Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

Post Roof info for Solar Panels

Have a 2020 Alante 31V Motorhome and want to install Solar Panels. Does anyone have info on best mounting area, roof underlayment etc? The MH is prewired for solar but lacks info on mounting.
Pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #2

Because you have a motor home and a fiberglass roof if I’m not mistaken, instead of a rubber roof. I know several guys who have used 3M VHB double sided tape to hold down their panels. No holes drilled. Stuff works great. You can also use flexible solar panels and just stick them down.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Cool Great thoughts.

Nathan:
Tks for the input. I hadn't thought about the tape. My concern there would be the AZ heat in the summer. Would it loosen, or not? Since I already have the panels (100W) the flexible panels are a mute point right now.
Pancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

That stuff is a pretty amazing product. Just do your research, I think you’ll find it will do fine. Not that you wouldn’t need to inspect them every now and then.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

The Alante roof is a textured fiberglass and 3M (I emailed them) does not recommend using their vhb tape on a moving vehicle and especially not in a textured surface. The wires included at the factory are probably too thin to use with multiple panels but may be ok with one. You should contact Jayco customer service and they will provide you the schematics for your unit. In my 2016, the wires are sitting under the roof towards the front near the antenna.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
Have a 2020 Alante 31V Motorhome and want to install Solar Panels. Does anyone have info on best mounting area, roof underlayment etc? The MH is prewired for solar but lacks info on mounting.
Hi Pancho,

Are you sure the 2020 Alante has the solar prewire? I checked its specification and I did not see it has the solar prewire option?

Thanks,
Cal
travinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
RWK

Jayco motorized told me (via email response) my 2017 Alante was not pre-wired for solar. They've been spot on for ladder wall schematics and satelite dish wire locations.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWK View Post
Jayco motorized told me (via email response) my 2017 Alante was not pre-wired for solar. They've been spot on for ladder wall schematics and satelite dish wire locations.
My apologies, my 2016 has satellite cables pre-wired, not solar!
Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 AM   #9

Best Flexible Solar Panels

Since the folks on the thread are talking roof-mounted solar panels, I'd like to hear from people who have purchased flexible panels. What is the best product on the market? What's the best way to attach it to the roof? And anything else that might be nice to know.

I have an X17Z. There is no solar prep on the roof, but I believe I'm handy enough to figure out how to wire it in.
Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar install