Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #1

Sliding driver/passenger screen

The sliding screens next to the driver and passenger in our 31UL do not slide freely. I have tried using soap and WD-40 on the track. The driver side screen is already coming apart at the lower corner from the excessive deforming force on the frame when I try to slide it. We recently drove through Chicago where there are many toll booths and I finally took the screen out so I wouldn't have to keep opening and closing it. The rig is in the shop now for some warranty work and they are ordering me new screens. Any tips on how to improve on this problem?
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:59 AM   #2

I have already replaced the driver's side screen. Same problem. Removing it while in transit is probably the best solution. Then reinstall when you make camp. The two windows up front do give you a lot of fresh air.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Thanks for your response Bob. I'm not surprised you have experienced the same issue with your screens. Others have probably had similar issues. I'm kind of annoyed by this problem as well as some of the other issues we have all had as a result of poor design and engineering by Jayco. For the most part we all seem to be happy with our Precepts but there are problems like this that never should have happened and there absolutely should be a solution. Forgive me for venting like this but when we lay out as much money for these motor homes as we have we should expect more quality. Thanks again Bob.
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #4

Just got our Precept back from the dealer. I don't know what they did to the screens but they slide nicely now.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

Thank you for the followup. Good to hear.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Flimsy Screens

We have found the screens in our 2016 31UL pretty flimsy altogether. I have popped out the bathroom screen at the end of our last few trips to have access to the non-drinking hose and wand to clean the black tank. Each time I carefully snap the screen in place I think it's going to break because it's so thin. I'm starting to think we need to get another one just proactively for when it breaks.
CamperNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #7

CamperNurse, you know there is an easier way don't you? You can connect that same hose to the black tank inlet connection in the water center and flush the black tank. Or is there a special reason you go thru the window?

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #8

Bob, Yes we do back flush first from the outdoor water compartment. However, the "wand" works from the top down..it has a rotating head that has a lot of PSI with the water and it blasts the sides of the tank so nothing is left hanging on to the sensors of the tank (we had some problems with this in our former Greyhawk).

Do people in my family think I'm crazy for being so picky about the cleaning??? Absolutely....I wear the crown, "Queen of the Black Tank" as far as the family is concerned. All I can attribute this to is emptying too many bedpans throughout my career!!!
CamperNurse is offline   Reply With Quote