Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2024, 09:23 AM   #1

Shocks or Sumo

2017 Precept 35S 13K miles. Budget to do one enhancement. Replace shocks or add Sumo front and back. Goal is to improve ride. Already have steering rods, rear track bar and safe T installed. Big improvement on control. Now, looking for overall ride improvement. Brand new set of Michelins set at 90psi
Jake from FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:19 PM   #2

HI,
I installed the Sumos first and noticed a big difference, much softer
Ride.Then I installed the Konis and couldn't notice a difference.Still
Not satisfied with the ride, but think it's the best I can do without big
Budget air.Good luck.
Pete
Old 06-16-2024, 04:27 PM   #3

Thanks. Keep throwing "solutions" at improving ride and handling. Happy now with the handling. I guess it's a roll of the dice on shocks or sumo. I think I will try shocks first. Evo's. Hopefully that will be it!
Old 06-18-2024, 08:09 AM   #4

I just got back from Safe-T-Plus (2nd visit). The first time I had the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and front Sumo springs installed on my 29S. This fixed the slamming/teeth rattling bumps up front.

On this second trip had the rear track bar, front radius rods and all 4 shocks replaced with Koni's. The sway problem is eliminated and bumps smoothed out. Now it rides like a pickup truck, but not a Greyhound bus.

I passed on the rear Sumo's based on comments related to stiffness, and on my "shorter" F53 the ride problems were worse on the front wheels.

John Tierney
Vonore, TN
John Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:39 AM   #5

I just got back from Safe-T-Plus (2nd visit). The first time I had the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and front Sumo springs installed on my 29S. This fixed the slamming/teeth rattling bumps up front.

On this second trip had the rear track bar, front radius rods and all 4 shocks replaced with Koni's. The sway problem is eliminated and bumps smoothed out. Now it rides like a pickup truck, but not a Greyhound bus.

I passed on the rear Sumo's based on comments related to stiffness, and on my "shorter" F53 the ride problems were worse on the front wheels.

John Tierney
Vonore, TN
John Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 02:18 PM   #6

Ended up having Safe T Plus install Koni EVO shocks all around. Big difference in the ride and short of going crazy with Liquid Springs I believe I now have the ride and handling the best it can be.
Old 07-06-2024, 09:42 AM   #7

Adding Sumo’s is more for control than comfort.

Sway control; like sharp corners off exit ramps, driveways and other curb cuts. See video;

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...-187-54-1.aspx

Just make sure right weight, don’t go over as it stiffens ride. If 18k chassis, get the blues.

We have them on all four, feels more stable and nice knowing we’re more upright. ; )

We also have Koni FSD’s all around too.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote