Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2021, 06:04 AM   #1

Slide out... no response... ideas ???

OK, I have a Precept 34G with two slide outs. One drivers side (1) (theater recliners and dinette) and the long full passenger side out (2) with sofa, kitchen, refrig, bedroom cabs and washer/dryer.

We left RV site Sunday AM and both slides came in just fine.... but when we got home, nothing on slide 1 and slide 2 is fine.

When pushing the "in/return" or "out/extend" toggle switch on slide 1 absolutely nothing, dead, no sounds, etc.

I checked fuses and they are OK. Each slide out has its own 12v DC/ 30Amp circuit breaker.... I swapped them and still nothing..... so it's not a fuse or circuit breaker.

Before I start searching further.... any ideas suggests on what to do next, sequence on checking what, etc?

Thanks Mark
Old 06-21-2021, 06:33 AM   #2

I had a similar problem with the Power Gear slide on my 26XD. For some reason the momentary switch on the panel failed. I had an RV mechanic check it out and he figured it out by swapping the wires from the momentary switch from the slide that was still operating to the slide switch that wasn't. The substituted switch opened the slide. So replaced the switch and it's been ok since (last year). I don't know if this will help but I hope it does.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Mark, is this a Schwintek slide mechanism? The ones with the silver aluminum rack of gears on the side of the slide box and the motors in the wall? If so, I would try to find the slide controller to make sure you're getting power to the controller. Also, if there is any motor fault, you will need to clear it on the controller. Connector for motors may have come loose (unikely as you have two, so they would both have to come loose at the same time), or you could have an in-line fuse near the motor controller since its likely a reasonable distance from the battery.

- Mike
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
I had a similar problem with the Power Gear slide on my 26XD. For some reason the momentary switch on the panel failed. I had an RV mechanic check it out and he figured it out by swapping the wires from the momentary switch from the slide that was still operating to the slide switch that wasn't. The substituted switch opened the slide. So replaced the switch and it's been ok since (last year). I don't know if this will help but I hope it does.
Thx Much, but No, that's not it. I have both continuity and +12v as I toggle the switch... so switch is ruled out.

Mark
Old 06-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #5

Mark,

I've experienced similar issues before, especially if your slide is the Schwintek like mine on our Alante. Wires were loose behind the fuse box and the wire terminal actually fell off the tab. Also check the slide controller, those wires are held underneath screw terminals which can loosen. You've probably just lost the 12V somewhere, I doubt anything is broken. Something loosened up during travel.
MikeRV4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Mark, is this a Schwintek slide mechanism? The ones with the silver aluminum rack of gears on the side of the slide box and the motors in the wall? If so, I would try to find the slide controller to make sure you're getting power to the controller. Also, if there is any motor fault, you will need to clear it on the controller. Connector for motors may have come loose (unikely as you have two, so they would both have to come loose at the same time), or you could have an in-line fuse near the motor controller since its likely a reasonable distance from the battery.

- Mike
Thx Mike, I have the slide type bottom track system (see Pic below)... I'll keep digging.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1069s.jpg  
Old 06-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRV4Life View Post
Mark,

I've experienced similar issues before, especially if your slide is the Schwintek like mine on our Alante. Wires were loose behind the fuse box and the wire terminal actually fell off the tab. Also check the slide controller, those wires are held underneath screw terminals which can loosen. You've probably just lost the 12V somewhere, I doubt anything is broken. Something loosened up during travel.
Thx MikeRV!... I'll check all this out.

Mark
Old 06-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #8

More than once on a previous trailer I had to disconnect the battery for a few seconds and reconnect it. Then it would work perfectly. I don't know if some static got into the works and Confused everything but that seemed to work every time.

Larry
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Thx Mike, I have the slide type bottom track system (see Pic below)... I'll keep digging.

Mark

In this case the motor is above the chassis rails, in a pass-through (at least on mine) and maybe you can get to it and check for fuse, loose connection, etc...
Old 06-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #10

Latest update... here's a copy of an email I just sent to Jayco Techs.

Hi Wayne (at Jayco).... another urgent question. My Jayco dealer is a 5 hour drive away, so I'm trying to fix myself.

OK, I have a Precept 34G with two slide outs. One driver's side (1) (theater recliners and dinette) and the long full passenger side out (2) with sofa, kitchen, refrig, bedroom cabs and washer/dryer.

We left the RV site Sunday AM and both slides came in just fine.... but then drove 2 hours and when we got home, nothing on slide 1 ( slide 2 is fine).

When pushing the "in/return" or "out/extend" toggle switch on slide 1 absolutely nothing, dead, no sounds, etc.

I checked fuses and they are OK. Each slide out has its own 12v DC/ 30Amp circuit breaker.... I swapped them and still nothing..... so it's not a fuse or circuit breaker.

I then pulled the control panel and checked switch 1 that controls the driver's side slide. I have both continuity and +12v as I toggle the switch... so the switch is ruled out.

Next, I then went under the bed.* I have 3 Power Gear panels (see attached picture with light green/yellow circuit board).

Here's my assumption and findings.
1. The left and center boards are for the slide outs.* left I think is slide 1 and I know the center board is slide 2. I have no idea what the right end one is for? (maybe the levelers???).When I toggle the switch for slide 2 (passenger side), the center board top relay clicks.*
2. When I toggle switch 1 for slide 1 (drivers side) nothing and no click.**
3. I checked the inline fuse on each board of all three... all*good.* I swapped the plug in circuit breakers between all three... all good and no change.
4. I then unplugged*the 6 wire harness plug from both the left and center boards (both plugs had the same part numbers on them).* *I have 12+DC on the top red wire in both plugs.* When sw 1 toggles, I get*+12v on the bottom blue and orange as expected (one extend and one retract.* I get the same thing on plug 2 with sw 2 togges.* That tells me that both switches are good and the wire from the boards to the switches are good.*
5. I then plugged the center plug/ harness into the left board and then tried sw 2... I now got the click on the left board relay and slide 2 went in/out.* So I now believe both the left and center boards are ok based on the sw 2 test.
6. I then plugged the left plug/harness into the center board and hit switch 1... no click and no slide 1 movement.* But based on test 4 and 5 above, I know/think left and center boards OK and Switches 1 and 2 are OK and the blue and orange wires get 12 volts.
7. I guess something could be wrong on the Plug 1 yellow and/or green wires out (assuming they go to the drive motor?
8. Or, the drive motor or connections to slide motor 1 are now not working?
Before I start searching further.... any ideas or suggestions on what to do next, sequence on checking what, etc?

Where is the motor location for slide 1?
Picture 2 in my master control panel

any ideas and issues with my logic?

Thx Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0542s.jpg   IMG_0440s.jpg  
Old 06-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #11

Mark, any updates from Jayco? Wondering if some wiring came loose at the motor? Have you tried tracing it form the controller to the motor?
Old 06-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Mark, any updates from Jayco? Wondering if some wiring came loose at the motor? Have you tried tracing it form the controller to the motor?
Mike, I just can't fine the motor. Jayco say's it's to the right side of the slide as I look at it. There is no access door at all in the basement and nothing under the dinette seats. I'm 99% sure it's a wire or motor after the controller/relay.

I'm now wondering if the access door is under the slide.... but the slide is stuck "IN"... so I don't know how they'll access it.

Jayco said they'd pay to have a mobile tach come out..... but I haven't heard anything definite yet.

I'll update post once I know more.

Mark
Old 06-23-2021, 03:56 PM   #13

Is the motor in the space behind the theatre seats, there is a 4 inch protrusion and part of the wall with a small shelf??
Jmurray65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #14

My Jayco 31 UL has the same slide mechanism. My access to the motors are in the compartment below the slide. Mine has a plastic cover over the motor access. Very easy to manually move the slides in and out if the motor fails. Here is a pic of mine with the cover off.
Attached Thumbnails
D7DCCC4E-BC9B-47BC-94B0-ED661E3FAB20.jpg  
Parrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #15

You have to have access to the motor to take the brake off if you need to manually move the slide.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #16

Your response from Jayco is right. The motor is located on the right facing the slide from inside. It will be in line with that geared track in the compartment. If that track is on the right side of the slide, your motor is in that compartment. Should be a black cover screwed over the access. The access door is black plastic just like the compartment so it blends in.
Attached Thumbnails
E16C54B7-73FF-41F4-8351-06C96356C0F5.jpg  
Old 06-24-2021, 04:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurray65 View Post
Is the motor in the space behind the theatre seats, there is a 4 inch protrusion and part of the wall with a small shelf??
Jmurray... no, nothing there.
thx Mark
Old 06-24-2021, 04:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Your response from Jayco is right. The motor is located on the right facing the slide from inside. It will be in line with that geared track in the compartment. If that track is on the right side of the slide, your motor is in that compartment. Should be a black cover screwed over the access. The access door is black plastic just like the compartment so it blends in.
I do not have any assess in the basement compartments except a wireway. Jayco rep said last night the access was in the base of the slide... which makes no sense to me.

Here's the direct copy/paste from Jayco when I asked "Where is the motor":
"The slide out motor, while looking at the slide) is on the right hand side. I am going to search for a mobile tech to come out. Since you are under warranty I will cover the costs of it."

Then they sent this to me me after: "Yes so you need to shimmy the slide and grab the motor from the right hand side. Please don’t use something that will rip it out you can damage it and it will not be warrantable."

So, with that, I'm not going any further and will just wait for the mobile tech to come out.... I'll take pictures and let all know what the findings were.

Mark
Old 06-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #19

You should be able to see the motor with the slide in. Looking in from the bottom right side. They may have just forgot to cut out the access hole at the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
6E858920-CB25-424C-B3DE-7241ECB4C444.jpg   9BB68897-9E72-44E3-92ED-888108322D6B.jpg  
Old 06-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #20

Parrott and all who responded.... here's the facts and findings.

Parrott... you helped a lot with your pic and that caused me to lay on the floor, behind the drivers seat with a flashlight and my camera. I saw the manual hex 3/4" drive.... Pic 1.
Pic 1 This is the right side of the slide from the inside / Left side of the slide from the outside. The electric motor is on the right side of the slide from the outside.

Pic 2 is me laying on the left side/inside looking under the slide (shows motor)... I zoomed in with my phone. Seeing the wires entering at this location made me go back to the basement at the wireway I mentioned earlier in this post.

Pic 3 is the Wire way... I cut the material (underside of the flooring was not cut by Jayco... therefore why I only thought it was a wire way.

Pic 4 is the part number of the side of the motor.

Good news Jayco gave me mobile tech phone... may come Monday, if not, after we get back from our trip !! I shared all my info with the company.

I learned a lot from all this. At least, if needed, I can turn off the motor brake and use a 3/4" socket to extend/return the slide until fixed.

Thanks All,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Left slide_right side behind drivers seat manual drive.jpg   left side motor brake.jpg   left side slide access.jpg   left side motor part #.jpg