Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #21

I had my dealer install a Truma last April and it’s performed flawlessly. Best decision I’ve made . The Gerard was constantly acting up.
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #22

A couple thoughts if you do the up grade. Spend the extra money to buy the comfort model, this unit has a small pump that will recirculate the water in the heater to keep it at 45’f. While many of you are based in the south and it might not matter the units are expensive enough that I would not want to chance it if I got a cold snap.

While the comfort is freeze protected I found that the truma unit doesn’t operate while under way so there still is a possibility of freeze up during cold weather drives. To solve this issue truma has an electric module that takes the place of the filter unit. This unit runs off the 12 volt control wires and will keep the heater from freezing up. It will not heat the water very much but provides enough heat to prevent freeze up down to -4’f. This also doesn’t protect the water lines in the coach but does protect the heater.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Wishing everyone a merry Christmas and many safe miles of travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Nice job. How did you locate a unit to self install? I want to upgrade a truma from the basic unit to comfort model but they say they only sell to dealers.

I had mine upgraded. Cost about $600 total for parts and labor. Here in Virginia there is a guy that will even come to you to do it. Took about 2 hours to do the install. Highly recommend the upgrade if you plan on camping in below freezing temps.
jaboily13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboily13 View Post
I had mine upgraded. Cost about $600 total for parts and labor. Here in Virginia there is a guy that will even come to you to do it. Took about 2 hours to do the install. Highly recommend the upgrade if you plan on camping in below freezing temps.

Do you have full body paint? If so, what did it cost to repaint the new door?

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Do you have full body paint? If so, what did it cost to repaint the new door?

Not required. For the upgrade, they remove the whole unit and install an recirculating pump, recirculating loop, thermostat and new control knob. I put my new control knob next to the main entrance behind the grab rail. You still use the water heater power switch on the command center as well as the one on the unit itself but the control knob allows you to select between eco, comfort, 12v (requires additional upgrade), and decalcify. Works like a champ. Camped in it this winter with night temps down to the upper teens.
jaboily13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #26

Need to be clear, this upgrade is for people with existing Truma units, if you have Gerard, you will have to get a new unit and that would require painting of the door.

I don't think the Truma was available prior to 2018 model years.

You probably can get the door painted for less than $200, depending on the location and coloring in that area.

While I like the upgrade to the comfort model, i dont like the $600 when the difference in price on the new units is only $200, it would have been a nice option to have had from the factory.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #27

I had to have my door repainted after a closing gate caught it and believe it or not, it was $750!!! I see the upgrade is for Truma to Truma though. We've gotten our Girard down to perfection at 95º and only use the hot water handle for as long as we want!

Old 02-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #28

ouch!!! Way more than I would have expected.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #29

I am considering upgrading from Girard to the Truma on my 2014 Greyhawk 31ds. I don't understand the 'painting the door' after the upgrade. What is this about? There is a black access panel on exterior of the coach to the Girard and exhaust vent. Is it his the door?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #30

The panel that comes with the Truma is different than the one that comes with the Girard heater. The panel on the truma comes through one color and then has to be painted to match your coach if you want it to. In my case it would have to be all black as I don't have any graphics on that area, others might have stripes or multiple colors and it will require a significantly more extensive painting.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
The panel that comes with the Truma is different than the one that comes with the Girard heater. The panel on the truma comes through one color and then has to be painted to match your coach if you want it to. In my case it would have to be all black as I don't have any graphics on that area, others might have stripes or multiple colors and it will require a significantly more extensive painting.
My Girard door was black and so is my Truma. No painting necesssry.
Attached Thumbnails
20180110_081859.jpg   20180110_124510.jpg  
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #32

It would seem to me the choice to paint or not would be a personal one depending on one's tastes. Also, considering the prices some people have quoted for repainting their doors, I can't help but wonder if rattle can paint with a clear coat would work. Even if one had to repaint every few years, it still would be less expensive.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #33

Matching the new replacement door with Sikkens paint and multiple clear coats as from the factory full body paint was quite an investment. If I went from Girard to Truma and didn’t want the black stock door, would have to do it again. We think it was worth it.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #34

That just hurts to look at. I can see why that is an expensive paint job. Four colors plus top coat. Love the look of full body paint but the cost related to it can be painful.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:26 AM   #35

I wish you were closer I would use your local dealer and just get it done. Your about 2 hours south of me.
Wild4Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #36

I realize this is an older thread but I am posting my update to it anyway. After much complaining and gnashing of teeth Jayco agreed to replace my original Girard3 unit with the Truma Comfort model while under warranty. After several weekend outings over the past couple of months I can now confidently say that it was worth the wait as there is no comparison. My DW has officially given her blessing to the Truma unit and gladly showers in the MH now instead of the CG bath house. This coach is now everything we anticipated and expected when we purchased it 21 months ago. Now if we can only maintain this level for the foreseeable future I won’t worry what the grass looks like on the other side of the fence.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #37

Lucky me

I guess I must be considered the lucky dog here. We are still using the Girard in our 2016 Precept 35S (23 months) and have not had any reason to complain.

I like my water temp about 98/99 F and DW likes 104/105 so we compromised and set the temp to 120 (for dishwashing) and just mix a tiny bit of cold water to get the shower temp we like. So far at the campgrounds we've stayed there is adequate pressure to operate in this fashion.

My only modification was to remove the orifice in the shower hose to get max flow.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:55 AM   #38

We're still using Girard. With good pressure and above 40 degrees or so it works fine. Cold temps and low pressure it's a crapshoot shoot.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote