa. The bed was an air mattress which got horrible reviews from our son n DIL, wound up never using it and the seating surface was showing wear.
The sofa cushions were sewed to the covering so I cut them free.
I attacked the L part first and got it out of the way, just a few screws none of which were in the slide floor.
The sleeper part was next. I rotated the back forward and figured out how it came off. I studied the seat portion and figured out what seemed the easiest way to take it apart. IIRC it broke down into 3 pieces.
It all fit easily thru the door and wound up on the curb on heavy trash day.

Some of it could have been broken down into smaller pieces but with my neighbor’s help we managed.
Great! Will let everyone know with picture tutorial when we receive it! Thanks again.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #14

Palms

Host is your sofa replacement going? I’d like to see pics of the space after you remove the sofa.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #15

My most sincere apology for not having posted. Taking out the existing sofa was the biggest difficulty and I had to release the ram on the bottom of the door so that it barely fit through after taking it apart! The Camping World powered, heated and vibrating theater seats with lights were easy to assemble and they went in without any problem. As they had to be mounted further from the wall than the originals, I used an angle drill to fasten the bases to the floor. Not super-steady but it does the job. I installed it flush with the dinette and you can't make out the color difference. It does now have a 10" or so gap from the other side to the slide wall and we're looking for some kind of little table to put in there. Getting the electricity to the recliners was done by snaking a wire on the slide side of the dinette and then plugging it into one of the receptacles under the dinette and that works fine. I have to tell you that my wife and I, as well as everyone else that has sat in them consider them to be the most comfortable recliners they've ever sat in. They also look really plush. We have friends that have the same brand recliners without the power and they're quite different so, if you're considering it, go full bore and you won't regret it. I will take pictures and post the final product towards the end of the month when we get the motorhome back.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #16

Thanks Palms, any time you can get around to it I'd appreciate the pics and details.

We are in FL until probably April and then back to Cincinnati. I'm interested in what lies under the original couch when removed.

Probably won't start this project until we get back if our tush's can survive that long
Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #17

We are doing this as well, as soon as possible. What did you all do with the sofa you removed? Ours is almost new, only have 6000mi. on the coach and it was hardly used, since neither of us cared for it. How did you get rid of the old one?
Av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #18

Can’t speak for Palms but I’ve read where they must be cut up to get them out the door. Even if you could get it out whole I don’t know that anyone would have an interest unless it’s a freebie for a college apartment.

Not much demand for a jack knife sofa bed unless one would be wanting to refurb an older RV on the cheap.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #19

Didn't have to cut it up as it separates into various sections. It would not fit out the door by the slightest of margins which I resolved by removing the little lift from the bottom of the door, allowing me to open it flat against the outside wall. That was enough to get it out. I did this all by myself and was the hardest part. It's worthwhile for your back to get someone to help you take it out. After is was out disassembled, our housekeeper took it for her son who did a mini platform and is using it in his house. Don't know if the garbage people would have taken it away without some kind of prior authorization. I have to tell everyone that this has been the biggest improvement that we so much enjoy every time we use the motorhome.
PS - I haven't forgotten about the pictures and will post as soon as I'm able to take them!

Old 02-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #20

Went to visit Jada's Hut today and took the pictures below of the resulting installation of the Theater Seating purchased from Camping World. The color even closely matches the original upholstery:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3324.jpg   IMG_3325.jpg   IMG_3326.jpg