Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawkgirl View Post
Hi dgantz
I purchased the Sumo springs (1500) and found they make a great difference when towing my new Eagle 330 TT. The ride when my Ram 2500 is not towing has not changed. I’d go for it, they are sure cheaper than airbags. I purchased through etrailer. They assisted me with correct model for what I needed.
Did u do both axel?
burgiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #22

First suspension upgrade I did to our Precept 34G. Sumo Springs on all 4 corners. Made a HUGE difference in body roll! Definitely worth the $$$
RVvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #23

Looking at tiffin gassers the other day. Noticed sumo springs as an option. Many people are very happy with them.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
I have the Entegra Vision 31V, same chassis, same floorplan, and built in the same plant as the Allante 31V. Here's what I did, and it made a world of difference.

#1. Check your tire pressures, I run mine at 90 psi.
#2. Perform the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF), which is to change the anti-sway bars front and rear to the stronger settings
#3. Added a rear trac bar to remove the tail wagging
#4. Added a front steering stabilizer to the steering arm
#5. Had an alignment done

I did these in this order (3-5) done at the same time by a truck service center. I did 1 & 2 myself. Made a huge difference in th ride of my 31V.
We have a 2017 Jayco Alante 31V And have posted to the thread "what did you do to fix the ride" We tried a lot of the above fixes they all helped. But my biggest problem was vibration, Had the tires balanced but no help so I started asking questions. Getting ready to buy new tires to fix the problem the shop said let's check your tires. WELL my problem was the Last shop to balance my tires did a lousy job, this shop re-balanced the tires and what an improvement. We were really happy with the change, so I got to thinking if that worked so good what about SumoSprings? Well I just installed a set to the front last week. After about twenty mile test drive I and my DW are sold on the way they work. Ordering a set for the rear today! A whole lot cheaper Than going back to DP.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #25

I have a 2018 Alante 31V and have done a few things to improve handling without breaking the bank. First I re-positioned the links on the stock sway bars to the second hole in from the end. Cost $75 for the adapter brackets for the front and nothing for the rear. I did all the work myself and not too difficult. Made a significant difference on sway. Second, I added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer to help keep the front tracking straight down the road, about $300 and I installed it myself and it minimizes me having to "fight" the steering wheel when driving. Third I HAD a rear track bar installed and at the same time had the front and rear aligned, about $750. This made another significant improvement in handling. After doing these improvements we did a 3-1/2 month, 11,000 mile trip to Alaska and handling was very good. I am contemplating Sumo Springs front and rear this year as I still get some rocking when going around curves but it's not bad enough that I feel it's a must. All in all we love our 31V and are planning a trip east this year to Nova Scotia.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #26

The "plan" for our 2020 31UL includes suspension enhancements.
But, Sumo or Timbren has been our question for the front and air or Sumo/Timbren for the rear.
Timbrens on the front made a huge difference on our previous Class C.

Expensive for any choice for either end.
Especially if they don't work out.

Sumo seems to be the most popular choice for the front here ?
How about the rear ?

A track bar for the rear and Roadmaster rear sway bar are also on the wish/plan list.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykerhd View Post
Sumo seems to be the most popular choice for the front here ?
How about the rear ?
I have a 31R and I run sumos in the front and timbrens in the rear. I did have to go to a softer timbren though, I think the ones I ended up with are 5300#. Timbren was great to work with though and swapped them out with zero hassle.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:34 AM   #28

I’d like to bring this back up to get more feedback on the Sumosprings. Anybody recently install these? Or those that have had them for awhile, what do you think?

Spendy upgrade, but easy to install. I’m debating buying a pair for the front so I can install them straight away when my rig arrives.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I’d like to bring this back up to get more feedback on the Sumosprings. Anybody recently install these? Or those that have had them for awhile, what do you think?

Spendy upgrade, but easy to install. I’m debating buying a pair for the front so I can install them straight away when my rig arrives.
Installed a few months ago.... here's the post I did. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Mark
Old 05-12-2021, 08:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Installed a few months ago.... here's the post I did. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Mark
Right - your post has gotten me to put the track bar and the sumos in my shopping cart. The steering stabilizer is being installed by my dealer as part of my deal; they’re a Safe-T-Plus dealer as well.

What I really want to know is, what was your before/after experience after installing the sumos? Do you feel they were worth it? I’m going to get the track bar regardless as that seems to get universal praise, but the sumos run all over the board w/ regards to people liking them or people thinking they did nothing in particular.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #31

If you add sumos, do front and rear. Your other option is to add sway bars front and rear. Trac nar is a must. Have had sumos of for couple years, nothing but good things to say about them. I added RearvTrac Bar, Sonos front and rear, and upgraded stock Ford shocks with Koni. Rides like a dream. Also keep in mind while as an individual you want a smooth ride, so do your appliances - refrigerator etc will last longer. Good luck. Sadly these are all things that should be installed at factory, prepurchase......it is money well spent
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #32

Ford apparently upgraded the sway bars on the newer F53s (2020+). I'm hoping I can get away w/ what Ford already put on.

Mark (above) only installed the fronts; I'm wondering how his setup is working out for him.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Right - your post has gotten me to put the track bar and the sumos in my shopping cart. The steering stabilizer is being installed by my dealer as part of my deal; they’re a Safe-T-Plus dealer as well.

What I really want to know is, what was your before/after experience after installing the sumos? Do you feel they were worth it? I’m going to get the track bar regardless as that seems to get universal praise, but the sumos run all over the board w/ regards to people liking them or people thinking they did nothing in particular.
The largest change I noticed is when you hit a big bump (e.g., leading edge of a bridge, pot hole, road construction) the Sumos absorbed a lot more of the impact. The OEM yellow plastic cones Ford installed are a joke and are very harsh.

Mark
Old 05-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #34

Thanks Mark. Is it safe to assume that given they are a progressive load item, they also help supplement the front sway bar in some fashion?

Old 05-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Thanks Mark. Is it safe to assume that given they are a progressive load item, they also help supplement the front sway bar in some fashion?
No, I wouldn't assume that at all (my opinion/$0.02).

The anti-sway is more a left/right (lean/sway) resistances, e.g., the the MH is leaning Left (while in a right turn) that puts a downward force against the left side of the sway bar. The down forces transfers to the right side of the sway bar that now has an up force from the body lean..... the goal of the anti-sway bar is to cancel each side out with the opposite force to help minimize body sway/lean. The anti-sway bar is under torsion during any lean and free float/no torsion when in a no body sway/lean situation (like driving straight on a flat surface).

The Sumo is more a spring while the shock absorber is to help prevent up/down bounce by absorbing much of the initial shock and counter shock.

Hope that helps and makes sense?

Mark
Old 05-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
No, I wouldn't assume that at all (my opinion/$0.02).

The anti-sway is more a left/right (lean/sway) resistances, e.g., the the MH is leaning Left (while in a right turn) that puts a downward force against the left side of the sway bar. The down forces transfers to the right side of the sway bar that now has an up force from the body lean..... the goal of the anti-sway bar is to cancel each side out with the opposite force to help minimize body sway/lean. The anti-sway bar is under torsion during any lean and free float/no torsion when in a no body sway/lean situation (like driving straight on a flat surface).

The Sumo is more a spring while the shock absorber is to help prevent up/down bounce by absorbing much of the initial shock and counter shock.

Hope that helps and makes sense?

Mark
No it does; I'm well versed in the suspension mods from my Class 'C' days. I never messed around with Sumos before though. In my mind, if the coach is swaying/tilting to the left, the sway bar of course is applying counter-tension to try to keep it square. My thought was the left sumo would also begin to constrict, thus supplementing the sway bar (the right sumo would be unconstricted).

Old 05-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #37

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Their website claims that it does help sway, but that would only be for the on-piece springs. How much is not quantified. The compressed side will push back on the body roll (right side when turning left), and the uncompressed side will resist the elongation of the spring (left side when turning left). The two-piece that i've seen won't help as much as they will only work on the conpressed side. For some chassis, the fronts are two piece, the rear are normally one piece.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:39 AM   #38

Sure, the Sumo's would help "some" for body roll/sway.... but the OEM Ford yellow hard plastic one would be better for body roll than the springier Sumo's in my estimation??

Mark
Old 05-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Agreed, its not the primary function of the Sumos for sure. My only assertion is that they resist compression and expansion, so each side should compliment the other in a body roll situation. The split ones, will only work in a compression situation. I've considered them on my coach, especially in the rear as it seems to sag about 1" when loaded and it may help the rear sit a bit higher and help with bumps.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:26 PM   #40

did you get the compressor too? install yourself?
conch02 is offline   Reply With Quote