Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #1

Soundstream Navigation & Screen

I have searched and read a lot of information I could find on here (mostly under class C Jayco) about the Soundstream Infotainment system but nothing fully answered my questions so I am asking you all.

We went from a travel trailer to a Precept 34g. The height difference is something to get used to. Always having been a fan of my GPS system (set for my height and size requirements) I assumed the one installed in the RV would be usable for that, especially at a 12'7" height.

Boy was I wrong! Thankfully I know the roads around here and figured out you can indeed set the icon on the screen to truck or bus but it just changes the pretty picture on the screen not the size of the unit. Which is ridiculous to me.
Would have been a disaster had I not known the road it was trying to get me to go down had not only a super low old train bridge but no shoulders, lots of traffic and lots of winding areas without a place to turn around.

I feel like it is completely irresponsible for Jayco to even have installed those on a RV but besides that I now want to replace it with something that works the way I would like it to, with GPS for where I can adjust the size of my RV. I also would like to have either an additional screen moved up to where the driver can see it safely or have the entire system moved. The screen is poorly placed and hard to see.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else swapped out this particular unit?
Slowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Welcome to the world of the crappy Soundstream system. I'm surprised you didn't find more posts about how bad it was here. It's a popular theme...

Many of us have installed separate Garmin GPS units, where you can plug in the data for your rig. They also have a lot of pre-installed RV related points of interest.

I put in the Garmin RV770. Extremely happy with it, and like you said, I installed in a place that makes it easy to see and use.

The only thing I use the Soundstream for now, is Sirius, after I had to install the add on module and antenna (that Soundstream doesn't put in ).
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #3

I use a Garmin, however, the Sound stream lets you select car or bus mode which changes routes accordingly.

Jayco provided a GPS. They could have provided nothing like other manufacturers.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Jayco provided a GPS. They could have provided nothing like other manufacturers.
Most people here will tell you Jayco provided nothing, when it comes to that GPS.. unless you're OK with sub-standard... I believe it's a pretty important piece of equipment, and needs to work accurately, the Soundstream GPS doesn't fit that bill.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #5

RetiredOne - If you do not mind me asking, where did you install the new screen? Did I understand correctly you left the soundstream in the same place? How about the cameras did those move to the Garmin? Those seem to be impossible to see as well.

Also EA37TS, be careful with the Soundstream - keep using your Garmin. The Soundstream will not adjust routes accordingly, it will get you into trouble. Mine DOES NOT, that is the problem. You think it does because the icon changes, but it is just a picture, it does not change the size of the unit! I avoided a disaster because I realized it when it routed me down a road that could not handle my unit. I also contacted Soundstream and they confirmed it. It is just a picture setting. So please do not ever depend on the Soundstream to route you safely if you have a above average unit.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #6

As I stated I use my Garmin for navigation. The primary reason I like to use the Soundstream is to listen to Sirius and for the rear camera monitoring of the TOAD while my navigation route is simultaneously displayed on the Garmin RV GPS.

Has anyone bothered to contact the iGo Primo folks and asked about the Truck, RV and Camper upgrade to the navigation system used on the Soundstream? Simple web search shows the update being available for a number of years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 06-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
As I stated I use my Garmin for navigation. The primary reason I like to use the Soundstream is to listen to Sirius and for the rear camera monitoring of the TOAD while my navigation route is simultaneously displayed on the Garmin RV GPS.

Has anyone bothered to contact the iGo Primo folks and asked about the Truck, RV and Camper upgrade to the navigation system used on the Soundstream? Simple web search shows the update being available for a number of years.
I contacted Soundstream and they didn't say that I could do anything about the pretty pictures on the screen to make them usable. I am attaching the email(s). Is IGo Primo a different system?

And, I don't know about you all but I really doubt on a new RV I would have noticed the price point being a couple hundred higher

I think my issue is easily fixed with a new system but I keep thinking about how dangerous it could be for someone to think changing the icon on the Soundstream changes the size. That could get someone in trouble, seems like a ridiculous thing to do on a GPS system.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200623-163114_Email.jpg   Screenshot_20200623-163026_Email.jpg  
Old 06-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrey View Post
RetiredOne - If you do not mind me asking, where did you install the new screen? Did I understand correctly you left the soundstream in the same place? How about the cameras did those move to the Garmin? Those seem to be impossible to see as well.
On my E450, I ordered a bracket from Amazon, and mounted it where the coin holder is, so it sits above the Soundstream. See the picture below. Easier to see and operate. I only have one camera, the rear, and that still works through the Soundstream.

Quote:
So please do not ever depend on the Soundstream to route you safely if you have a above average unit.
The first time I used the GPS on the Soundstream, I could see it map strange routes. I used it, in tandem, with the Garmin from my truck, a few times before I bought the RV770. In areas where I knew where I was going, the Soundstream came up with strange routes compared to the Garmin. And that was running the Soundstream in "car" mode, not bus or truck mode. I just don't have faith in the Soundstream for GPS.
Attached Thumbnails
GPS2.jpg  
Old 06-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

You can go to www.naviextras.com and download the toolbox software. Enter in the Soundstream model unit you have and update the GPS map. There is a iGO phone app that will let change from car to truck or caravan. I may not sure if the update on naviextras will or not. I too use the Garmin 770 an really like it. Also use Google maps on my phone as a back up plan.
Pops&Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #10

IGo Primo is who makes/develops the GPS system that is used in the SoundStream units as well as many others. In 2016 IGo Primo released an update for the GPS system that allows configuring the characteristics of trucks RVs and campers. The cost of the update was 20.00 (USD). The update was first released in Europe and I'm not sure if it hit the states. That is why I asked if anyone has called IGo Primo.

Naviextras supplies the map updates and is not the developer of the GPS.

Remove the SIM card from the front of the GPS and then plug it back in and watch the screen as the GPS is loading. IGo Primo is being loaded.

BTW, I have the same POS system in my Entegra and I wouldn't trust it to take me around the block. But I will also add that my Garmin has tried taking me with my 29K pound Accolade down a road with a 10K weight restricted bridge. My prior Rand McNally RV GPS tried doing the same thing. I trusted that thing less than I trust the SoundStream.

Also, FWIW, when I had the Forest River SunSeeker class c the radio was different but the navigation system was the same IGo system so that nav system is used by many radio manufacturers.

Bottom line, if you replace;ace the radio because of the navigation system make sure you know who the developer of the navigation system is because you could wind up. with the same piece of crap for a lot more money.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 06-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
IGo Primo is who makes/develops the GPS system that is used in the SoundStream units as well as many others. In 2016 IGo Primo released an update for the GPS system that allows configuring the characteristics of trucks RVs and campers. The cost of the update was 20.00 (USD). The update was first released in Europe and I'm not sure if it hit the states. That is why I asked if anyone has called IGo Primo.

Naviextras supplies the map updates and is not the developer of the GPS.

Remove the SIM card from the front of the GPS and then plug it back in and watch the screen as the GPS is loading. IGo Primo is being loaded.

BTW, I have the same POS system in my Entegra and I wouldn't trust it to take me around the block. But I will also add that my Garmin has tried taking me with my 29K pound Accolade down a road with a 10K weight restricted bridge. My prior Rand McNally RV GPS tried doing the same thing. I trusted that thing less than I trust the SoundStream.

Also, FWIW, when I had the Forest River SunSeeker class c the radio was different but the navigation system was the same IGo system so that nav system is used by many radio manufacturers.

Bottom line, if you replace;ace the radio because of the navigation system make sure you know who the developer of the navigation system is because you could wind up. with the same piece of crap for a lot more money.
Great Info, thanks!

I do not think it hit the states yet or I would assume the guy from SoundStream would have said something but I will contact Igo and check. He did tell me who does the GPS portion but I cannot remember from the email. My only huge concern was people thinking the icons changed size and I don't want anyone getting into trouble thinking that. I cannot imagine the nightmare that would be. Especially for a newbie! Which we are.

I did order the RV 770 Garmin and am updating it before I use it. I also contacted Best Buy about just creating a dual screen system. Which they can do, and mount a screen mirroring the one in the dash of the backup cameras and SoundStream up higher so we can see it when driving. Then we can put the Garmin next to it or on the side window down in the corner. However, they cannot do it until everyone is back at work in the service department.

Not completely happy about sticking more money into this beast but it is worth it to feel safe.

Tags
gps, navigation, screen, soundstream