Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Question Satellite Dish and Class A

We're seriously looking at the new 36U class A gasser.
I can't find anything showing an "In-motion" satellite dish or picture/options to have the coach pre-wired so we can put a Travel'r dish on the roof. We were wondering the the arched roof causes an issue with satellite dishes.
Can anyone advise please? We'd like to keep DISH when we travel but can't seem to find how to do that.
DIRVIN0500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #2

Right from the spec sheet.

2-point lap safety belts on all seating areas
Soft-touch vinyl dash
35,000-BTU auto-ignition ducted furnace
Prep for satellite dish
Cable TV hookup with RG-6 coax & video selector switch
Digital antenna with signal booster
Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

I read that but can find no additional information on dishes they may provide, whether wiring was routed to each TV?
Trying to find out more info than "Pre-wired for satellite.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRVIN0500 View Post
I read that but can find no additional information on dishes they may provide, whether wiring was routed to each TV?
Trying to find out more info than "Pre-wired for satellite.
It won't be to each TV, only to the main by the ant booster.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #5

Jayco offers no other factory installed satellite dish support/provision other than ,"Pre-wired for Satellite"? I ask because other manufacturers do.
Trying to compare units we're interested in "apples to apples".
Don't mean to be stubborn or seem confrontational but it's been really hard (if not darn impossible) to find anything on Jayco's website.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Don't mean to be stubborn or seem confrontational but it's been really hard (if not darn impossible) to find anything on Jayco's website.
I know it's not there. They never have put specific wiring layouts on their web site. Your dealer's service dept may have the wiring schematic. As to the curved roof, it wasn't an issue with the first generation SENECAS. Many units had "In motion" receivers.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
We're seriously looking at the new 36U class A gasser.
I can't find anything showing an "In-motion" satellite dish or picture/options to have the coach pre-wired so we can put a Travel'r dish on the roof. We were wondering the the arched roof causes an issue with satellite dishes.
Can anyone advise please? We'd like to keep DISH when we travel but can't seem to find how to do that.
We recently purchased a 36U and also wanted satellite. Called Jayco and they e mailed me a schematic which I took to the dealer before the install. Turned out that they didn't use the factory pre-wire, they simply ran coax to each TV. They said too often the factory wiring is incorrect and can be difficult to trace. We have the Dish traveler and are very happy. When arriving at a new location I use the Dish app to change local channels
GCSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
We recently purchased a 36U and also wanted satellite. Called Jayco and they e mailed me a schematic which I took to the dealer before the install. Turned out that they didn't use the factory pre-wire, they simply ran coax to each TV. They said too often the factory wiring is incorrect and can be difficult to trace. We have the Dish traveler and are very happy. When arriving at a new location I use the Dish app to change local channels
Thanks so much for the information. It seemed hard to believe nobody owned a Travl'r dish or how it was set up.Quite frankly ,"Pre-wired for satellite" didn't tell me crap and I've not found YouTube videos for Jaycos like I've found for Tiffins.

May I ask how much your dealer charged you to run the coax throughout the coach and put in jacks?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks so much for the information. It seemed hard to believe nobody owned a Travl'r dish or how it was set up.Quite frankly ,"Pre-wired for satellite" didn't tell me crap and I've not found YouTube videos for Jaycos like I've found for Tiffins.

May I ask how much your dealer charged you to run the coax throughout the coach and put in jacks?
I think it was around 2K for the Traveler, two wallys and all the installation.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
I think it was around 2K for the Traveler, two wallys and all the installation.
Thanks again... Very fair price figuring the dish itself cost around $1400.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks again... Very fair price figuring the dish itself cost around $1400.
I thought so too. We did it in early December and they were having a special sale. This was not our selling dealer as they don't do satellite installs but another local dealer with a good reputation. Since you're looking at the same coach I'll tell you that they put the Dish mid coach, which is where the TV's are located to reduce the amount of exposed cable on the roof, then used the cabinet in the half bath to access the main TV and one of the wardrobes for the bedroom. Very neat and no wires exposed unless you really know where to look. Also, I'll tell you something to look for before accepting delivery. The black tank valve handle for the rear bath was underneath the coach, meaning that you had to crawl on the ground to get to it. I complained to the dealer and they agreed. At no cost to me they installed a new valve and turned it so the handle comes thru the storage compartment. This is a first year design for Jayco and was just an oversight probably and may have been corrected in later builds. Overall we've been very happy with this Motor home and for a gasser it drives extremely well.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #12

There are some things we really like about Jaycos. The arched roof, the upgraded suspension and Bilstein shocks.
We live in Montgomery Alabama and are only 3 hours from the Tiffin factory. We really like Tiffins and people sing their praises but they're about $20k more than Jayco. Now that the 36U is being made were looking at them as well. There's a pretty good sized Jayco dealer just 50 miles North. We won't order until about a year from now. We're going to sell the house and downsize. Just the two of us don't need 4600 sq ft any longer. Buy the Class A next year and extend a driveway/build a RV garage and retire in 2021. Then.......we hit the road.... All of this, God willing of course.
Did y'all look at other manufacturers? We've heard Jayco dealers will discount pretty well. We found a 36U for $129,950 and didn't think that was too bad The Tiffin dealers will give about 28% off MSRP but it will still run about $150k. Pretty substantial $$ either way.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
There are some things we really like about Jaycos. The arched roof, the upgraded suspension and Bilstein shocks.
We live in Montgomery Alabama and are only 3 hours from the Tiffin factory. We really like Tiffins and people sing their praises but they're about $20k more than Jayco. Now that the 36U is being made were looking at them as well. There's a pretty good sized Jayco dealer just 50 miles North. We won't order until about a year from now. We're going to sell the house and downsize. Just the two of us don't need 4600 sq ft any longer. Buy the Class A next year and extend a driveway/build a RV garage and retire in 2021. Then.......we hit the road.... All of this, God willing of course.
Did y'all look at other manufacturers? We've heard Jayco dealers will discount pretty well. We found a 36U for $129,950 and didn't think that was too bad The Tiffin dealers will give about 28% off MSRP but it will still run about $150k. Pretty substantial $$ either way.
Yes, we looked at lots of other units. Our original budget was 100K give or take so we looked at Thor, Coachman,WInnebago and a few others, all with the same basic floor plan. The quality on those was lacking, especially the Thor. Everything we touched broke or fell off. The dealer we purchased from also sells Tiffin and we looked at them too, but like you found out, the Jayco can be had at a higher discount and we didn't find that the Tiffin was worth the extra cost, especially with the Jayco having a two year warranty. Our 19 36U was an msrp of 188 and got it for 125, which was 33% off. We also didn't like the fridge on the Tiffin. It was a single door and opened backwards. That possibly could have been changed but overall we just liked the Jayco and haven't regretted it at all.
Best of luck whichever way you go. Think I heard that Tiffin was going to offer the liquid springs as an option, albeit at an extra cost.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #14

We originally thought the Tiffin 34PA was "the one" . We had looked at the bath and a half as well. Rumors here about Liquid Springs as well but they're saying they'll probably add another $12k. For that you could put them on your rig (or pert near).
I think I'd like the upgraded suspension that Jayco provides but add a Safe-T-steer.
You just can't beat 33% off MSRP. The best I could find anyone got with Tiffin is 28%.
One question about your cabinets. All the videos say ,"Solid wood door". Are the mane cabinets "wrapped" wood products or are they solid wood as well? Can't wait to see what additions, upgrades, changes Jayco will make in 2020.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #15

They're not wrapped.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #16

Quote:
They're not wrapped.
That's great. Thanks. Hard to tell online. My wife had her knee replaced a few weeks ago so we've not be able to look ourselves. The 36U looks AWESOME !
Old 03-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #17

Quote:
That's great. Thanks. Hard to tell online. My wife had her knee replaced a few weeks ago so we've not be able to look ourselves. The 36U looks AWESOME !
Thanks. We've been on 4 camping trips so far and spent around 16 nites in it and we really have zero complaints. For our budget we feel we got real lucky. Also, if you plan on towing something here are our numbers. Chassis is 24K
Gross combined is 30K. When I took it to the scales loaded for camping except for food, it weighed 20,947 so that leaves us a lot of cushion.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks. We've been on 4 camping trips so far and spent around 16 nites in it and we really have zero complaints. For our budget we feel we got real lucky. Also, if you plan on towing something here are our numbers. Chassis is 24K
Gross combined is 30K. When I took it to the scales loaded for camping except for food, it weighed 20,947 so that leaves us a lot of cushion.
I did see the 24k chassis. We will be pulling a Ford Focus hatchback that we bought last year specifically for that purpose. With a 5k limit on towing we wanted something easy and light. The Tiffin has a 26k chassis but is 2k worth $25k....
Old 03-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
On the Allante/Vision series, the satellite prep consists of two rg6 coax lines from the roof to the main tv, as well as 12v control wiring on the roof. In addition, there is a satellite rg6 coax from the wet bay to the main tv.

I was able to get detailed schematics from Jayco with my vin. I was able to determine that I also have cat6 from the main tv to the bedroom and outside tv that can be used for hdmi over cat6.

I would have a look at Entegra Emblem 36U. The Entegra is built in the Jayco factory and on the Allante/Vision trim level, the Entegra has a bit better finishes. Jayco motorized customer service is fantastic as well. They will send you schematics and any information you need. I was able to get my Entegra Vision for over 36% off msrp, with very little work at all.

Hope this helps...
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
On the Allante/Vision series, the satellite prep consists of two rg6 coax lines from the roof to the main tv, as well as 12v control wiring on the roof. In addition, there is a satellite rg6 coax from the wet bay to the main tv.

I was able to get detailed schematics from Jayco with my vin. I was able to determine that I also have cat6 from the main tv to the bedroom and outside tv that can be used for hdmi over cat6.

I would have a look at Entegra Emblem 36U. The Entegra is built in the Jayco factory and on the Allante/Vision trim level, the Entegra has a bit better finishes. Jayco motorized customer service is fantastic as well. They will send you schematics and any information you need. I was able to get my Entegra Vision for over 36% off msrp, with very little work at all.

Hope this helps...
Thanks much for the Entegra advice. Did some research last night and price is very comparable to the Prestige. What I couldn't find was a build sheet with costs or other possible. For instance, can we get our ACs upgraded to 15k? Are there any other "possibles" that aren't on the extremely limited list on the website?