Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2023, 10:05 AM   #1

Starlink cable routing prestige 36h?

Has anyone tried to route the cable that comes with starlink rv from the electrical bay to the inside of the coach and if so, how did you do it? I have been running an extension cord from the only 110v outlet that I can find in the basement out to another bay and have placed the router in the bay under the living area but this means I have to leave one cargo bay cracked open for the cable and it’s not ideal in a windy situation. I don’t just want to drill an arbitrary hole into the coach.
Thanks
ianpemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:11 AM   #2

Have you thought about one of these in the floor of the bay?

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Camper...5527060&sr=8-5
Old 02-04-2023, 11:04 AM   #3

I am not sure about through the floor of the bay. I would be worried about it driving in rain. How water tight are they?
Old 02-04-2023, 01:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpemb View Post
I am not sure about through the floor of the bay. I would be worried about it driving in rain. How water tight are they?
JAYCO installed one in the storage compartment floor of our 08 SENECA for access to the outlet inside and also for the FW hose to come into the utility bay and we never had any water issues from road water. I think they are used on wide variety of rigs. The lip that would stick down is probably 11/2" to 2" long.

You could always tape over it or stick a rag down in it when not in use in necessary.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:28 AM   #5

thanks I will look into this.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2023, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Have you thought about one of these in the floor of the bay?

https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Camper...5527060&sr=8-5
X2, our Pinnacle has a similar unit in the basement, no issues.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #7

I just pass the wire into the bay with the Coach's power cord through the power cord latch opening in the floor. I have a plug on the ceiling of the basement right there. The modem's stays there and the wifi will cover all the coach and my fellow campers on both sides if I want. You might have a plug there as well. If you don't look you will never see it.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:43 AM   #8

Thanks Barkie. That might be the simplest solution. I didnt think that you wouls get a great connection from the living rm to the modem in that location but I will give it a try
Old 02-06-2023, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkie123 View Post
I just pass the wire into the bay with the Coach's power cord through the power cord latch opening in the floor. I have a plug on the ceiling of the basement right there. The modem's stays there and the wifi will cover all the coach and my fellow campers on both sides if I want. You might have a plug there as well. If you don't look you will never see it.
Quote:
Thanks Barkie. That might be the simplest solution. I didnt think that you wouls get a great connection from the living rm to the modem in that location but I will give it a try
That's exactly how I do it, too. But I stopped using the Starlink as a Wifi network a while back because I use my own router (so that I can switch between internet sources- Starlink, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T).
Old 02-07-2023, 09:43 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's exactly how I do it, too. But I stopped using the Starlink as a Wifi network a while back because I use my own router (so that I can switch between internet sources- Starlink, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T).
Jose, you using Wi-Fi as WAN or did you get the ethernet adapter from Starlink?
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Jose, you using Wi-Fi as WAN or did you get the ethernet adapter from Starlink?
Jose? My name is Doug.

Ethernet adapter from Starlink.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Jose? My name is Doug.

Ethernet adapter from Starlink.

Apologies Doug... momentarily confused you with Embeleco (Jose). Trying to respond between meetings at work the other day. Reason I ask is when I try to do the Wi-F as WAN the speeds are much lower. I get the whole half speed since the radio is doing double the work, but in my case it was going from 150+ to 34, much more than half. Really wish Starlink had a couple ethernet ports on their router by default. Seems odd not to, unless you look at it from an accessory sales perspective.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:01 PM   #13

I am using wifi.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Apologies Doug... momentarily confused you with Embeleco (Jose). Trying to respond between meetings at work the other day. Reason I ask is when I try to do the Wi-F as WAN the speeds are much lower. I get the whole half speed since the radio is doing double the work, but in my case it was going from 150+ to 34, much more than half. Really wish Starlink had a couple ethernet ports on their router by default. Seems odd not to, unless you look at it from an accessory sales perspective.
No worries, I suck with names so I'm impressed you remember any.

That's shocking about the speed difference. I know I used to take quite the hit when I would do that back in the day with my WifiRanger + AT&T and Verizon hotspots. In fact, I still have that issue with my Verizon hotspot since it doesn't have an ethernet port on it but I so rarely use Verizon these days.

And yeah, Starlink's lack of ethernet port is just asinine. But, let's be honest- customer priorities and customer service isn't there highest regards.

Quote:
I am using wifi.
ianpemb, sorry for the hijack. Throw the router in the hatch we describe and see how it goes. I'm betting it'll be fine.
Old 02-08-2023, 03:05 PM   #15

I am definitely going to try it in there first. There is no sense trying to fish the cable through the underbelly if I don't need to.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:12 PM   #16

Starlink

Is anyone using the in motion version of Starlink?
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Is anyone using the in motion version of Starlink?
I am not, and here's why...

1, I can't fathom spending the money. The $2,500 for equipment is out of my budget.

2, I travel often and find that I regularly put my Dishy at the front of the RV on the roof, the rear of the RV on the roof, and ground deployed away from the RV depending on tree coverage/other obstacles.

I can tell you that definitely, trees impact service. Even a stray 2-3 palm trees have had noticeable impacts on my voice chats, video calls, screen shares, and work VPN. Maybe the in-motion Dishy is more stable but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

For in-motion and as a backup to Starlink, I carry T-Mobile's Home Internet and it's been mostly sufficient while underway/traveling down the road.
Old 02-14-2023, 07:47 AM   #18

Agreed... just like when I traveled with Dish for entertainment, never mounted to the roof, as I was always hunting a spot that had the proper orientation and lack of tree cover.

I have a mount for my telescoping antenna pole and use that or the supplied ground mount depending on location. While underway, I use a Peplink max transit duo and use AT&T and Verizon bonded with SpeedFusion.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:56 AM   #19

Not sure if it helps you specifically but here's something that could be useful: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1267...gh-grommet-for
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote