Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

Screen door broken hinge - Repaired

I had 2 broken hinges on the screen door. Jayco said I would have to replace the entire door. A local dealer and the manufacture(Dexter) said the same thing. Estimated cost including 4 color paint about 3,000. At the big box store I purchased a piece of aluminium angle stock that 1 1/4" and 1/16 thick. Also got the 6 minute quick setting JB weld. I cut 2 pieces of the angle stock to match the width of the old hing. After removing the paint on the old hinges, I applied the JB Weld at the edges of the split hinge and also on the flat surface of the old hinge. Then quickly placed and screwed the new angle stock. Six minutes was plenty of time. Now I have a hinges that are double the thickness and much stronger. The only thing I might add are a couple of pop rivets if I have enough clearance. First 2 pictures are of the broken hinge and the 2 are of the repair Hope this help other folks.
Attached Thumbnails
broken-hinge-open-m.jpg   broken-hinge-closed-m.jpg   repaired-hinge.jpg   repaired-hinge-backside.jpg  
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Way to think outside the box! Do you know why it broke? I have never seen one break like that.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:30 PM   #3

I have felt the screen door always under tension as it would spring open as soon as was unlatched. The middle hinge broke last year and last month the bottom broke. I also ground down the edge of the screen that sometimes would bind on the door jam even though the coach was level. There does not seem to be any tension now in the closed position.
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave55 View Post
I had 2 broken hinges on the screen door. Jayco said I would have to replace the entire door. A local dealer and the manufacture(Dexter) said the same thing. Estimated cost including 4 color paint about 3,000. At the big box store I purchased a piece of aluminium angle stock that 1 1/4" and 1/16 thick. Also got the 6 minute quick setting JB weld. I cut 2 pieces of the angle stock to match the width of the old hing. After removing the paint on the old hinges, I applied the JB Weld at the edges of the split hinge and also on the flat surface of the old hinge. Then quickly placed and screwed the new angle stock. Six minutes was plenty of time. Now I have a hinges that are double the thickness and much stronger. The only thing I might add are a couple of pop rivets if I have enough clearance. First 2 pictures are of the broken hinge and the 2 are of the repair Hope this help other folks.

Well done! Great pics as well.
Father of 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 04:35 PM   #5

This is a great idea - I too have a Dexter door with a broken screen door hinge and it has been driving me crazy that I cannot fix it. Why design something like that??? I am going to give your idea a try. Thanks!
R2V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 03:58 AM   #6

I had the same thing happen to my screen door. I was able to get a new hinge from Dexter, but found it was impossible to replace without removing the door. I did something similar to what Dave55 did, only I created the angled piece out of flat stock. Works like a champ.....I'll see if I can get some pics later on today.
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 07:40 PM   #7

Thanks for this. Pics would be great. I am assuming that you had to drill holes for the piece that attaches to the screen door and then used JB Weld or something similar to hold to broken hinge?
Old 11-13-2023, 10:25 AM   #8

Great idea on that hinge fix, I’m going to put that one in my repair file
Old 11-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #9

As promised, pics of broken screen door hinge fix. I attached the sheet metal and the broken hinge part to the screen door using the existing three screws. I then attached the sheet metal piece to the other piece of the hinge using pop rivets.
Attached Thumbnails
hinge1.jpg   hinge2.jpg  
Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Toad
2008 Honda Gold Wing Level 3
1968 Honda CT90
stu stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 04:32 PM   #10

Fantastic! Didn't think about using pop rivets but that is definitely more sturdy I think than using JB Weld. Thanks for helping out with this!!