Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #21

Ford F53 chassis is changing 2020 model year, V-10 goes away and the new 7.3 Liter V-8 gas engine enters. The new chassis will also have the new 10 speed transmission, overall Ford means to stay on top of the Gas Class A market.....smaller dog house (lower) less heat transfer than V10.....handling will be improved?

Might be worth waiting?
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #22

I wouldn't. If this is the new workhorse engine / transmission combo let them get the bugs sorted out. It'll take a few years before all the gotchas are engineered out.

The 6.8 V10 is about as bug free as you can get nowadays. I'll take that reliability over new, even if new is 'better', any day. Until 'new' becomes 'routine/normal' and then I'll go order me up some of that 'better'.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I talked to Jayco Motorized and they told me that if I get the unit aligned withing the first 3 months or 36000 miles they would cover it under cusotmer good will so long as we provide the before and agter report from the truck center. I'm not counting on it, it woul dbe nice, but not counting on it. My steering wheel is very close to center but now that its loaded it pulls to the right some, so we will be taking it in to have the alignment checked.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #24

I have owned a 31UL. Traded in on a 35un. The 31 was terrible to drive in the wind and being passed by semi's and larger vehicles. No fun to drive at all. The 35 un is a pleasure to drive. I have not had to do any alterations to the stock chassis. Got a top notch alignment done, that's it. The four door gas and electric refrigerator has been fine. We have the drop down bunk and it's good. Good luck.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #25

Precept 36s 2016

bought new. Love it. A couple trips a year 2 months out. Love this coach.
Rconhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:53 PM   #26

We just bought a 2018 Precept 31UL last August and really like many features - floor plan is outstanding, storage is great, bedroom, etc. Highly recommend, but be prepared to spend first couple or 3 months sorting out warranty issues; we've had quite a few, but that is normal for RV as we have come to realize. Strongly recommend J Ride PLUS, as without it, these things are unsafe! Very tall and wobbly with high center of gravity. Steering stabilizer is also a must, although you will not notice a difference in normal driving. Get an alignment at a TRUCK SHOP, not local dealer and Jayco will pay for it within first 10 months. Look for Michelin tires, too, and recliners as the jackknife sofa is useless. We took ours out and spent an additional $1,600 for Thomas Payne recliners which are great. The installation is a bear (I did it myself) as there is no accessibility. The drop- down bed is useless, unless you really need it with small kids/grandkids. The coach is comfortable, rides beautifully for gas coach and is quiet unless you are going up slope when the transmission downshifts and the engine RPM kicks up. The size lets you get into state parks, but is big enough to qualify for high-end resorts. Overall, recommend it, but with warranty issues in mind. Good thing for 2-year warranty! Good luck...
Nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #27

Some thoughts

Jaconsnc- What year was your 31UL and your 35UN? I imagine if your 31UL had 19.5 inch tires and you upgraded to the 35UN with 22.5 it was a real improvement. From my research it looks like Jayco went with the bigger tires in the 2018 year. I don't know what else changed. From what I have been able to gather the current 31UL has the best wheelbase to length ratio I have seen at .577 the 34G is at .544, both should drive fairly well on 22.5 inch tires. I looked at a Coachman diesel yesterday that was below .50 and the 34 foot Bounder comes it at .524. Right now I would say the 34G is our choice but as I stated I will wait and see when the new stripped chassis is available. I know about bugs but the current F53 tried and true as it may be is dated and underpowered for todays coaches. If I can get more ponies, better transmission, smoother ride, better fuel economy and more towing weight well I am all for it. Three year warranty on the chassis. WE will see what Ford produces. I am more concerned with what the manufacturers build on the chassis than the new chassis itself. I understand getting the bugs worked out of the coach. As many others my 5th wheel spent more time at the dealer the first two years than camping.

Thanks for everyones input. Please keep the comments coming. I like feeling secure with my choices.
davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:40 PM   #28

I agree that the 2018 31UL versus prior year's models are totally different coaches, even though the name would suggest otherwise. Longer wheelbase and larger tires, plus 22,000 lbs chassis makes the newer model light years ahead in handling. The older ones had shorter and lighter frame, which made handling "interesting" and I would not consider it. Incidentally, the 3-way 4 door fridge is great for us - plenty of freezer and fridge space.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #29

Bedroom slide

Is the slide in the 2018+ 31UL even with the floor or is there a step up? The 34G has a fairly large step up and I can foresee many toe stubs.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #30

The sofa slide is even with the floor, but the dinette is a step up, although not too high - my wife has a bad knee and has no problem with it. You just sit on it and swing over; not even noticeable after a few times. The two slides in the middle (plus one for the bedroom) make it seem huge when open - very nice floor plan. The floor plan cannot be beat in this price range motor home!
Old 03-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #31

Bedroom slide

Hey Nebster. Is the bedroom slide even with the floor or a step up? The 34G is a step up with an 80 inch King so longer bed than the 31UL and very tight between the bed edge and the step up. I cannot tell from videos about the 31UL slide.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #32

God luck to you. Had a Precept 31UL. Drove nicely. But quality of Jayco has diminished dramatically since being biught by Thor. Thor, in my opinion, does not have service in their methid of operstion. Once you own it...tough luck. I had Jayco becore had had very little problems. Everythime I went out in Precept...encountered problems. Finally got rid of it after having it for two years of problems.
grandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #33

My 31ul was a 2014 Lemon. Not only was the handling horrible, we had water leaks, slide problems and a blown hydraulic line on the first trip. Traded for a 2015 35UN. Great coach, only issue was a bad wheel bearing at 3500 miles. Reprogrammed the computer and altered downshifts, shift points, no more screaming engine and wicked two gear down shifts. Pleasure to drive.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #34

The 2018 31 UL bedroom floor is even with the rest of the coach. Bed is some 4" shorter that full king, but that is not a problem except for finding the correct sheet size. Bed is comfortable and king is the only way to go, even though it is a bit shorter than regular (home style) king. I agree that Jayco quality is not too great, but I hear the same story from every RV owner even with high end makes. Practically all gas class A's use Ford F53 chassis, so there is no sense buying premium unless perhaps you are full timer. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #35

We have a 2018 Precept 31UL Full Paint, had it from July 2017. Mine has been aligned and looks to be at 1:00 but not much off. I think this is a Ford problem. That can't be fixed by adjusting the steering box linkage. That what the truck place said "no place to ajust". Installed a RoadMaster steering stabilizer. Still having problems with the Radio/ GPS. Electric step just stopped working this week. Need to get fixed before July 2019 .
ChuckK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #36

You’re right. We have a 2018 31UL with Garmin. And , that radio/gps is a pos. Constant problems with on/off dock unit. Once everything is on it works great but when dock shuts off, it’s a pain in the ass. No sensors. ��
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote