RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 4
Security system

I have a 2019 Jayco Allante 26X and I use my Rv a lot. Twice now while I have been Boondocking I have had someone tried to vandalize the RV while I was sleeping at night. I am overnighting in the city and not in a desolate area. What is a good security/alarm that would scare away any offenders?
Janicecaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ishpeming, MI
Posts: 410
Welcome to the JOF. The first thing that comes to my mind is a dog. However, I donít own one so that wouldnít be an option for me. Perhaps you could install a light with a motion detector and beyond that maybe a security camera. There are options out there and Iím sure others will weigh in. Good luck.
__________________
2016 Precept 35S
Rice1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 4
I use my rv for work so unfortunately having a dog is not an option. I am in offices for 7-8 hrs a day. But Thank you for the reply.
Janicecaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Lake Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Port Huron, Mi
Posts: 1,238
How about a sticker on the door that says

Attention Burglars
Please carry ID
So we can notify
next of kin.
__________________
2017 North Point 375BHFS
2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Dually Dmax 4x4
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 310
Vandalism you won't stop, its quick hit and run, entry is easier if your willing to defend yourself.
Nuff said.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,736
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Install some flood-lights on the RV (option with flashing)
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,183
You might try the standard things we do for our homes too: excellent lighting, and some signs saying "security cameras in use".


Agreed - Vandalism is tough to defend against.
__________________
2016 Greyhawk 31FK
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 991
Since you mentioned boondocking I would assume no 120 volts at night unless you run your generator all night. Therefore any deterrent would have to be battery operated.

Motion sensor lights would be a good addition as a light coming on may deter some scum. I installed a battery operated motion sensor light by my trash cans at home because they were in a dark area. Lights up the area when we approach.

I have attached some items for consideration. Maybe there is a battery operated dog barking motion sensor out there. That would be sweet.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG  
__________________
Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 4
I love that!!!
Janicecaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 4
Thank you for all replies. I appreciate it.
Janicecaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
SloPoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sandy Utah & Kingman AZ and in our Seneca everywhere else.
Posts: 2,420
They make DVR's that install INSIDE of your motorhome/RV that run on 12v power and record all motion 24x7.

We have not spotted Bigfoot yet... but have captured coyotes, Fox, Rabbits, Squirrels and bobcat's with our cameras.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post739440
__________________
Steve & Stacy along with Ned and Ellie (well behaved Fur-kids) in our 2015 Seneca 36FK pulling a 07 Toyota FJC and 99 Yamaha Kodiak 400 on a custom 27' trailer w/ fresh 2021 Coors Light in the fridge. ( 3 lines per the forum rules)
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ishpeming, MI
Posts: 410
A game trail camera would not act as a deterrent but it would capture photos/videos of any motion that set it off and would allow you to view your visitors after the fact. You could also post signs near the outside entrance door stating the area is under video surveillance. In your situation it sounds like something would be better than nothing.
__________________
2016 Precept 35S
Rice1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 248
If rig or tow car has alarm triggering it will send people running. Motion activated flood lights would also help. I guess I’m lucky we never had any issues. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
__________________
Full timed in Newmar Essex. Off road now back in house.
Part time in 2020 Entegra esteem 29 v
2017 Jeep rubicon tow vehicle
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #14
Member
 
Mike-NM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 90
I have two reolink Argus Pro security cameras which operate off their internal battery. You can charge with an android phone charger or with a with small solar charging panel that you can purchase with them. I put at least one of them up whenever I am overnighting anywhere. You can easily mount them just about anywhere as they are wireless. I have placed them on a tire, on a table, even in a tree near the RV. They have night vision, and motion detectors that you can set the distance of the motion which sets off an audible alarm loud enough to get someone's attention, When they alert they takes a photo and video and send it immediately to my phone and my e-mail. They store on a micro disk and in the cloud if you subscribe to it (i don't) as I get it in my e-mail and it stores on the internal disk. If i am in a camp site with wireless i connect it to the internet, if no internet I connect it to my phones hotspot. You can live view from your phone, you can even talk to whoever is out there from the camera built in speaker through the reolink app that you download to your phone. Plus I keep my awning lights on with the awning in so as not to disturb anyone with bright lights. Mine are blue so from a distance anyone looking commit a crime might think there is a police vehicle up ahead and decide to head in another direction....

You can check out the systems at reolink.com. I got mine on sale several years ago for around 100.00 a piece well worth the money.
__________________
2014 Jayco Precept UL
1997 Thor Chateau Sport 21RB
Mike-NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Mesa
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janicecaton View Post
I have a 2019 Jayco Allante 26X and I use my Rv a lot. Twice now while I have been Boondocking I have had someone tried to vandalize the RV while I was sleeping at night. I am overnighting in the city and not in a desolate area. What is a good security/alarm that would scare away any offenders?
janice, try reviewing some of the video's from this single woman, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCig...RbV5BlwV4OY9mw

She does one on her security aspects
Gillespiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
I have two reolink Argus Pro security cameras which operate off their internal battery. You can charge with an android phone charger or with a with small solar charging panel that you can purchase with them. I put at least one of them up whenever I am overnighting anywhere. You can easily mount them just about anywhere as they are wireless. I have placed them on a tire, on a table, even in a tree near the RV. They have night vision, and motion detectors that you can set the distance of the motion which sets off an audible alarm loud enough to get someone's attention, When they alert they takes a photo and video and send it immediately to my phone and my e-mail. They store on a micro disk and in the cloud if you subscribe to it (i don't) as I get it in my e-mail and it stores on the internal disk. If i am in a camp site with wireless i connect it to the internet, if no internet I connect it to my phones hotspot. You can live view from your phone, you can even talk to whoever is out there from the camera built in speaker through the reolink app that you download to your phone. Plus I keep my awning lights on with the awning in so as not to disturb anyone with bright lights. Mine are blue so from a distance anyone looking commit a crime might think there is a police vehicle up ahead and decide to head in another direction....

You can check out the systems at reolink.com. I got mine on sale several years ago for around 100.00 a piece well worth the money.
Can it make audio alarm to scare intruder away while you are sleeping at night? can it make continuous video recording when something is detected?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:59 AM   #17
Member
 
Mike-NM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Can it make audio alarm to scare intruder away while you are sleeping at night? can it make continuous video recording when something is detected?

Yes, it makes an audible alarm which is a siren sound as the default. You can customize the audible as well. You can turn off or on the audible alarm with your app. Yes, it continues to video when a detection is made. Video length is determined by you at your settings on the app of 8, 15 or 30 seconds. and if there is still something there it will continue to alarm and continue to record as well as take a still photo of what caused it to alarm again. The alarm can be annoying as it will stop then sound again if something is still there and especially if it is on while you are walking around it. I simply turn off the audible then turn it back on when I am inside. You can set the motion detection distance so not to pick up passing cars. It is very sensitive. Has an outdoor sleeve for weatherproofing. It will video and capture a photograph. There is a push notification you set up easily I might add to your phone and e-mail for both video and photograph. You can also share the camera with family members who will be able to see and hear or speak through the camera similar to the ring alarm camera system. You can set infrared lights, LED and night vision on the camera. You can also zoom in from the app on a live stream or a still photo that is sent to your phone and email. It has a battery life indicator on the app.

Below is a video link I came across there are others using this system.

https://reolink.com/security-cameras...ravel-trailer/

__________________
2014 Jayco Precept UL
1997 Thor Chateau Sport 21RB
Mike-NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Yes, it makes an audible alarm which is a siren sound as the default. You can customize the audible as well. You can turn off or on the audible alarm with your app. Yes, it continues to video when a detection is made. Video length is determined by you at your settings on the app of 8, 15 or 30 seconds. and if there is still something there it will continue to alarm and continue to record as well as take a still photo of what caused it to alarm again. The alarm can be annoying as it will stop then sound again if something is still there and especially if it is on while you are walking around it. I simply turn off the audible then turn it back on when I am inside. You can set the motion detection distance so not to pick up passing cars. It is very sensitive. Has an outdoor sleeve for weatherproofing. It will video and capture a photograph. There is a push notification you set up easily I might add to your phone and e-mail for both video and photograph. You can also share the camera with family members who will be able to see and hear or speak through the camera similar to the ring alarm camera system. You can set infrared lights, LED and night vision on the camera. You can also zoom in from the app on a live stream or a still photo that is sent to your phone and email. It has a battery life indicator on the app.

Below is a video link I came across there are others using this system.

https://reolink.com/security-cameras...ravel-trailer/

Thanks for detail explanation and video. Can intruder simply take the camera away?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #19
Member
 
Mike-NM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Thanks for detail explanation and video. Can intruder simply take the camera away?
I suppose they could depends on where you locate it and how it is secured. Even if they do, you still have a video of it and a photograph of what occurred which is being sent either live or after the fact to your phone and e-mail. I have used it for more than two years without any issues.
__________________
2014 Jayco Precept UL
1997 Thor Chateau Sport 21RB
Mike-NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:04 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Colorado
Posts: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
I suppose they could depends on where you locate it and how it is secured. Even if they do, you still have a video of it and a photograph of what occurred which is being sent either live or after the fact to your phone and e-mail. I have used it for more than two years without any issues.
What if someone climbs up roof and take the camera above front door away from roof? any motion detection in this case?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alarm, safety, security

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.