Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #1

Question Storage Bay Tips Anyone?

Do you guys have any storage tips for the outside baggage compartments in your Class A痴? Coming from Class C痴, I知 amazed with how much extra storage (and CCC) I get on the rig I知 ordering. However, as I致e never had this much space before, nor have I ever camped w/ somebody else with all these big compartments, I知 not exactly sure how to utilize them all in a clean/orderly way.

Do you guys stuff them loose, or is there a tote brand/size that fits well and keeps things organized? What do you guys put on the passenger side vs. the driver side? I知 still going to bias my loading heavy items forward, lighter items aft as I assume that still applies here.

Tips, tricks, wisdom?

Thanks much.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I go loose, eaiser to get to what I need. From front to back:

Passenger:
Small compartment: Lubricants, window washer, blocks and pads
Normal compartment 1: Tools, blower, small cooler, spare tire on passthrough
Normal compartment 2: Dogs stuff, tackle box, fishing poles and blue tote on passthrough
Normal compartment 3: Chairs, rug, umbrellas, inner tubes for floating, pump
Small compartment rear: lanterns, firestarters, anything flamable

Driver:
Small compartment: jack pads, air compressor
Normal compartment 1: Blackstone tailgator grill
Normal compartment 2: Dish receiver and stand, foldable ladder
Small compartment rear: Electrical cords, Hughes autoformer

I load heavy to the front and somewhat driver side as my fridge, kitchen, closets, etc are passenger side.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #3

In addition to the above..
the ~12" space between the Driver and pass side above the chassis frame, I put collapsible ladder, spare tire, folding chairs and plastic short trays for misc stuff like tools, camper shovel, rope, bungee cords, 50Amp extension cord, folding tables/stands, traps, etc.

Stuff used most.... Pass side, least, drivers side

We do use totes of various sizes, keeps stuff organized, and stackable to use all your space. We get the semi transparent ones and label them

Heavy front, lighter rear.

You'll change it up a few times as you use it more.

Mark
Old 04-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

Thanks for your posts. I’m quite besides myself w/ the storage options I’ll be able to take advantage of. And being able to not be so weight conscious. So many of my choices in gear for my Class ‘C’ were heavily influenced by the weight penalty I would incur. The two yellow stickers I found online for 2021 ULs showed 4600 and 4700 and change in CCC. Big difference from 1500.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

We favor the drivers side with infrastucture items... hoses, cords and stuff near the utility bays... stuff we don't often get also goes on the drivers side so we dont have to constantly walk around the rig for getting something...

Conversely - frequently accessed stuff goes on the passenger side... sorted in categories like... "beverage bay"... "tool bay"... Pet bay... Outdoor cooking bay. Different rubbermaid tubs for the little stuff that will scatter around inside the bay.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #6

I like to be organized so I usually purpose build a storage unit for certain compartments. Had a narrow, pretty much useless one that I built a tool box with drawers, another one with a waste tank above it which was where I always set up the BBQ so I built a storage/cooking center unit and added ht/cold running water. Another narrow compartment right behind the drivers door, I set is up with all my fluids and filters or chassis related.
Attached Thumbnails
i-wMKWSHm-X2.jpg   i-L6x4mc8-X2.jpg   i-mwWghhW-X2.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #7

I am the total opposite. I have a 2018 31P. I put everything in totes. Everything organized by use and all is dust free a d dry. Works best for me.
KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
I like to be organized so I usually purpose build a storage unit for certain compartments. Had a narrow, pretty much useless one that I built a tool box with drawers, another one with a waste tank above it which was where I always set up the BBQ so I built a storage/cooking center unit and added ht/cold running water. Another narrow compartment right behind the drivers door, I set is up with all my fluids and filters or chassis related.
That is quite impressive ! And way beyond my woodworking skills !

Old 04-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHabie View Post
I am the total opposite. I have a 2018 31P. I put everything in totes. Everything organized by use and all is dust free a d dry. Works best for me.
I知 thinking I値l end up being a tote guy too. Happy to see totes are an option. I値l measure when my rig comes in and hope the size is available in the big box stores.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I知 thinking I値l end up being a tote guy too. Happy to see totes are an option. I値l measure when my rig comes in and hope the size is available in the big box stores.
I think this is the most effective way to organize many different pieces. Good luck and happy camping.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Brian.... very nice custom "stuff" there.... but I wouldn't expect anything less!! Hope to meet you in Coos Bay sometime,
Mark
Old 04-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #12

Like Rustynutz I use totes where possible, and I've built some light weight platforms to keep them separated so I don't have to take out the top one to get to the bottom. Just leave the heavy stuff on the bottom, and then make a frame out of 1x2 with 3/8 plywood deck.
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #13

Beautiful, I am concerned with the added wait from all the wood, just me.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #14

Tip..... buy a Low-Profile Creeper and keep it in your pass through...... trust me. There will come a time you will want to get underneath and inspect your coach's undercarriage while on the road. Harbor Freight has a decent one for 34.99. I had a fuel problem with my generator and finally traced the fuel line and saw that it was cinched part way between the black tank and the frame when it was empty it was fine but when it filled up it slowly cut off the fuel supply to the generator. I moved it and the creeper made it easy to slide around underneath carriage and trace the line.
Attached Thumbnails
creeper.jpg  
Old 04-16-2021, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Tip..... buy a Low-Profile Creeper and keep it in your pass through...... trust me. There will come a time you will want to get underneath and inspect your coach's undercarriage while on the road. Harbor Freight has a decent one for 34.99. I had a fuel problem with my generator and finally traced the fuel line and saw that it was cinched part way between the black tank and the frame when it was empty it was fine but when it filled up it slowly cut off the fuel supply to the generator. I moved it and the creeper made it easy to slide around underneath carriage and trace the line.

Brilliant! Never thought of this - thanks, Mike. I have one at home that's getting long in the tooth (like me... ) and can use a new one. The old one will be perfect to stash in the coach.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #16

1/2" Birch plywood isn't heavy. I use it all over my coach for dividers, shelves etc.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
1/2" Birch plywood isn't heavy. I use it all over my coach for dividers, shelves etc.

I use Baltic Birch in my projects and it is light and very strong at 9plys in 1/2". My tool box does weigh a bit because of all the drawer slides but being in a Super C I am not to concerned with CCC.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #18

Jopopsy: I use the plastic bin technique. I made a sketch of the sides and doors and then kept track of what I put in each compartment. One note of caution though. The two large doors with pass throughs located, most forward, are over the exhaust system. The front one is over the catalytic converter. Jayco has a recall for "some" Precepts that do not have a heat shield over the catalytic converter. Get down and check for it (see a related thread on melted floors in the storage compartment), don't accept your new vehicle unless it has it installed!
hopnhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #19

Jeez I would hope if their was a recall on something like that, they wouldn’t continue to build it messed up right? So many ‘issues’ w/ these builds I hope I didn’t make a mistake ! Between the Ford stuff and now this .... Fingers crossed and keeping the faith !

Old 04-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #20

How about keeping track of items in storage? Just cleaning the bins out and realize I have a bunch of duplicate items.