Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #1

Satellite Dish on Precept

I am planning on getting a satellite dish for my Precept that is " satellite ready" Has anyone put a dish on their roof or on the ground? I'm basically looking at the Tailgater vs the Winguard. Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #2

Alot depends on which provider you have. If you have DISH then either will work and give you HD if you have DIRECT you will probably need the WINEGARD and will only get SD.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

I use the Wineguard MP1 Carryout on a Tripod mount, or in some cases just sit it on the Picnic table. It pulls in HD or SD depending on which Satellite I point at. Being a Canadian I'm on Bell ExpressVu which is essentially DISH. Works great and is simple to setup if I use my GPS enabled Phone and the Sat Finder App.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

I had a Wineguard Traveler automatic installed on my 35UN as part of the deal when I bought my Precept. It is located aprox. right above the pantry behind fridge.

I wanted HDMI feed to all three TVs so the dealer went with wireless recievers that are mounted on back of each TV. The transmitters are in cabinet with Directv receiver with a three way splitter. The system works great and I have 1080 at all TVs. This makes DVDs look bad as they are on component wires.

The Traveler is a nice dish and one push of the power button and you are watching Directv in full HD in about three minutes! Be sure you have a Directv receiver and remote with RF ability as the receiver hides inside a cabinet out of sight. I love my set-up.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

I have a Winegard RoadTrip Mission and DirecTV. Had them installed in March on my 2015 Precept 29UM. The Roadtrip Mission is an "in-motion" unit but due to limitations of DirecTV, it only provides SD quality. It is OK and I have enjoyed it, but I really miss having HD, and for what I'm paying for the DirecTV service, I am a little put off by the fact that I can't get HD service. I would have gone with DISH but my crew chief wants motorcycle racing and DirecTV is the only network with beIN, a European sports station. That one channel has cost me through the nose and given me much poorer picture quality. The RoadTrip Mission has a power switch that lights up. The light got so hot that it caused the power switch to fail, so I had it replaced with an opaque switch. The Precept is only wired for one satellite, so unless you want to have additional wires run through the coach or you use wireless receivers like mowdoc (btw, DirecTV told me their "Genie" wireless receiver would not work with my configuration), you are stuck with one choice of channels from one receiver. I do have a toggle switch which allows me to still use the factory installed "bat-wing" Winegard over-the-air HD antenna, along with a converter which converts the component signal from the DirecTV receiver into a coaxial signal. I directly connected an HDMI cable to the front TV so I can watch the antenna programming on other TVs. Like mowdoc, my DirecTV receiver and remote have RF ability so use the remote anywhere inside or outside the coach, a nice feature! Overall, I'm happy with it but wish they would make HD available.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #6

My understanding is the Trav'ler is the only dish for Directv that tracks three satellites at once. They are 101,99 and 103. Direct flies 5 birds but only Spanish and educational programming on the other two. All the HD is on one or two of the three listed. The in motion dishes do not track the correct satellite for HD. I have a Wineguard Carry-out dish that I used with my old 5th wheel but it does not receive the HD programming either. That is why I insisted on the Trav'ler on my new Precept.

I do not have a Directv Genie in the RV. The signal comes to the receiver via coax and then comes out as HDMI to a three way splitter. Each leg is fed into a transmitter built for this purpose and sent wireless to mini recievers on each TV where the signal is delivered thru HDMI to the set. I have 1080 available to all TVs this way. Those trans/receiver things were not cheap according to the tag on the boxes. About $500 each!! Glad I got the dish thrown into the deal!!
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:47 AM   #7

Thanks guys

I ended up with the Winegard Pathway X2. Yesterday was the second time I set it up and it's work good. I plug it in and by the time I hook up my water and electricity, It's ready. I can switch easily from TV to DVD and back. That's as techy as I can get.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote