Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Sleep Number bed

I had to pull the trigger and get a different mattress. I have been getting a sore back the last few times we go out and I am sure the bed is causing this.

I have a Sleep Number bed ordered and should arrive in a week or so. It will be installed in a Precept 35UN coach. I believe I will glue a short nap carpet on the wooden base in the coach before laying the new bed down.

Do any of you have experience with a Sleep Number bed. What do you think about the base?

Thanks

mowdoc
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 AM   #2

I can't say anything about the mattress but when we had a pop-up we glued an indoor-outdoor rug to the bunk ends. It was pretty flat and it was perfect. I think we got it at Lowes or Home Depot in the "roll that they cut for your measurement" department. It was not expensive.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #3

We made the move to Sleep Number this season. It is a huge improvement. I used to get pretty uncomfortable after several nights sleeping on the stock mattress. Now the only place I get sore is where my wife hits me when I play with the settings. :-)

I had an old foam pad that I put on the wood base just because I had it. I don't think it was really necessary.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Team

We have a king in our fifth wheel. Love it. It sits right on the bare plywood. with no problem. I have been thinking of painting the base just for aesthetics and to make it smoother.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

For those of you who don't want to spend the money to replace the mattress just yet, consider getting a 3 or 4" memory foam topper. I can't believe the difference that made for our comfort. I sleep so well in there now. Can't wait to go out again in a couple of weeks!!
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:31 AM   #6

I replaced my OEM mattress (if you can really call it a mattress) with the Sleep Number RV Radius King a little over 5 years ago. It is the best purchase I have ever made for a mattress.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

Thanks for all the input. I have a memory foam topper on our bed since day one but still get sore back. It worked great in the fifth wheel we had before but does not help this Precept mattress at all. I'm excited to get the Sleep Number even more after reading the replies!!
Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #8

I couldn't justify spending Sleep Number money in the camper, but we love the i8 (I think that's what I have) in the house.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #9

We've had a Sleep Number in the last 3 campers. We also go to Wal-Mart and grab the 3" Memory foam topper with the foam on 1 side and the cones on the other. With all of this together I can sleep nicely in the camper.
As far as placement, we have ours just on the ply wood.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I replaced my OEM mattress (if you can really call it a mattress) with the Sleep Number RV Radius King a little over 5 years ago. It is the best purchase I have ever made for a mattress.
^^^
What Ed said....

We did the same a few years ago and have not regretted it one bit.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #11

We have a Sleep Number in our S&B and had one in our MH. Best purchases we ever made.

We now have a 2016 Jayco Designer with a memory foam mattress and I can't wait to replace it with a new Sleep Number King. Those memory foam mattresses may return to normal after you leave the bed but I find them uncomfortable to sleep on.

As for the base, the plywood platform is fine. You don't need the plastic base ... waste of money.
khahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #12

I have a sleep number mattress now too. It sits right on the plywood. Love it!!!

- James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #13

We have a sleep number bed in our home since April, So far it's been great! Plan on replacing our mattress in our 35UN with a sleep number also. Did you purchase direct through Sleep number or through a Camping World or such? We purchased our home Sleep number through Sleep Number Store.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #14

I bought mine thru Camping World. I got into a chat room with the people at Sleep Number with a couple questions. They told me they did not price match any other stores and CW was having a sale on Sleep Number. I was able to buy at $130 cheaper from CW. Unfortunately, I believe the sale at CW ended on the 10th?? I could be wrong. If you are interested, you should check right away!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

This is our 3rd season with ours. We self installed on the bare wood with no issues. We love ours.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
We have a sleep number bed in our home since April, So far it's been great! Plan on replacing our mattress in our 35UN with a sleep number also. Did you purchase direct through Sleep number or through a Camping World or such? We purchased our home Sleep number through Sleep Number Store.
I don't know if it is still the way it was when I bought my Sleep Number mattress, but you could only get the RV Radius King through CW. Sleep Number makes it, but their stores don't or didn't sell it. Only CW did.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #17

Bought ours for the rig at CW Tucson.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #18

Got ours about a year ago. Much better than the Denver mattress that came with our Pinnacle.
Question: does anyone have problems with the mattress creeping at night? I.e. It moves down and to one side overnight. Is so, how did you fix the problem?
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote