Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Sound dampening - 2016 Jayco Precept 29UR

Decided to do some sound dampening for our Precept.

* Pulled up carpet & padding
* Found lots of holes leading directly to daylight - under dash where heater hose vents enter, holes were wires for outside mirrors are run, large gaps around all sides of the engine doghouse (see pictures)
* Used HVAC tape to seal holes
* Installed Hushmat on the floors & inside the front hood (underside of dash)
* Installed Luxury Liner Pro on top of the Hushmat
* Installed heavier carpet

Cabin read 72dbs prior to fixes..... Will post the results shortly as we are taking a trip this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
JanFeb2016 2016-03-02 001.jpg   JanFeb2016 2016-03-02 012.jpg   JanFeb2016 2016-03-02 015.jpg   JanFeb2016 2016-03-03 001.jpg   JanFeb2016 2016-03-02 019.jpg  

JanFeb2016 2016-03-03 004.jpg   JanFeb2016 2016-03-07 003.jpg   JanFeb2016 2016-03-07 002.jpg  
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:29 AM   #2

sjarr, should be a great improvement. Thank you for the pics & detail.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #3

I am very interested in knowing the results. I love our 31UL in every aspect, other than the noise. Driving around in a diesel previously, to me it appears that there is a lot engine noise that accompanies us on our rides.
kaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

In for the results
Old 03-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

Anxiously waiting for results.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #6

Sound dampening RESULTS

Morning all, just completed at 1500mi trip with the sound dampening improvements. Cabin noise level dropped 8dbs!

Next step is to apply the hush mat to the stair well - most of the remaining noise is coming from there.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

Sound Dampening - Side notes

All wanted to share some additional side notes related to this project.

* Under DASH
Applied hush mat to the underside of the dashboard - open the front hood and the fiberglass 'roof' is actually the underside of the dash - lots of noise was being transmitted through here

* Seat removal
1. Unplug the seat motors (passenger side had to actually remove the seat controller)
2. Remove the cotter pin from the single bolt/nut holding everything together
3. Remove 3/4" nut
4. Pull up seat

* Doghouse carpet
The carpet is hot glued to the doghouse. Removal is a real chore and took several hours of peeling back bits of carpet and using a utility knife to cut off the glue. Needless to say this portion of the carpet was destroyed during the removal process. If one was short on time/patience you could probably just install the heaviest carpet you could find over the existing carpet.

* Left over carpet
The remaining carpet (i.e. not the doghouse) came out quickly and in two pieces. I re-used it in the storage compartments, after removing all of the staples in it.

* Windshield columns
Remove the plastic covers on the passenger/driver side of the windshield and stuffed the empty hole (great for noise/whistles) with rock wool insulation (Roxul) which is waterproof, fireproof and sound deadening.

* Finished project picture
Still need to cut off the small pieces of carpet that run up the wall and re-install molding.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160311_155128065_HDR.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #8

Thanks sjaar.. Great info here. I will plan a weekend to do this project.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #9

Pictures of the ROXUL insulation installed in the side windshield pillars.
Attached Thumbnails
JanFeb2016 2016-03-03 006.jpg   JanFeb2016 2016-03-03 007.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarr View Post
Morning all, just completed at 1500mi trip with the sound dampening improvements. Cabin noise level dropped 8dbs!

Next step is to apply the hush mat to the stair well - most of the remaining noise is coming from there.

WOW 8dbs! That's huge! Great mod!
Levinehikeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #11

Thank you - put it on my list
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #12

sjarr, I know this is an older post, but it looks like you have a lot of experience working with the doghouse.

I have to remove mine to get at the motor. I probably have a bad mass airflow sensor and the coach is idling roughly. The only way I see to remove the doghouse is to detach the entire center console and the entire center console housing that extends all the way to the passenger wall (that thick vertical black vinyl piece that the center console is anchored to with 4 screws.) Am I correct or do you have any suggestions?

By the way, really nice job on the sound deadening and the ingenuity you showed to do it. Looks like something I will put on my list of to-dos!
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycledoc675 View Post
sjarr, I know this is an older post, but it looks like you have a lot of experience working with the doghouse.

I have to remove mine to get at the motor. I probably have a bad mass airflow sensor and the coach is idling roughly. The only way I see to remove the doghouse is to detach the entire center console and the entire center console housing that extends all the way to the passenger wall (that thick vertical black vinyl piece that the center console is anchored to with 4 screws.) Am I correct or do you have any suggestions?

By the way, really nice job on the sound deadening and the ingenuity you showed to do it. Looks like something I will put on my list of to-dos!
I have the same question as I'm about to access the engine compartment to install a secondary alternator...felt around, but couldn't 'find' the hardware to remove the doghouse.

Sjarr, can you provide some help in removing the cover?
TechDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #14

Hi, all, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in, I have a 2017 31UL, perhaps the doghouse construction is similar,and this may not be for the inexperienced but,....there are two long screws in the back of the box one on each side of the center line close to the floor and possibly two more on each side forward, you got to really dig around for them, then after you remove the center stack and pull it out some(you may have to remove the A/C ducts from the outlets) there are two vertical screws holding down the black part of the dash to the top of the doghouse on the left and right, they have black heads, a led flashlight helps find them! Then on the forward edge of the doghouse there is a flange with several more screws horizontally into the firewall. After that you should be able to slide the doghouse aft while supporting the center stack and wiring. Hope this helps! Oh, and also a good time to glue some sound mat to the underside of the doghouse.
Pandara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #15

Hi Cycledoc675, you might check for the mass air sensor in the intake pipe just behind the air cleaner box, there is a cable and connector attached, possibly accessed through the front hood opening!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #16

Ok, I figured if I could replace the awning (thanks to RVGeeks for their excellent how-to video and my good friend Mark), I could get the doghouse off. You basically have to dismantle half the dashboard. My problem was that my PCV valve hose had fallen off. A few weeks ago, I had driven on a very bumpy back road and I bet that caused it to become detached. I reattached it and now the motor idles and purrs smoothly!

I took a bunch of pictures of the procedure. When I get time, I'll post them in a separate how-to forum entry.

The doghouse is attached to the floor by a bunch of screws, a very cheap way and uncivilized way to do it. With help from another friend, I'm going to reattach it with 4 clamps instead. I'll take pics and post that too when I'm done. I'm going to follow sjarr's lead and add sound dampening at least to the doghouse.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7839.jpg   IMG_7841.jpg  
Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #17

PANDARA: I saw your entry after I got back home. It certainly is a lot of work just to expose the engine! Hopefully the clamps that I'm adding this Saturday will make the procedure a bit easier in the future. Overall though, I have really enjoyed my Precept, but during the recent drama, I found out that not a single Ford dealer or small shop in the entire 350,000 person Jackson metro area will touch my coach. I have to travel to Memphis, New Orleans, or Baton Rouge to get any work. Fortunately I found a great independent mechanic willing to work on it in the future.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:54 AM   #18

Glad to hear the fix was simple once you got to it! I also simplified the doghouse fastening, to keep an eye on things and future soundproofing projects. We are enjoying our Precept also, using it for motorcycle track day trips primarily.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM   #19

Thanks for the pics! I am doing the same thing to my 2017 Alante 31P. My concern is access to the engine compartment for service. It looks like you laid the carpet continuously from the floor over the doghouse. Did you glue the sound deadening and carpet down? Stapled?
mountaineyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #20

Engine Compartment access

Hope the sound dampening works as well for you as it did for us.

The carpet is in two pieces. The doghouse is a separate piece of carpet and only attached by some screws (ones I took out of the original carpet) and a little bit of double sided tape. The original carpet is glued down.

The remainder of the carpet and sound deadening materials are stapled down.

Good luck.