Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-22-2022, 04:19 PM   #1

Slide out problems

2016 Jayco Precept. My living room/kitchen slide out is giving me issues. The cabinet above the sink area is dragging on the counter now and it's breaking the cabinet apart. I have been storing it in my driveway which isn't level and leans to one side. Could this be the issue. I only slide it out when the jacks are down, and level. Over time can the weight of the cabinets bend the slide?
Please help
Desertrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #2
eow

What type of slide? Picture would also help.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #3

I’m assuming you have the Precept 31UL. If the cabinet is dragging, I would check the rollers on the bottom of the slide. The slide out system also has a problem with the roller bearings coming out of the slide track. A real pain to get back in. Is the slide operating smoothly?
Also helps us when you put your rv model in your signature.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:36 PM   #4

When the slide out is all the way in, does it look level across the bottom outside?
Old 01-22-2022, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
I’m assuming you have the Precept 31UL. If the cabinet is dragging, I would check the rollers on the bottom of the slide. The slide out system also has a problem with the roller bearings coming out of the slide track. A real pain to get back in. Is the slide operating smoothly?
Also helps us when you put your rv model in your signature.
Yes the 31ul. It operates smoothly. It shuts flush and looks level from the out side. Just when extending it the one side leans forward
Old 01-22-2022, 08:09 PM   #6

Yes it's level and lines up with the body lines
Old 01-22-2022, 08:53 PM   #7

Mine leans a little when moving in and out but the cabinet doesn’t hit. Did it just start doing this?
Old 01-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Mine leans a little when moving in and out but the cabinet doesn’t hit. Did it just start doing this?

Yes it started doing this the last 3 times we took it out. But got progressively worst..
Old 01-23-2022, 06:55 PM   #9

My bunk slide on our 36b started to lean down more when extending and it would work harder retracting, found loose bearings. Tightened them up and works like a champ. It was straight with no sag all the way extended and it would close tight. The top of the bunk slide was hitting the top of the interior wall when trying to retract, only 10k miles on er, would say factory was working on this one on Friday build, lol. I would check guides and bearings first, while ya in there, add some lib to everything…

Taz
2019 Precept Prest
36b
TazmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:19 PM   #10

Here is a picture of one of the roller bearings. There are 4 on each track. These are the ones that can come loose or fall out. Check yours. There’s a good thread on these.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-it-91217.html
Attached Thumbnails
13772B73-9A6C-44E0-A831-E1B0AA13D815.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 08:59 AM   #11

Picture of one of mine where the nut fell off holding the bearing.
Attached Thumbnails
D613BCDD-3F37-443F-95E5-D0C3E6FD84D6.jpg  
Old 01-31-2022, 10:34 PM   #12

I have a 2021 31UL Precept. The 1st trip out, the cabinet dragged on the kitchen counter (which it did not during PDI) and tore off the wall.

The dealer checked all mechanism and declared it to spec. What ever that means.
The dealer then mounted it ~3/4" higher than it's original position. It works, but I'm in constant fear
Old 02-01-2022, 05:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadbound View Post
I have a 2021 31UL Precept. The 1st trip out, the cabinet dragged on the kitchen counter (which it did not during PDI) and tore off the wall.

The dealer checked all mechanism and declared it to spec. What ever that means.
The dealer then mounted it ~3/4" higher than it's original position. It works, but I'm in constant fear
There are 4 bearings on each slide track. 8 total for each slide out. You are going to need to check each bearing especially the ones under the cabinet area. You can see 2 of them easily with the slide out by looking through the toe kick area under the cabinet. The 2 bearings on the other side not so easily. I cut an access panel out in the back of the cabinet under the sink to access the other side of the track. Even then, I had to use my phone camera to take a selfie picture with a flashlight to see the roller bearings. The outside bearing was completely out which I was able to get back in from the outside with the slide out. Run your slide half way out and stop. Rock the top back and forth and see how much it moves. If it moves a lot the bearings could be loose or completely out. As in the other thread I made access holes so I could easily keep a check on mine. Raising the cabinet isn’t the proper way to fix this.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrunner View Post
2016 Jayco Precept. My living room/kitchen slide out is giving me issues. The cabinet above the sink area is dragging on the counter now and it's breaking the cabinet apart. I have been storing it in my driveway which isn't level and leans to one side. Could this be the issue. I only slide it out when the jacks are down, and level. Over time can the weight of the cabinets bend the slide?
Please help
. The rubber around the slides get sticky. Clean then and spay them with a good silicone lube
Sstclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
There are 4 bearings on each slide track. 8 total for each slide out. You are going to need to check each bearing especially the ones under the cabinet area. You can see 2 of them easily with the slide out by looking through the toe kick area under the cabinet. The 2 bearings on the other side not so easily. I cut an access panel out in the back of the cabinet under the sink to access the other side of the track. Even then, I had to use my phone camera to take a selfie picture with a flashlight to see the roller bearings. The outside bearing was completely out which I was able to get back in from the outside with the slide out. Run your slide half way out and stop. Rock the top back and forth and see how much it moves. If it moves a lot the bearings could be loose or completely out. As in the other thread I made access holes so I could easily keep a check on mine. Raising the cabinet isn’t the proper way to fix this.
I have this issue now with the slideout. You mention another thread. Can you reference a link to that or any other DIY repair links you know of? Maybe provide some additional detail on your repair like where you made access holes, etc. Much appreciated as I'm not finding much out there in my search.

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInMaine View Post
I have this issue now with the slideout. You mention another thread. Can you reference a link to that or any other DIY repair links you know of? Maybe provide some additional detail on your repair like where you made access holes, etc. Much appreciated as I'm not finding much out there in my search.
I believe the link you are looking for is in Post #10 above.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I believe the link you are looking for is in Post #10 above.
Aha....got it. For some reason I glossed right over it, thanks for responding.

I'd be very interested in any other advice on repairing these, can't get anything done under our "service" contract!

Mike

MikeInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:36 PM   #18

Slideout Path

I have read quite a bit on the forum re slideout problems ...... mostly to do with rollers/bearings it seems. I am convinced I am going to have to get educated on this topic, cut some access holes, etc. Seems like parrott has been a trailblazer for us.....at least those with 31ULs.

Being an absolute newbie to the 31UL, I am not even sure I have a problem but the travel path the driver's side fwd (kitchen) slide takes on the way out is pretty "wild" IMHO but maybe normal? I have attached a pic of the slide at the point in its travel where it is just about ready to "break over" and become plumb. Once plumb/vertical, it seems to move along just fine, BTW. (I do level prior to slide operation.) SOoooo, have I got a problem? I bought this unit from the PPL consignment lot in Houston about Dec 1, 2022 and only used the BR slide on the 3-day trip home to Denver. It had 2500 miles on it when I left the lot (the previous owners had not even removed the blue tape from the fridge drawers and there were still stickers/protective film that hadn't been removed! Of course, we all know "sitting for a couple of years" ain't a good thing, but it seems unlikely that I have a roller problem with so few miles and so few slide operations.

I suppose I need to get on a ladder and put some slide seal lube along the top edge and sides but it seems unlikely to me that the top sealing surface would not free up after once broken loose. But this travel path repeats (I have done it about 4 times now but have yet to run it all the way out.)

I'm "all ears" so thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Precept Slideout Angle.jpg  
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:18 AM   #19

Check your slide topper. Make sure it isn’t hanging up. It should unroll freely.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Picture of one of mine where the nut fell off holding the bearing.

Good pics for sure.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out issue.