Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarr View Post
Thanks new batteries on on the list. The coach only has 2 Harris Batteries - 27D170. Considering replacing with Lifeline AGM batteries - as many/as large as will fit in the 14x14x12.5 space/shelf.
Those were the exact batteries I had prior to my conversion. They are "dual-purpose" batteries, not a true deep-cycle battery. My set would never fully charge regardless of how long the coach was plugged in. As soon as I would unplug, the voltage monitor would only show 3/4.

New batteries now stay at full for days when I am not doing anything to draw them down.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #22

Your batteries should be load tested before you jump at buying anything. To assume what's the problem is an excellent way to spend money with little or no results. A multimeter with a little knowledge will give you a lot better perspective on exactly where the problem is. Batteries certainly could be the problem, it also could be a faulty indicator. None of the factory indicators that comes built in the campers have any degree of accuracy.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #23

Thanks.

Thanks for the thoughts all. Will see if I can have the batteries tested. I did apply a voltmeter directly to the batteries and after a week of being plugged in the voltage was 12.67V with no load. Jayco stated the batteries should have been closer to 13.6V fully charged.
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #24

If you had shore power hooked up, 13.6 volts would make sense. If you were disconnected from shore power for a length of time, 12.7 volts would be normal. All depends on when you tested.. If you had been hooked up for several days and had 12.67, there is clearly a problem and batteries would be the first place I'd check.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #25

6V or 12V batteries

Thanks all, slightly different question. If the converter/charger is fine - perhaps the batteries are just too small for our needs.

We have a battery tray that is 14"x14" and 12.5' high - so we have room for two batteries.

Should we choose 2 6V or 2 12V batteries? The assumption is that they have similar amp hour ratings - approx. 200 minutes at 25A.

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:33 PM   #26

You will have two lines forming, one advocating for 12-volt batteries and the other for 6-volt. True deep-cycle batteries of either type would probably serve you very well. Proper care is probably the most important aspect to good service.

One factor you may consider is that if you only have room for two batteries, if you convert to 6-volt batteries and one fails while camping you are out of luck. No DC power unplugged. With two 12-volt batteries you could disconnect the one bad battery and still be in business.

I am in the 6-volt camp, but I have 4 batteries. If I have one die I can take a pair of batteries out of the loop and keep camping.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:59 PM   #27

Your choice of batteries can be determined with how you use them. If most of your camping is done with electric hookups, it is a big expenditure with little return to go with 6 volt batteries. A marine 12 volt or two will do just fine if mostly hooked up. 6 volt are clearly the way to go if you spend much time dry camping. 6 volt batteries are 11+" in height. Gives you very little room for cables and connectors if it is a closed top battery box. I have that problem is why I didn't go with 6 volt batteries. Ended up getting US deep cycle 12 volt batteries that is still a snug fit. You could go with two group 31's with the dimension size that you indicated. If you spend a lot of time dry camping, The expenditure for true deep cycles are worth the investment. If you only dry camp on rare occasion, it's probably money spent with out much return.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #28

If it turns out the batteries have failed, keep in mind that they were probably junk when you got them. So it may not make any sense to do anything except get some good batteries!!!! I would assume that this is a warranty issue. Why throw money at a problem that may not exist. Two group 27 batteries (the size you have) will produce a lot of power.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #29

Thanks

Morning all, thanks for the good suggestions - will noddle on them for a while. Not in a rush to spend money.

We do dry camp often so the more capacity the better. Had not considered the one downside of 6v, since we can only fit a bank of 2 batteries.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #30

I have a 2016 precept 31ul. The harris batteries are mismarked. Normally most 27d battery's will give you 95Ah each. Because we do alot of dry camping, I change to 2 6 volt US batteries rated at 232 minutes. @20hrs. True deep cycle batteries. Weight 60 lbs each compared to the harris at 50 lbs. More capacity and less money than AGM. Typically, the more weight means more lead and a higher capacity. They run about $130 each. These batteries fit into the service bay with about a vertical inch to spare when sliding the tray. After 30 years of camping with 6 volt batteries, I have yet to get a totally dead battery. It might drop one cell when approaching end life (about 5-6 years). Also I am very pleased with converter Jayco installs. Very good battery charger. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #31

Even with the main power switch off, there is a parasitic draw of about .200 amps. Over 30 days that's 144 amps drained from battery. Install a battery disconnect switch on the negative side.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:18 AM   #32

Thanks. Good advice. Will take a look at US batteries