Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #1

Angry Step Problem

2017 Jayco m/h step: Need help finding c/b or fuse for the step. Step not working with door or engine start. Looked under driver dash and back under bed, no luck...31foot m/h...Terry
terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #2

Which Jayco MH model do you have?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Alante..Sorry
Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #4

Is the step stuck in or out? Here is a flow chart to help diagnose the issue. Hope it helps.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Flow-Chart.pdf

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #5

Thanks loads, will do the check in the morning...Terry
Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMA385 View Post
Is the step stuck in or out? Here is a flow chart to help diagnose the issue. Hope it helps.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...Flow-Chart.pdf

Thanks Gary... i've saved this off locally in the event we have this issue later. nice to have.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #7

Terrell, did you ever get your step problem resolved? I took my MH out of storage mid-April and I had taken the batteries out last Fall prior to parking it. I had left the steps extended for the winter and when I put the batteries back in and started the engine the steps retracted. I drove about 5 miles home and parked in my driveway and the steps would no longer extend. The step light worked but no steps. I tried the troubleshooting guide and after reading about all the motor failures on different forums I ordered a new motor from Amazon for $89.99 with free shipping. Just installed it yesterday and the steps now work perfectly. There are some good YouTube videos out there so it’s a pretty easy fix. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #8

I have the test harness and used a spare battery to test steps, everything with the motor was good. I had no voltage on the red 12v wire at the plug. I was trying to see if anyone knew where the 20 amp fuse was located. I still don't know where it is located but the power is back on and the step works. Went to Jayco dealer in boise and they don't know. Some how I will find it....Terry...Thanks
Old 05-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #9

We are having some minor issues with our steps on multiple occasions. One time we left the steps out overnight while it was snowing and we woke up to completely frozen steps that would not retract. We had to use hair dryer on extension cord to melt them so they would work again. Now every so often our steps are stuck extended out. What I believe to be the cause is dirt from when we have been on dirt and gravel areas. Soon we hope to disassemble and do a proper clean of whatever area is catching. So at least in our case dirt is the culprit.
Woldum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #10

Thanks .... I keep mine lubed with step lube. It helps keep it freezing...Thanks ...Terry
Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #11

I checked it out yesterday, turns out disassembling won't be possible, will need to try to do our best to keep joints clean and lubed will be the best we can do.
Woldum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #12

I had a problem with my Alante steps last summer extending sporadically and sometimes not at all but always retracted. Found it to be a sticking magnetic switch that activates with the door opening and closing. For the remainder of the trip I banged the switch with a flip flop to get it to extend, then replaced the $16.00 switch.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #13

Having problem with my step . Won"t go in . Tried to click on the link for flow chart to help diagnose the issue.
But it gave me a 404 code . Can someone send another link.
I have a 2018 Jayco Precept 31UL .
Thanks
ChuckK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
75H

Link won't open for me either, appreciate if someone with the right one could post it.

Experienced steps stuck up recently coming out of storage. Checked fuses I could locate, voltages, switches, started motorhome, turned it off....

Also noticed step light was on and power awning would not extend......

Then everything started working. Makes me believe there is a stubborn relay somewhere.

However, I would not want to be travelling and experience steps stuck down. If the link has a guide as to how to raise manually that would be very helpful!

2018 29MVP
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #15

I found this one .
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...flow_chart.pdf
ChuckK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #16

Step fuse location on Greyhawk 31DS

I had a problem with my step and discovered Jayco put a fuse in the fuse holder which was too small to handle the load. The fuse holder is behind the house battery and should be a 7.5 amp fuse.
richvarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75H View Post

Also noticed step light was on and power awning would not extend......

Then everything started working. Makes me believe there is a stubborn relay somewhere.
It possibly could be a bad, loose or corroded ground wire connection at the step location or in that area, that is making/breaking connection. Some people here have mentioned issues with bad ground connections from the factory.

A bad/loose ground wire could make enough of a connection to light the LED step light, but not be solid enough to allow voltage to flow to run a motor.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:17 AM   #18
75H

Thanks for the flow chart link, it opened.

So, unrelated, during same preseason check, leveler panel flashed an error and went blank. After a half-hour checking fuses, I ran my hand along every wire I could find related to the jacks. Back by the motor assembly, the 4-gauge ground wire felt loose where it was bolted to a crossmember.

The ring connector had snapped, but was disguised by thick heat shrink holding everything together. That would have been a month in the shop!

These grounding problems seem to happen a lot and checking for them is good advise. Probably start there next time!
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #19

I have a 2014 Jayco Melbourne on 2013 Ford 450 Chassis. I disconnect the steps from the cable under the steps because they seem to drain the battery when stored. I use a trickle charger now, but still always disconnect steps and haven’t had any issues. Big problem is there is no option to stop them from opening when parking next to a curb, so they always hit because curbs are higher than the steps. Another reason I disconnect them.
Jenny Darlington is offline   Reply With Quote