Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

RV Dash Project Complete

I just finished a dash project on our 2019 Alante 26X. Thank you to everyone who has answered questions along the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7584.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	64523

This is what we did:

1. New Radio – I didn’t like the position of the factory radio. I found it hard to keep an eye on the turn by turn directions and to see the camera view. I installed the Pioneer DMH-C5500NEX. The nice thing about this unit is the touch screen is separate from the sub-chassis. I built a small housing for the touch screen out of ABS plastic, and it mounted on top of the dash using RAM mounting components. It is of course nice having Apple Car Play and Pioneer just updated the software to now include Alexa which will be nice.

2. Dedicated Camera Monitor – In tight city driving I found it tough not be able to see the next couple turns from the navigation software because my blinker would have the side camera showing. Sometimes it would multiple turns each less than 100 feet which doesn’t leave a lot of time for the screen to change back from the camera view. Now having a dedicated fix that. It also nice to be able to just always have the rearview (usually the JEEP view!). I wired up the audio, so it only plays while in reverse, so I am not listening to the rear camera microphone while driving.

3. Switch Panel – Using the void left by the factory radio I used the space to add some additional switches.
a. Left/Right Camera – This switch allows me to switch to the left or right camera view without the turn signals needing to be on. This is useful when driving in construction zones where the concrete barriers or plastic barrels have given us a pretty tight lane. I can flip to a side camera view and make sure I’m far enough away. It is really nice to be able to look at a side view when backing up as the backup doesn’t take priority.
b. Stereo Mute – Although having a conversation in the Alante while travel is not really possible due to the loud road-noise, it is nice to have a quick mute button to silence the stereo.
c. Camera Monitor – Turns Camera Monitor On/Off
d. Radio – Turns Radio On / Off. I didn’t like that while the master power was on that the radio was always on. I installed a soundbar with a subwoofer for the TV so we don’t need the TV audio to play through the stereo. It still can if we want it to and sometimes, we listen to AM/FM, podcast or Amazon Music through it, but it’s nice to switch it off when we don’t need it.
e. USB and Voltmeter – Always nice to have some more charging ports and bonus it has a voltmeter
f. Jeep Brake Light – The Jeep supplemental braking system sends a signal to a red LED to let me know the brakes are pressed.

4. CAT Barriers – Our cats thought it was so fun to climb behind the dash and explorer. I’ve built panels to keep them out of there they will be disappointed our next trip out.

Name:	IMG_7503.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	64524

5. Dash Cover – Added dash cover to help protect the dash and helps with the mounting and hiding of wires.

Next Project change out my cup holders to better fit our Yetti cups…

Edit: Adding one more photo to show drivers view point while taking the RV to the service center today.

Name:	IMG_7591.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	64525
Ryan_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:19 AM   #2

well done. seems like that was a lot of work.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #3

That is impressive! I'm assuming you took out at least the passenger seat to accomplish all that - especially the cat barrier.

Somewhat related: where was/is your camera switch box located? I'm trying to make a couple of changes to my Precept, and haven't found mine yet - thinking it might be where yours is.

Thanks,
Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #4

I did remove the seats to install the cat barrier and to help find the brake controller harness on the driver side.

Name:	IMG_7504.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	64554

The camera switch box was located behind the stereo in the picture its the black box I have outlined in Yellow with part number CSW3014? printed on the label. For me, it was just four screws to remove the black centerpiece to get behind it.

Name:	IMG_7512.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	64553

On the back of your radio you will see the camera input (yellow RCA) if you follow that about 3 feet you'll likely find the switch box. There are three wires coming out of the switch box to the radio, Video out, Audio Out, and the trigger wire which sends 12 volts to the radio in order for it to know to switch to the camera view. On the other end of the switch box it had trigger inputs for reverse, left and right turn signals and 3 camera inputs. My camera had a priority plug the manuafuture is voyager.
Ryan_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #5

Thanks, Ryan - will do some more digging!
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup camera, camera switcher, navigation, new stereo