Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

Sorry to say I'm leaving the Jayco brand.

The honey moon was over after the starr of the second trip. Our precept fell apart over the span of 5k miles.

Here is the list of issues that we are dealing with.

1. Windshield wipers broken again
2. Rear bunk slide motor inop again
3. Front heater inop again
4. Front head lights bounce so bad it's hard to drive at night
5. Invertor malfunctions at least 2x an hour by shutting off.
6. Water pump inop again.
7. Roof leak over kitchen
8. Microwave loose again
9. Front room slide not sliding anymore
10. Overhead lights stopped working
11. Driver's seat swivel broke
12. Rear backup camera inop

The list just goes on and on.

Three month wait on some parts.

I'm sorry but it looks like Thor has destroyed our wonderful Jayco brand.

Good luck to everyone I have sold my Precept 36T and have moved on to another brand
Old 04-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #2

Happy trails!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Sorry to hear of your issues. How did it compare to your previous RV's in terms of issues and failures?
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #4

That's what we should have done dumped our 2016 Eagle the first year, purely a piece of junk. Instead 2 1/2 years into ownership still fighting to get final warranty list completed from August 2017.Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:07 AM   #5

With that many problems I would leave jayco also. Too bad you don't have a good dealer to fix it.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

WOW!, I thought I had issues with my Alante, your problems make mine look trivial. I hope you find something to your liking that is better built. In all honesty if I had been given a list of everything that did go bad I would never have bought it, at least mine is pre-Thor. Good luck!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #7

That's a pretty terrible list of problems.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

Thor has nothing to do with quality problems at Jayco. Boom times have everything to do with it. The RV industry is producing more units than ever before in history and finding qualified workers is near impossible. If you study economics, history and can analyze the current labor market you would understand. To just blame Thor is killing the messenger and not addressing the problem.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Thor has nothing to do with quality problems at Jayco. Boom times have everything to do with it. The RV industry is producing more units than ever before in history and finding qualified workers is near impossible. If you study economics, history and can analyze the current labor market you would understand. To just blame Thor is killing the messenger and not addressing the problem.
This is partially true, but not the entire cause. Cost cutting, lower wages, lack of quality control, and a general lack of caring once the product is off the production line is also an issue. I have toured several production facilities, and spoken with the managers. A push to get as many units as fast as possible regardless of quality pushed down the line and cheap materials is a factor. Speaking with workers and watching units go down the line the workers, although only tasked with one or two items to install are hard pressed to keep up, and any issue that slows down the line is to be avoided at all costs, so mistakes or incomplete installs are pushed on down. This is why I found several things on my coach that were not even installed or tightened or hooked up. And as for qualified workers hiring someone already trained is great but most production line workers are trained on site. Just my .02.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
Site Team

Pity the poor customer who bought it!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #11

We had a gas class A. They are so rough riding that everything just shakes apart in time. We also had problems after every trip.

Switched to class C and the ride is so much better things don’t get beat to death and haven’t had the problems we had in the class A Gas.

If you can’t go with a class A diesel with air bags and want a class A your just asking for trouble. Been there done that. If you want gas go Class C because they ride so much better. Only problem is length and storage. You give up that but fix your problem of shake rattle and roll. That which destroys everything in your Motorhome.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #12

Sorry to hear about all your issues

I'm curious what other brands you considered after selling your Jayco. There seem to be so many quality control issues these days across multiple brands. Hope your new motorhome is doing better. We are still trying to zero in on a good used motorhome that is less than 5 yr old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassprowannabe View Post
The honey moon was over after the starr of the second trip. Our precept fell apart over the span of 5k miles.

Here is the list of issues that we are dealing with.

1. Windshield wipers broken again
2. Rear bunk slide motor inop again
3. Front heater inop again
4. Front head lights bounce so bad it's hard to drive at night
5. Invertor malfunctions at least 2x an hour by shutting off.
6. Water pump inop again.
7. Roof leak over kitchen
8. Microwave loose again
9. Front room slide not sliding anymore
10. Overhead lights stopped working
11. Driver's seat swivel broke
12. Rear backup camera inop

The list just goes on and on.

Three month wait on some parts.

I'm sorry but it looks like Thor has destroyed our wonderful Jayco brand.

Good luck to everyone I have sold my Precept 36T and have moved on to another brand
northwing50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post

If you can’t go with a class A diesel with air bags and want a class A your just asking for trouble. Been there done that. If you want gas go Class C because they ride so much better. Only problem is length and storage. You give up that but fix your problem of shake rattle and roll. That which destroys everything in your Motorhome.
WOW-- I have to wonder how many of the thousands of Class A gas owners out there realize that everything in their motorhome will be DESTROYED?!?
tymzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymzee View Post
WOW-- I have to wonder how many of the thousands of Class A gas owners out there realize that everything in their motorhome will be DESTROYED?!?
I guess that was a little harsh. Some may be happy with the ride of the F-53 Ford class A gas chassis. If you have one and are offended by what I said then I apologize. I sincerely mean that.

Having personally owned 2 class A diesel pushers with airbags and also a gas class A on the F-53 Ford what I said comes from personal experience.

I have also been members of other forums and heard the same complaints from F-53 owners of harsh (rough) ride over bumps, pavement joints, washboard pavement, uneven surfaces to the extent of damage.

I have spoken to my dealer about it. He confirmed that the F-53 is a rough truck chassis. I have spoken to other owners who have had similar experiences.

Didn't mean to step on toes here but just trying to let the OP know he was not alone.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #15

You won't see me come into much defense of the f53. But I will say with $$$$ spent on a jayco precept the ride can come to 'acceptable'. Handling also acceptable. And I notice people with the larger chassis of the f53 are more satisfied.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
I guess that was a little harsh. Some may be happy with the ride of the F-53 Ford class A gas chassis. If you have one and are offended by what I said then I apologize. I sincerely mean that.

Having personally owned 2 class A diesel pushers with airbags and also a gas class A on the F-53 Ford what I said comes from personal experience.

I have also been members of other forums and heard the same complaints from F-53 owners of harsh (rough) ride over bumps, pavement joints, washboard pavement, uneven surfaces to the extent of damage.

I have spoken to my dealer about it. He confirmed that the F-53 is a rough truck chassis. I have spoken to other owners who have had similar experiences.

Didn't mean to step on toes here but just trying to let the OP know he was not alone.
Cabinetmaker--

No, my toes are fine. My reaction to your "destroyed" comment was offered in jest as I expected you were simply stating your observations from personal experience. Just thought "destroyed" was, as you mentioned, a bit harsh.

We haven't purchased our motorhome yet and I come here to learn as much as possible before taking that leap. I appreciate your comments and will definitely take your observations re. this particular chassis into consideration as we continue our search.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
You won't see me come into much defense of the f53. But I will say with $$$$ spent on a jayco precept the ride can come to 'acceptable'. Handling also acceptable. And I notice people with the larger chassis of the f53 are more satisfied.
Hawkster--

The Precept 31UL is near the top of our list for floor plan so I'm now concentrating more on other aspects-- warranty, serviceability, performance, etc.

I get the impression that what Jayco touts as their new Jayride Plus is in response to all the negative input they had received. Do you think this is more sales hype than reality and would an owner of a new Precept need to add additional stability items to get to that level of "acceptability"?
Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #18

Tymzee, j ride plus is sales hype. My unit has it and it sux. But my suggestion is to get as new a unit as possible. My 2016 31 ul has the 18k frame and 19.5 tires. The newer models of this have changed to 22.5 tires and larger at least 22k frame and I believe longer wheelbase. This in itself will make the coach better riding and hopefully better handling. For $1000 I have substantially improved my unit with koni shocks, front alignment increasing caster, and CHF front and rear.

Jayco warranty and customer service have been excellent, but you WILL use it. A lot of frustration will be your local dealer. Some are awful. Some are good.

The performance is ok. It's not a diesel pusher but you saved $100k! I pull a grand Cherokee with a small motorbike about max 5000#. It does fine. It is noisy climbing hills.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #19

Thanks much for the insights hawkster. I have heard pretty positive reviews about Jaycos customer service in general and the responsiveness of the mother ship in particular. But as you point out, it's the dealer you're working with that will ultimately decide how well any issues are addressed.

Sounds like the investment you made in upgrading your ride has been $$$ well spent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
Tymzee, j ride plus is sales hype. My unit has it and it sux. But my suggestion is to get as new a unit as possible. My 2016 31 ul has the 18k frame and 19.5 tires. The newer models of this have changed to 22.5 tires and larger at least 22k frame and I believe longer wheelbase. This in itself will make the coach better riding and hopefully better handling. For $1000 I have substantially improved my unit with koni shocks, front alignment increasing caster, and CHF front and rear.

Jayco warranty and customer service have been excellent, but you WILL use it. A lot of frustration will be your local dealer. Some are awful. Some are good.

The performance is ok. It's not a diesel pusher but you saved $100k! I pull a grand Cherokee with a small motorbike about max 5000#. It does fine. It is noisy climbing hills.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #20

Sorry to say that the rigors of the road rips these things apart. Which is a big part of why I am seasonal. We found our perfect site on Cape Cod, and that's where she sits 24/7, 365. If we decide to hit the road after retirement, that's a different story. For now we're very content with out little piece of paradise 1/4 mile from the beach.