Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #1
JWH

Safe T Plus

I own a 2019 29v
I installed a safe t plus a year ago. I have been reading on RV forms that RV owner’s see a world of difference In the way the coach handles ie; steering,
Keeping the coach centered, truck blow by, recovery from dropping off the edge of the pavement. I called the company Jan 24, 2020 and they verified the same as what I have read. Frankly I have yet to realize any of the said benefits, none of the above , to me the steering is no different then when I didn’t have it installed and know I’m questioning weather or not it will help in event of a front tire blow out. The company wants me to stop by so they can check it out on my way back from Florida in April, not really keen on the idea, but may have to for peace of mind.
Can anyone comment on weather the forum’s are correct in what they say or is it what I’m experiencing
NO DIFFERENCE at all
All help will be appreciated
Thanks Joe
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #2

Dont have a MH, but if they aren't out of the way, and you have the time, I'd do it. Might get a bit of free labor, to make adjustments.

I'd also run through a CAT scale, and confirm your weights, both total, and distribution across the front and rear. You might be nose light.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Can anyone comment on weather the forum’s are correct in what they say or is it what I’m experiencing
NO DIFFERENCE at all
Thanks Joe
The Safe-T-Plus is similar to the Ford OEM shock stabilizer that comes on the rig.

What you have is a partial solution, but not a complete solution to the problem. Many of us have installed the Roadmaster Relfex steering stabilizer, which has the addition of a spring, which helps center the rig.

Also, many of us have replace the weak front Ford OEM sway bar, with a Helwig upgraded sway bar, which really helps the sway and rocking. There are some other things to do. A quick search in the Class C forum will get them for you.

Here's the difference between the standard Ford steering stabilizer versus the Reflex:
Attached Thumbnails
Reflex.jpg   Reflex install.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Here's the difference between the standard Ford OEM sway bar and the Helwig thicker front sway bar. Big difference!
Attached Thumbnails
front sway.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
I own a 2019 29v
I installed a safe t plus a year ago. I have been reading on RV forms that RV owner’s see a world of difference In the way the coach handles ie; steering,
Keeping the coach centered, truck blow by, recovery from dropping off the edge of the pavement. I called the company Jan 24, 2020 and they verified the same as what I have read. Frankly I have yet to realize any of the said benefits, none of the above , to me the steering is no different then when I didn’t have it installed and know I’m questioning weather or not it will help in event of a front tire blow out. The company wants me to stop by so they can check it out on my way back from Florida in April, not really keen on the idea, but may have to for peace of mind.
NO DIFFERENCE at all
Thanks Joe
The safety plus is intended to. do one thing only, that is to assist with keeping the wheel centered in the event of a blowout on the front axle.

One thing I have seen in the last 10 years of viewing forums, the latest, greatest' bestest, thing that comes along gets a ton of positive reviews no matter how worthless the item actually is. People are not willing to admit the item is a piece of crap and let their imaginations tell them it is great.

If you want real advice, do not trust anything you read on the forums and go to a reputable suspension shop and talk to them about your concerns and let them make recommendations and tell you what you can expect if you implement the recommendations.

I installed it on my Challenger for the blow out protection only. It did allow me to reduce the grip on the wheel when driving but that is it. It did nothing for truck blow by, cross wind handling, or tail sway. And as a note, I felt the Challenger handled relatively well going down the road with the stock setup and a front end alignment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

I can attest that it did make a world of difference on my Alante 29s. Prior to installation the motorhome steering was very loose, and it was always wanting to wander along. I had to constantly correct the steering to keep in my lane.

Now with the Safe T Plus, I can drive much more comfortably and with one hand on the steering wheel. No question that it was well worth it. Also now have the added benefit along with a more pleasant driving experience, of a more controlled front end blow out should that ever happen.
Barrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
JWH

Safe T Plus

Thanks guys for the infoThat’s what I had it installed for, blow outs
Not the other stuff I have been reading about

I did all the other upgrades to handle the other problems, which it has
JWH
JWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #8

Agreed

Sold the Harley, Sold the Vett, turned around and bought a Precept!
Somanhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
I own a 2019 29v
NO DIFFERENCE at all
Thanks Joe
You’re complaining that it’s not working or working to your expectations and the Company offers to look at it for you and you’re not keen on the idea?.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
The Safe-T-Plus is similar to the Ford OEM shock stabilizer that comes on the rig.

What you have is a partial solution, but not a complete solution to the problem. Many of us have installed the Roadmaster Relfex steering stabilizer, which has the addition of a spring, which helps center the rig.
The Safe-T-Plus is nothing like a stock Ford stabilizer, it is self centering just like the reflex but the Safe-t-plus spring is internal.

I added a Safe-T-Plus to my Seneca for the blow out safety and self centering feature. It makes a big improvement on a Seneca which already drives great.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #11

I agree with Rustynuts. When properly adjusted the SafeTplus does as designed. If you are having tail wagging the dog then you need a Trac Bar, if you have sway you need better or added sway bars and since you have a '15 you can do the CHF.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:24 PM   #12

I also had a Safe-T-Steer installed on my Alante, I could have just disconnected the Power Steering and had the same effect. I was trained on how to handle a front tire blow out... I am 64 years old and drive a lot of miles and as of yet, still no blow out to exercise those skills I acquired so many years ago. I do wish I had invested that money into a Track Bar or Air Bags for the rear of my coach. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety posts