Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If group 27 will fit get them
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Lady Land View Post
ok two batteries. 12v deep cycle auto parts store? Just want to be sure.
Menards carries Exide Nautilis Deep Cycle 12v batteries group 27. Tractor Supply Stores also carries them
Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #23

Go to Battery Bill's in Sacramento.They'll know what you need for boondocking and can make sure you get the correct size for your battery tray.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #24

Quote:
That would be great if I could go all night without running the generator. I did a test run in my driveway. I charged up the batteries by running the engine and the generator. I unplugged the microwave, turning off the engine and the generator. I left only the main switch to the house on. The fridge did great on auto. You can see the led command center in front. But in two hours I checked and I had one dot on the display next to the toilet. Where the tanks and battery check box is? The switches for the water heater and water pump are there also. There are only 4 dots. One dot can't be good so I started the engine and the generator. Let me see if I can upload a picture. I haven't been able to find anyone with knowledge I could talk too in person. The service man at the place I bought it new from told me the refrigerator did not have to be level to run properly on propane. So you probably know as I found out in the manual that it does. Just crazy trying to find some help when you are new to this. I will try again this weekend before I leave.
I don't think you have to run both the engine and the generator to charge. Just one or the other.

Probably do not have to unplug the microwave. It most likely will just not work without the generator.

I think there is a button on the panel that you can hold down to indicate how many dots are in the "Batt (or Battery)". 1 is low, 4 is full.

Based on your knowledge it might be worth it to have a local RV dealer test your batteries and install a second deep cycle if you think you will need it.

That being said... Just go for it! There are lots of backup solutions should it not give you full power through the night. Pack a few extra blankets. This time of year, it should not be necessary based on your destination
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:50 AM   #25
Site Team

Since your original battery is dated 2015, go with 2 new batteries. If you add more than one battery you need to make sure that the batteries are the same Mfr/Model/AmpHour ratings.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #26

Thank you so much for your help. I never thought it would be the battery. The damn RV is 2016. I put a trickle charge on it this morning and went to work. I will see what it looks like when I get home. I think I will wrestle it into the car and take it to Batteries Plus Bulbs because it is close to my work. Hopefully they will have the group 27. So as long as the vehicle will start in the morning I will be ok. Thanks again.
Electric Lady Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If you maintain a battery well they will last. The battery which starts the engine get charged by the trucks alternator. The Coach batteries get charged by the power converter which runs on shore power or when you have - the onboard generator.
Try not to run down batteries below 11.9 volt. You have a great holiday.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #28

Walmart and Costco most often have some batteries also
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #29

2 6v Batteries

Looks like the house battery is toast! Soo the guy at the store convinced me to get 2 6v golf cart batteries. He said this will give me plenty of backup to get me through the night. I got the connector strap to make them 12 v. and he showed me how to hook them up. Now I just need to wrestle them back into the tray (they are each heavier than the 12v that was in there) and I should not have to worry about the food or the fridge anyway.
Electric Lady Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Looks like the house battery is toast! Soo the guy at the store convinced me to get 2 6v golf cart batteries. He said this will give me plenty of backup to get me through the night. I got the connector strap to make them 12 v. and he showed me how to hook them up. Now I just need to wrestle them back into the tray (they are each heavier than the 12v that was in there) and I should not have to worry about the food or the fridge anyway.
Good for you! Yes, each 6v deep cycle will weigh more than the group 27 12v battery. If you bought at Batteries Plus, they carry the Duracell GC2 for about $100 each with 215Ah. That should easily last you through the night.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:58 AM   #31

Batteries first

Completely agree - the original batteries on all RVs are cheap and too small. Invest in the largest capacity batteries your can fit in your RV and afford. I purchased 2 6V Crown batteries (golf cart, CR-260, 260AH) and they can last for days.

Once you have 2 or 4 batteries installed then consider solar. I added solar to our Precept and it has been great.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=490404

Good luck.
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #32
RWK

I dry camp quite often. I replaced my deep cycle 12V house battery with two 6V golf cart batteries. Depending on heater and or inverter usage I only need to run my generator a couple of hours per day. (If that) There is no reason to turn off the main power for the whole coach. We make it through the night running the furnace no problem. The fridge runs on gas when the generator isn't on. With two 6V batteries you will have no issues. Our original 12V deep cycle was useless for dry camping.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, charging system, solar