Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

Spare Tire Setup

I like the idea of having a spare tire just in case. I need to mount it under the chassis of a Jayco Precept 31UL. Anyone have experience with this and can recommend a spare tire rack?

Also, I will need a jack and something to remove the lug nuts. Any suggestions? Will a cordless drill be sufficient or would an air compressor work...and double as a tire inflator?

Thanks.
pecostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #2

You'd be hard pressed to change a tire yourself on the road. Lug Nut torque is approaching 400 ft lb on a 22.5" wheel. My torque wrench handle is ~48". So most likely you'll need to have a truck/tire service come roadside to change a tire.

Here's what I did. I bought a new tire (my Precept 34G is a 22.5" tire). I carry the spare tire (no wheel) in a basement storage compartment that has the pass through from left to right between the chassis frame and the coach floor. It's about 12" high the the tire fits nicely. This way it's high and dry out of the weather. Then the tire service can just change the tire roadside.

Mark
Old 05-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #3

Thanks. Maybe a dumb question but roadside assistance, or a truck tire mechanic will have to ability to remove the old wheel and place it on your new tire on the spot? Or is it better to get the wheel also? Thanks.
pecostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Yes service truck for heavy trucks will be able to change it road side. I did the same thing, especially since I have the 19.5" tires, so they're a bit more difficult to find. I carry mine in the first passthrough above the chassis rails and its been fine for the last couple years.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecostyle View Post
Thanks. Maybe a dumb question but roadside assistance, or a truck tire mechanic will have to ability to remove the old wheel and place it on your new tire on the spot? Or is it better to get the wheel also? Thanks.
Yes on the tire change. Just be clear with you request roadside service.

Also, the spare tire may be able to store under the bed if you want.

Mark
Old 05-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #6

I recently put new tires on our 2015 31 UL (age reasons, only 13,000 on coach). The rears in particular had cracks in the sidewalls and I just didn’t trust them. The fronts looked better, so I kept one for myself and gave the other to another Precept owner. No wheel, but it’s in the forward cargo hold if I ever need it.
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #7

Spare on rim?

I purchased a matching tire for a spare, but I'm not sure about getting the rim. My 2021 30z has factory TPMS so if I get a new rim should I get the sensor, if so, will 7 tires with sensors confuse the factory TPMS? Or rim with no sensor? Or just have the spare tire and no rim?

I'm at the point of analysis paralysis. Any advice?
Old 05-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #8

Answered above... just get the Tire and no rim. If you did get the rim, you don't need the TPMS, i.e, just use it for the spare. I also assume your rig has dual rear tires/wheels, inner wheel steel and outer wheel aluminum?.... If so, two alum wheels won't fit on one side, i.e., the lug bolts would be too short. I guess you could run two steel wheels together, but should check with Ford or an expert.

My two cents is keep it simple, get just the spare tire and no wheel. The tire service can change it roadside if needed and you'll save weight.... not to mention the mounted tire on the wheel would be taller (when laying on its side) by a few inches and not sure it would fit in the pass-through and the total weight of the wheel and tire would be well over 100 pounds!

Mark
Old 05-23-2021, 05:11 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I'm with Mark....

Tire, no rim, have the tire changed by roadside service truck. Simple, easy, and it works. My spare fits perfectly in the passthrough. I keep it int he front one to keep as much weight forward.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #10

My class C only has 1445 CCC so I guess I'll save some weight and just have the tire and no rim. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:35 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
I have a 2016 Redhawk Ford with Michelin tires that are no longer available. My tire guy doesn't like the tread on it's replacement. What are the 2020- 2021 new Class C models have on their new Class C's? I checked two newer Class C and they had Hankook Dynapro H7 on them. Any info would be helpfull!
frog is offline   Reply With Quote