Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Replacing Loveseat sofa bed 2016 31UL Precept

GOODBYE Loveseat/tri-fold bed. This is for our 2016 31UL Precept (build date Oct. 2015). Our requirements for the replacement were many. 1. Keep the same pass way distance with the slides closed as original (8”). 2. Seat height should be low enough that the feet touch the floor. My wife is 5’3”. 3. Find a color that would be the same or complement our Cappuccino color scheme. After checking all the different sources that have been mentioned here and elsewhere, we contacted Mastercraft Inc. who also built the original “sofa-bed” and dinette seating for Jayco. Bingo. They met all requirements and match the fabric(BIG plus) . We had it installed by a custom RV interior shop. They had to reroute the large wire loom and use some carpet that was underneath the loveseat to put across the front foot edge of the slide. It is very comfortable and suits are needs quite well. FYI Mastercraft makes 3 different styles in both the 59” & 70” width. They normally make manual units (which we wanted) but on request could make electric units. Pictures are before & after and the recline position.
Attached Thumbnails
trifold sofa from door.jpg   new recliners installed.jpg   recline postion.jpg  
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #2

I bought my 2018 Precept 35S in May from RVs of Sacramento with the deal that the dealer would replace the couch/bed with factory theater seating. The work was completed three weeks ago and the theater seating is an exact match for the rest of the interior (French Vanilla).

Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
- US Army Field Regulations, 1861
Cliff_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

Jayco did not have an option in 2016 for theater seating. In fact, they told me it was not possible to retrofit our coach. This year, our rv dealer offered to install the Thomas Paine recliners for about $1900. We didn't care for the color options nor the seat height and a narrower pass through.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #4

We replaced the loveseat/fold out bed in our '16 Precept 31UL with a Flexsteel powered theater recliners with center cup holders/remote control storage. Additionally, there are powered USB ports too. Major improvement in comfort, didn't change the walk-thru space and fit almost perfectly, (60" wide total).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170922_071646236.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	41939
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #5

Nolsrv, Where did you get your flexsteel unit and what color did you get? I never could get good info about the unit.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

I got the Flexsteel recliners through 'RV Interiors' located in Riverside, CA.
Their number is (951) 688-4829 and Loren is the manager/owner there - nice guy and did a fine job on the installation. The color was an almost perfect match, Cappuccino, and we couldn't be happier. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #7

Dear Nolosrv,
Wow! That's exactly what my wife and I are looking for!
Thanks for the info. Did you install it yourself?
Can it be delivered, or did you pick it up.
Very excited to here more about it!
Thanks
Russ
Bracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

I installed ours using the Thomas Payne ones from CW, the series that is motorized.
Took out the sofa by myself and also installed the new ones by myself. You will need to use self tapping screws to attach it to the slide. This is in our ‘17 35S.
Took more time to take out the existing sofa than to install the two new sofas and centerpiece.
The color match is extremely close, so close you can’t notice it unless you look. My wife and I only regret we didn’t do this from the beginning as the difference is night and day.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #9

Ok , your Jayco dealer must be Richardson's. My DW and decided we did not want the center console so we can sometimes squeeze 3 small persons on the 2 recliners(lol) and without further information about flexsteel, we purchased the mastercraft units.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

I just swapped mine out. Bought the recliner from Recpro online. Free shipping. Installed myself in an hour. Hard part was getting the loveseat/bed out. The wiring was run overtop of the frame of the loveseat/bed. Had to disconnect the wiring and reroute it so it wouldn't interfere with the recliner install. Total cost was $701. Very happy with the outcome. Sold the loveseat/bed today. Best decision I ever made.
Dashersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #11

Russ, I had RV Interiors procure and install the Flexsteel theater seats. They're powered and while not super wide with the center console, we really wanted the console/cup holders/remote control storage. After we decided what we wanted, Loren ordered the seats then called when they got to his shop, and we set up a time to drive to him and he installed and hooked up power in a couple hours. He's a good guy, does all kinds of interior furniture/design work and was thorough.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #12

Thank you so much for your response, we will definitely be looking into it, I think it's a great upgrade!
Bracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

How much mine are trash after 2 1/2 years. Was going to Lazy Boy! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #14

Very interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolosrv View Post
We replaced the loveseat/fold out bed in our '16 Precept 31UL with a Flexsteel powered theater recliners with center cup holders/remote control storage. Additionally, there are powered USB ports too. Major improvement in comfort, didn't change the walk-thru space and fit almost perfectly, (60" wide total).

Attachment 41939
Hello, we are very interested in the theater seating you installed, we also have a 16 Precept and are very dissatisfied with the sofa/bed and dinette seating. Would it be possible to get more information on the purchase you made? Did you slide out require modifications?
Thank you, Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:29 AM   #15

Russ, no alterations to the slide, the Flexsteel powered recliners were the same width as the fold down sofa, (terribly uncomfortable!), so other than removing the sofa and placing the recliners, (bolted down thru floor boards in the slide), and adding an AC power outlet and hard wiring the recliners to that, were the extent of the alterations. We love them and are much more comfortable. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #16

Thank you, you've been a big help! Safe travels!
Russ
Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #17

These look fabulous..... it's exactly what we are looking for! I have tried a number of different places but have not been able to find these, would you mind sharing the details?
Thanks, Russ
Old 02-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #18

The details are within this string of comments above but the recliners are FlexSteel brand and are powered and a huge improvement over the stock 'sofa'. RV Interiors in Riverside, CA ordered and installed them, They did a good job and no alterations to the slide was required. We did add an AC outlet behind the recliners so it was easy to plug them in for power. Loren is the manager there and the number is: (951) 688-4829. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolosrv View Post

Attachment 41939
Where did you order this from? Thanks
kennyadams23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #20

Flexsteel is no longer making RV furniture, does anyone have any suggestions for other brands that would fit this space? TIA
MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote