Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #1

Solar panels for a 2020 Precept 31UL

Has anyone added solar panels to a Precept 31 UL? The pre-wired connecter on the roof is for Go Power solar panels. Is there a diagram showing where the braces are? The you tube videos seem to just use self tapping screw wherever you want. I called Jayco service and never got a call back. Same with the local Jayco dealer/service.
hopnhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

I haven't install on my Precept yet, but did on the travel trailer we traded in on the Precept. I usee Stainless Steel self drill and tapping screws (about 1" long and a 1/4" in diameter). Between the brackets and the roof you'll use buyle tape. Hand tighten only with a screw driver. Once all screws are tighten, use self leveling RV caulk. Thats its. You can try to fine rafters under the roof material.... but it's hard. Keep the solar panels towards the rear to help eliminate the driving wind force up front. Watch some YouTube video on RV solar panel installs

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I've watched a few you tube videos of solar panels being installed. Everything you recommend is spot on.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 PM   #4

You are not locked into Go Power Solar Panels, that roof jack is for MC4 connectors, an industry standard. I used a Renogy system on my Seneca, it has the same roof jack. I beleive the Seneca and the Perception have the same roof construction.
Attached Thumbnails
FF435775-8C10-4368-B11E-1F364263A0A2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #5

I have a lot to learn Thanks
What controller and inverter did you use?
Old 10-29-2020, 11:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopnhic View Post
I have a lot to learn Thanks
What controller and inverter did you use?
Our Seneca already had an inverter and I added the Renogy 400watt kit that comes with Rover 40 amp charger, I just got done adding 2 more panels so I am up to 600 watts and I have a bank of 6 - 6 volt Lifeline AGM’s. Here is a link to my install, like I mentioned I believe your roof is constructed the same.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...all-58352.html

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #7

Hopnhic,
Rustynuts is also spot on. Once I get my Precept, I'll detail all my additions/changes. Regarding the solar, I have the complete Go Power Overland, 3 - 190w solar panels, IC-2000 Inverter/charger/transfer switch, Go Power 30amp solar controller. I will keep the inverter & 2 batteries that came with the MH, isolate it's output to very limited circuits (e.g, refrig). Then I'll add 6 - 12v 1000AH AGMs batteries for the remaining circuits using my IC-2000 inverter. The solar controller will charge two battery banks (i.e., the 2 that came with the MH and the 6 I'm adding). I'll also add a switch to send 12v power to the engine battery as a backup to it. Again, I'll detail it all soon.

Mark