Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #1

Replace Infotainment System In Precept 31UL

OK - I've searched high and low and haven't found the answer to what to me is a simple question! The dash mount infotainment system in our 2020 31UL needs to go. Where it's located it is difficult to see and the controls are pretty much useless while driving. So I've found a 10" replacement that will fit in the spot, but I have a question about the hookup for the backup and turn signal cameras. Both the current Soundstream unit and the Jensen replacement have a single input for a camera. Am I correct in assuming that the switching device to select which camera is activated and displayed is already present somewhere in the coach? And is it simply a matter of removing the Soundstream and replacing it with the Jensen, and I'm good to go? (Assuming, of course, that I've hooked up all the wires correctly.)

Thanks in advance!
Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #2

What type of system are you putting in? I have a Jensen JRV215N and I don't like it.

The only part I really like is that the weather alert will come on no matter where I am and alert me. Does your's do that?

The in-dash navigation is useless because there is no easy way to update it, nor do I want to look down that far to look at it when I'm driving. Strangely though, it keeps yelling at me that I'm "over the speed limit" even though I'm not. Haven't figured out how to disable that yet.

The bluetooth interface nothing remarkable. I can't really use the camera views until I get non-polarized sunglasses because it looks very dark.
xraymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraymiller View Post
What type of system are you putting in? I have a Jensen JRV215N and I don't like it.

The only part I really like is that the weather alert will come on no matter where I am and alert me. Does your's do that?

The in-dash navigation is useless because there is no easy way to update it, nor do I want to look down that far to look at it when I'm driving. Strangely though, it keeps yelling at me that I'm "over the speed limit" even though I'm not. Haven't figured out how to disable that yet.

The bluetooth interface nothing remarkable. I can't really use the camera views until I get non-polarized sunglasses because it looks very dark.

Looking at a Jensen CAR1000. https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-Touchs...a-872125886856
It's received really good reviews and has a 10" screen with much better resolution. As for navigation, we have a Garmin RV770 that the wife handles. Also, both phones have Google maps that are updated automatically; so we're in good shape there.

You're absolutely right about looking down. That's why I'm interested in the larger screen that can be tilted upward. Plus, the icons on the Soundstream are nearly impossible to make out when trying to work the controls. And the camera images aren't that great, either. Sound is distorted, so may be replacing speakers while I'm at it. It's only money, right?
Old 09-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

Huh?

At the same time that I posted here, I sent Jensen an inquiry. Response received today:

Thank you for contacting us. As long as the existing Camera input is a RCA cable then yes you will be able to connect this to this radio. However this radio is not an RV radio. RV radios will have a couple functions set differently that regular car stereo's do not. First being RV radios do not mute the sound when the camera is active and when using a blink the RV radios will return to the backup camera. Also RV radios have zones that control the outside and inside speakers, With a regular stereo you will have to manually fade them in and out each time.
The RV equivalent of this model from Jesnen in the RV line is the Axxera AVM2210H and is sold directly By Thor.

Not sure I understand this. How does the unit (either an "RV" or an "automobile" unit) "know" when to mute? Wouldn't that signal be managed by the switching device? As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if the audio is muted - actually would rather it not be. I did respond asking for clarification. Seems to me that if the hookups are proper (and they are the same RCA plug), then all should work. But then, there I go assuming again!
Old 09-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #5

Well, now it looks like the Jensen won't work after all. The backup camera is activated ONLY when in reverse; there's no separate switch/button to turn the camera on while driving.

Mickey

I do apologize after looking into the CAR1000 there is no camera button so this model will only trigger the camera while the vehicle is in reverse and while using the blinkers. This radio does mute all sound when the camera is triggered off of the Reverse (+) wire.
Since these radios only use a single RCA input that means that the RV company installed a module box that all 3 cameras plug into and ten one RCA is sent to the radio. There are wires that go to your reverse circuit then the blinkers themselves. The camera button is a default to backup cam , the blinkers send a pulse that triggers the automatic function off of the reverse(+) wire. I am unsure why Thor will not sell this to you, We are supposed to send everyone that needs to replace or buy one to Thor or one of their RV dealers.
Axxera Tech Support

So the only recourse, if one wants the features of the Jensen AND to be able to turn the backup camera on independently, is to buy the model from Axxera. And you can only do that through a Thor dealer.

Looking for Plan B now...
Old 09-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #6

Just called the local Thor dealer. The Axxera unit - just like the Jensen, but has the camera button - $920. Jensen unit on Amazon is $350. Sad...
Old 09-15-2020, 12:09 AM   #7

Mickey, I replaced my OEM POS infotainment system with a separate GPS, a separate backup / rearview camera and a very functional Bluetooth radio.

I hated the review camera would go away when using the GPS, the GPS and review camera going away when tuning the radio and the worst thing was, finding the button for the rearview camera, GPS or radio after using the turn signals.

Now I can watch the rearview camera, while I watch the GPS, while I tune the radio and use the turn signals... all at the same time. Without frustration !!

Norab
Old 09-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #8

Thanks, Norab - not sure I want to go that far. I do have a Garmin RV770 which the wife uses, so GPS is covered. What I'm looking for is a larger screen and controls for the infotainment system that are easier to see and operate.

What equipment did you buy?
Old 09-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #9

Kenwood DDX795
Old 09-16-2020, 04:51 AM   #10

Thanks - will check it out!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #11

I got rid of my Sounstream. Use the Gramin 770 for Nav. The camera's in my 2020 Precept 34G went into a switch box that was made by RVS (Rearviewsafety.com). You will find if you don't bypass that switcher box there is a constant delay of a few seconds from when you turn on a blinker before it appears on the screen. Useless. So I dash mounted a dedicated screen for cameras - 7" TFT LCD Digital Quad View Color Monitor - RVS-6137Q - $269.99. It has inputs for 4 cameras and all 3 stay live constantly. It instantly goes to full screen when you put on a blinker or go in reverse. My backup camera had a mic and now I can also hear someone back there directing me through the screen. I replaced the Soundstream with the Sony XAV-AX5000 from Crutchfield. Absolutely love the new setup!
Bernheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:54 AM   #12

SUCCESS! Received the new Joying 10.1 a couple days ago and installed it yesterday. Thought I was going to have to splice in the wiring connector, but the universal connector they included accepted the two harnesses perfectly - plug-n-play, with the only exception being the hot wire for the backup/turn signal cameras; had to hook that up independently. Powered it on and everything seems to work fine. The sound is much improved over the Soundstream, and I'll be replacing the front overhead speakers later today - may add a subwoofer depending on how the new speakers sound. The 10" diagonal screen is a big improvement in visibility. Will try to take a picture and post it later.

Huge learning curve on its operation, though! Instructions leave a lot to be desired, especially for this seventy-year-old who's not up to speed on touch-screens and icons... I'll be experimenting with this for quite a while.

Again, thanks to all who contributed!

Mickey
Old 09-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #13

Here 'tis - posting two pics from cellphone:
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20200930_133848582.jpg   PXL_20200930_133856680.jpg  
Old 10-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #14

I'm with most of you, my soundstream unit is misplaced as it is hard to see and operate especially while driving. Also, in my previous RV's there wasn't a delay when you turned a turn signal on. The Soundstream there is a delay that when you are turning you are almost through the turn before the screen comes up. Any of you have that problem too?
Saxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #15

Sony solution

I replaced the Soundstream with Sony XAV AX5000..
Extremely happy with the system: No camera delay, rear camera screen switch, incredible sound even with original speakers...built in amp, higher resolution/legible screen, Apple CarPlay using USB or Android version. A dedicated GPS is available through Sony but phone connected works fine.
Snapchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #16

The soundstream is an absolute piece of junk. I replaced mine with a PIONEER AVICW8500NEX....camera's worked....it has garmin navigation built in....apple car play, XM radio, etc. Very happy with the replacement. This was in a Jayco 30X MH but same crappy radio.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #17

I chuckle as I write this, I am sitting in my passenger seat taking out my Jensen JRV9000 in my 2017 Greyhawk. And I'm trying to find a worthy replacement. I wish you very good luck. I have read where a few people brought a switch to handle the two side cameras
Ron, Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

Anything is better than stock Ron. You shouldn't need anything additional to run the side camera's. The "switch" is already installed. The Jensen and the Soundstream radio's just had 1 RCA camera hookup...so the sideview camera's and rear camera were already connected to a switch that just has one video RCA connection.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #19

Mickey, thanks for starting this thread and your solution so we have current models to think about. When I looked up the Joying, it said you had to use their accessories, such as back up camera. How did you get around that? You mentioned some hotwiring in one of your posts.
Wandrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #20

That's the way it worked for me. Replaced the Clarion with a Kenwood. It has one input and works as designed. Must be a video switcher somewhere in the mix already.
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote