Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Safe T Plus F 53 chassis

It's the off season up here, so I'm shopping for things. There are many upgrades out there in the aftermarket world for us to choose from.

I'm looking into the Safe T Plus for my Alante 31V 2017 Model. Do any of you have experience with this system? Was it worth the money? How much money was it to install it? Can you do the install yourself?

After speaking with the rep from the company, we determined I need the Tan system for this chassis. I just don't want to be throwing money at it, if it's not a substantial improvement.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #2

We have installed the Safe-T-Plus ourselves on all our motorhomes and wouldn't be without out one for the primary reason they exist which is to prevent an out of control situation if a front tire blowout occurs.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

do you notice any difference in handling at all? I understand the need for a dampener in the event of a blowout, just curious about a change in day to day usage?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

The steering stabilizer doesn't change the chassis handing, it's a safety device. We certainly feel how the steering wheel is always trying to return to zero on it's own--it can take some getting used to.

We have also added front and rear trac bars, sway bars, Koni shocks, and Sumo Springs to replace the factory bump stops. Each affects our chassis handling to eliminate that feeling of driving a high-profile box on wheels.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
do you notice any difference in handling at all? I understand the need for a dampener in the event of a blowout, just curious about a change in day to day usage?
I can tell you on our precept I noticed a handling difference immediately. That and tire pressure I now roll at most any legal speed even with a car in tow.

I would not say it's not the end all but it certainly helped us. The safety issue with a blow out is priceless.

Steve
Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

Mine arrives this week for a 35S, hard to believe Ford doesn't have a steering stabilizer on this chassis. Watched a video of an owner in New England traveling down I95, little to no steering wheel movement. That and the blowout protection convinced me.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

Yes, it improved handling on our 2015 Precept 31UL, plus it is a necessary safety device. However, recommend having a front end alignment as part of the installation.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

What have you guys paid for installation, if you don't mind sharing? Some say it's an easy 'self install' on forums, but I'd like to compare, see if it's worth the 3 hr trip to my local dealer.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #9

Local shop charges $112.50/hour for labor

Called a local shop that I have used before for mobile repair and they advised $112.50 per hour for labor, typical out the door is $250 because of road trips to adjust the stabilizer. Their work has always been very good in the past so I have a lot of confidence they can do the job.

I could do this myself if I were home but here in FL the difficulty level is magnified. I don't have a 1 1/8 deep well socket nor a 1/2" breaker bar. I crawled under the front yesterday and vertical space is tight. I've worked in tight spaces before (coal mines) but always had access to plenty of tools to make the job easier.

I may check with Harbor Freight, I could buy more tools and still be ahead not having to spend $250. Watch the utube video from Sate-T-Plus, they make it look very easy with the coach up on a hoist and air tools.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #10

Safe T Plus

I had one installed 1/25/2016. I did it more for the safety reason. I have a 16 31ul. It was installed at there factory in West Atlanta Ga. When I drove home I thought the mh. tracked and came back to center better. The one thing that was a surprise is they checked how far the steering wheel would turn and told me I needed the bigger model. So everyone doing this my need to double check which model you buy. The other thing is if you buy from them they install for free and adjust with road test. Original price was $632 -Upgraded model about $50 more. I know you can by cheaper but after install I was pleased.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #11

Quote:
It's the off season up here, so I'm shopping for things. There are many upgrades out there in the aftermarket world for us to choose from.

I'm looking into the Safe T Plus for my Alante 31V 2017 Model. Do any of you have experience with this system? Was it worth the money? How much money was it to install it? Can you do the install yourself?

After speaking with the rep from the company, we determined I need the Tan system for this chassis. I just don't want to be throwing money at it, if it's not a substantial improvement.
ty
Twelvenaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #12

Just purchased 2017 31v, drive fine, let us now about safe t plus system if you have it installed. What is tan system ? Have j ride already.
Twelvenaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #13

Safe T Plus

Go to there web site it will explain what the tan one is. They told me I needed tan but when I got there they said I needed next size up. I live close to there shop in Atlanta and let them install. I did it more for safety.I have a 2016 31ul. The shop said I needed the lager one because the front wheels turn more. I guess the bigger one has a longer arm on the shock allowing for more movement.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #14

For Sale; 10 month old Safe T Plus, like new with mounting hardware. White in color (they changed colors to red, white, blue) white is same as tan. Will work on 16 & 17 models years on a F53 chassis from 18 to 22,000 lbs. Mine was on a 16 31ul.

Will be about two weeks before I can ship, message me if interested.

$325. To your door. (Lower 48 only)

Steve
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #15

Might take you up on that. Have to check the old cash flow as I just switched jobs. And for whatever reason, I can't figure out how to send you a direct message.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Might take you up on that. Have to check the old cash flow as I just switched jobs. And for whatever reason, I can't figure out how to send you a direct message.
Let me know.

I have had a couple people ask why I'm selling it. We have moved to a larger and much heavier chassis, my Safe T Plus will not work on the new ride.

Steve
Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #17

Steve,

I assume you have the 41-180 and brackets to fit
My 2015 31ul...

If , i will buy it. I am in SF Bay Area.

Send me message if ok and to discuss delivery.

Mike A
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniesports60 View Post
Steve,

I assume you have the 41-180 and brackets to fit
My 2015 31ul...

If , i will buy it. I am in SF Bay Area.

Send me message if ok and to discuss delivery.

Mike A
Mike,

We are traveling at the moment, I will not be home till March 6th, I will verify the exact model number and let you know for sure. Yes the brackets are included.

Thx!!
Steve
Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #19

Very good Steve.

Safe journey

Mike
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #20

Yes, #41-180

Steve