Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2021, 08:06 AM   #1

Security system

I have a 2019 Jayco Allante 26X and I use my Rv a lot. Twice now while I have been Boondocking I have had someone tried to vandalize the RV while I was sleeping at night. I am overnighting in the city and not in a desolate area. What is a good security/alarm that would scare away any offenders?
Janicecaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF. The first thing that comes to my mind is a dog. However, I don’t own one so that wouldn’t be an option for me. Perhaps you could install a light with a motion detector and beyond that maybe a security camera. There are options out there and I’m sure others will weigh in. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #3

I use my rv for work so unfortunately having a dog is not an option. I am in offices for 7-8 hrs a day. But Thank you for the reply.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

How about a sticker on the door that says

Attention Burglars
Please carry ID
So we can notify
next of kin.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:40 AM   #5

Vandalism you won't stop, its quick hit and run, entry is easier if your willing to defend yourself.
Nuff said.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Install some flood-lights on the RV (option with flashing)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #7

You might try the standard things we do for our homes too: excellent lighting, and some signs saying "security cameras in use".

Agreed - Vandalism is tough to defend against.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #8

Since you mentioned boondocking I would assume no 120 volts at night unless you run your generator all night. Therefore any deterrent would have to be battery operated.

Motion sensor lights would be a good addition as a light coming on may deter some scum. I installed a battery operated motion sensor light by my trash cans at home because they were in a dark area. Lights up the area when we approach.

I have attached some items for consideration. Maybe there is a battery operated dog barking motion sensor out there. That would be sweet.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #9

I love that!!!
Old 01-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #10

Thank you for all replies. I appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #11

They make DVR's that install INSIDE of your motorhome/RV that run on 12v power and record all motion 24x7.

We have not spotted Bigfoot yet... but have captured coyotes, Fox, Rabbits, Squirrels and bobcat's with our cameras.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post739440
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #12

A game trail camera would not act as a deterrent but it would capture photos/videos of any motion that set it off and would allow you to view your visitors after the fact. You could also post signs near the outside entrance door stating the area is under video surveillance. In your situation it sounds like something would be better than nothing.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #13

If rig or tow car has alarm triggering it will send people running. Motion activated flood lights would also help. I guess I’m lucky we never had any issues. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #14

I have two reolink Argus Pro security cameras which operate off their internal battery. You can charge with an android phone charger or with a with small solar charging panel that you can purchase with them. I put at least one of them up whenever I am overnighting anywhere. You can easily mount them just about anywhere as they are wireless. I have placed them on a tire, on a table, even in a tree near the RV. They have night vision, and motion detectors that you can set the distance of the motion which sets off an audible alarm loud enough to get someone's attention, When they alert they takes a photo and video and send it immediately to my phone and my e-mail. They store on a micro disk and in the cloud if you subscribe to it (i don't) as I get it in my e-mail and it stores on the internal disk. If i am in a camp site with wireless i connect it to the internet, if no internet I connect it to my phones hotspot. You can live view from your phone, you can even talk to whoever is out there from the camera built in speaker through the reolink app that you download to your phone. Plus I keep my awning lights on with the awning in so as not to disturb anyone with bright lights. Mine are blue so from a distance anyone looking commit a crime might think there is a police vehicle up ahead and decide to head in another direction....

You can check out the systems at reolink.com. I got mine on sale several years ago for around 100.00 a piece well worth the money.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janicecaton View Post
I have a 2019 Jayco Allante 26X and I use my Rv a lot. Twice now while I have been Boondocking I have had someone tried to vandalize the RV while I was sleeping at night. I am overnighting in the city and not in a desolate area. What is a good security/alarm that would scare away any offenders?
janice, try reviewing some of the video's from this single woman, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCig...RbV5BlwV4OY9mw

She does one on her security aspects
Gillespiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
I have two reolink Argus Pro security cameras which operate off their internal battery. You can charge with an android phone charger or with a with small solar charging panel that you can purchase with them. I put at least one of them up whenever I am overnighting anywhere. You can easily mount them just about anywhere as they are wireless. I have placed them on a tire, on a table, even in a tree near the RV. They have night vision, and motion detectors that you can set the distance of the motion which sets off an audible alarm loud enough to get someone's attention, When they alert they takes a photo and video and send it immediately to my phone and my e-mail. They store on a micro disk and in the cloud if you subscribe to it (i don't) as I get it in my e-mail and it stores on the internal disk. If i am in a camp site with wireless i connect it to the internet, if no internet I connect it to my phones hotspot. You can live view from your phone, you can even talk to whoever is out there from the camera built in speaker through the reolink app that you download to your phone. Plus I keep my awning lights on with the awning in so as not to disturb anyone with bright lights. Mine are blue so from a distance anyone looking commit a crime might think there is a police vehicle up ahead and decide to head in another direction....

You can check out the systems at reolink.com. I got mine on sale several years ago for around 100.00 a piece well worth the money.
Can it make audio alarm to scare intruder away while you are sleeping at night? can it make continuous video recording when something is detected?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Can it make audio alarm to scare intruder away while you are sleeping at night? can it make continuous video recording when something is detected?

Yes, it makes an audible alarm which is a siren sound as the default. You can customize the audible as well. You can turn off or on the audible alarm with your app. Yes, it continues to video when a detection is made. Video length is determined by you at your settings on the app of 8, 15 or 30 seconds. and if there is still something there it will continue to alarm and continue to record as well as take a still photo of what caused it to alarm again. The alarm can be annoying as it will stop then sound again if something is still there and especially if it is on while you are walking around it. I simply turn off the audible then turn it back on when I am inside. You can set the motion detection distance so not to pick up passing cars. It is very sensitive. Has an outdoor sleeve for weatherproofing. It will video and capture a photograph. There is a push notification you set up easily I might add to your phone and e-mail for both video and photograph. You can also share the camera with family members who will be able to see and hear or speak through the camera similar to the ring alarm camera system. You can set infrared lights, LED and night vision on the camera. You can also zoom in from the app on a live stream or a still photo that is sent to your phone and email. It has a battery life indicator on the app.

Below is a video link I came across there are others using this system.

https://reolink.com/security-cameras...ravel-trailer/

Old 01-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes, it makes an audible alarm which is a siren sound as the default. You can customize the audible as well. You can turn off or on the audible alarm with your app. Yes, it continues to video when a detection is made. Video length is determined by you at your settings on the app of 8, 15 or 30 seconds. and if there is still something there it will continue to alarm and continue to record as well as take a still photo of what caused it to alarm again. The alarm can be annoying as it will stop then sound again if something is still there and especially if it is on while you are walking around it. I simply turn off the audible then turn it back on when I am inside. You can set the motion detection distance so not to pick up passing cars. It is very sensitive. Has an outdoor sleeve for weatherproofing. It will video and capture a photograph. There is a push notification you set up easily I might add to your phone and e-mail for both video and photograph. You can also share the camera with family members who will be able to see and hear or speak through the camera similar to the ring alarm camera system. You can set infrared lights, LED and night vision on the camera. You can also zoom in from the app on a live stream or a still photo that is sent to your phone and email. It has a battery life indicator on the app.

Below is a video link I came across there are others using this system.

https://reolink.com/security-cameras...ravel-trailer/

Thanks for detail explanation and video. Can intruder simply take the camera away?
Old 01-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Thanks for detail explanation and video. Can intruder simply take the camera away?
I suppose they could depends on where you locate it and how it is secured. Even if they do, you still have a video of it and a photograph of what occurred which is being sent either live or after the fact to your phone and e-mail. I have used it for more than two years without any issues.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:04 AM   #20

Quote:
I suppose they could depends on where you locate it and how it is secured. Even if they do, you still have a video of it and a photograph of what occurred which is being sent either live or after the fact to your phone and e-mail. I have used it for more than two years without any issues.
What if someone climbs up roof and take the camera above front door away from roof? any motion detection in this case?

Tags
alarm, safety, security