Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Bird
Stopped Cold

Hi: We pushed our luck and took a trip to Virginia to enjoy Colonial Williamsburg during the Christmas season. We returned to South-East Washington to find snow and cold. Our plans to drive our 35US South were delayed. Last Wednesday a winter storm hit dropping 6-8 inches of snow, delaying us again. Next came the cold. I called Jayco and talked with one of the techs indicating the pending near zero temperature conditions. I felt confident that my preparations would get us through. One prep was to put a drop light in the water bay. When trying to do a early morning flush I discovered there was no flow in the cold water system. Morning forecast indicated it reached -11.

Got up early the next morning and confirmed the no water flow condition. I started trouble shooting. Source pipe = warm, disconnected hose and tested flow; heated blue hose=warm, disconnected and verified flow, water bay cold, ice formed in the bottom. I then got out the inferred-thermometer. The water filter in the corner read 22. I wrapped the filter in a heating pad and got it warmed up to 60. Still no flow. Purchased a small ceramic heater and warmed up the bay. Checked temps on hoses, valves and filter all in the 80s. Got flow to the fresh water tank. Still no flow in the coach.

Let the water bay warm over night. Still no flow in the coach. Selected the "normal pump" valve line-up. Tested the pump. No indication of operation or flow.

I'm thinking there must be some section of hose on the other side of the water bay that is frozen.

Looking for advise on what to try next.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

Last year, all winter in SD and we never froze up. This year, we got iced up twice so far. You are doing everything right. Even with the Jayco climate control promise to zero (it does not include wind or humidity), you will need additional support. The heaters and drop lights are perfect but once you freeze it will take time to thaw the entire system; typically takes me another day of extreme heating measures. I would advise you to get a thermometer with a remote sensor ($15 @ Wally world or Lowes); tie off and throw the sensor in to your bay, as far away from the heat source and low on the tank side. Good luck and don't let the cold stop you; winter RV'ing is a unique experience many are fearful of, have fun!

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 12-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

On the retirement, I must say I id not want it at first, but now I have figured out I don't have to go to work....it is not so bad!
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Big Bird youre full of it.
Know how I know? Was told yesterday - by Jayco - that they have never made a US model.
Started with Jayco parts in Mesa AZ, said no such thing as a 35US. I told him there is one in my driveway. He went through all his factory catelogs, found no such thing. He called Jayco and they confirmed never made a US model, I must be wrong. Sent them a picture of my 35US label on the coach. Didnt convince them.
So you, and I, are full of it.

Sorry I'm not helping with your question, just giving you a laugh.
kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

You can't stop the story there. Did you ever convince them?
Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
You can't stop the story there. Did you ever convince them?
Nope. They even got a little bent out of shape about it, said they make a U, a UN, an S but never have made a US. Wanted me to take pictures so they could see my decals. Said no sales brochure shows one, etc.

Meanwhile just ten minutes ago a forty pound box of warranty parts just arrived for my US. Go figure.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #7

Lol.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

kevfra's 35 US

I guess Jayco didn't want to tell you this. From time to time they will make a prototype and if they feel it will be unsuccessful, will stop in the middle of construction. I met one such guy who found such a unit and bought the two that had been made. He cannibalized one unit and still owns the other. The box you received may be the only parts that are different from the S. There may be another box waiting for Big Bird. This makes you guys "unique".

Good luck to you both
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs A Class View Post
I guess Jayco didn't want to tell you this. From time to time they will make a prototype and if they feel it will be unsuccessful, will stop in the middle of construction. I met one such guy who found such a unit and bought the two that had been made. He cannibalized one unit and still owns the other. The box you received may be the only parts that are different from the S. There may be another box waiting for Big Bird. This makes you guys "unique".

Good luck to you both
Yeah, just us and a few thousand others. One minute on the net looking up Jayco 35US will give you pages and pages of units for sale. Why Jayco factory doesn't know this is a mystery.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing. I did a quick check: The MSRP Sheet from our rig indicates a "35S"
and the Precept Model descriptions book for the 2016 models also lists the coach as an "35S".
It would seem that least yours and mine have the wrong label outside the entry door. Should we ask for a warranty fix? :-) Or at least a refund.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Thanks for sharing. I did a quick check: The MSRP Sheet from our rig indicates a "35S"
and the Precept Model descriptions book for the 2016 models also lists the coach as an "35S".
It would seem that least yours and mine have the wrong label outside the entry door. Should we ask for a warranty fix? :-) Or at least a refund.
Yours perhaps, but not mine. Here is my exact rig, just like countless others:
Old 12-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #12

Ya. But can you trust Guaranty.com. They are just as vulnerable to believing the label out side the door. Looking at the other options in the 2016 Precept Model guide all of the 31 units have a "U" in the model designator. I'm a guessing the manufacturer of the decal just went into auto and made the 35's with a "U" and Jayco either didn't catch it or just blew off the cost and effort to correct it. Only they know the rest of the story.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Ya. But can you trust Guaranty.com. They are just as vulnerable to believing the label out side the door. Looking at the other options in the 2016 Precept Model guide all of the 31 units have a "U" in the model designator. I'm a guessing the manufacturer of the decal just went into auto and made the 35's with a "U" and Jayco either didn't catch it or just blew off the cost and effort to correct it. Only they know the rest of the story.
Now that argument I can live with! It's the kind of sloppy work we see all too often these days, and no quality assurance following behind. Lots of spare 'U' letters, so let's use them!

Tags
frozen hoses