Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

Sumo springs

Has anyone installed these on your Jayco CLS A and if so did they help with the sway or top heavy effect?
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

I did look at the Sumo and Timbren Springs, but I am getting ready to install Air-Bags on my rear axel after hearing from other motorhome owners that were happy with theirs and being able to adjust for different loads and ride changes. I am going to order these from Etrailer Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Helper Springs with Internal Jounce Bumpers - Rear Axle Item # AL88344. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #3

Hi dgantz
I purchased the Sumo springs (1500) and found they make a great difference when towing my new Eagle 330 TT. The ride when my Ram 2500 is not towing has not changed. I’d go for it, they are sure cheaper than airbags. I purchased through etrailer. They assisted me with correct model for what I needed.
whitehawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:55 AM   #4

I installed Sumo Springs and what a difference(2018 Alante 26x) in ride. Added a rear track bar and that took sway out. upgraded shocks and this thing rides like a cadillac. Was worth the money, rarely get pushed when a Tractor Trailor goes by, and no more sucking me over to the left lane when tail end of T Trailor goes by. I have also put sound proof on doghouse and in front wheel wells, we can talk in normal tones now when driving
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
I installed Sumo Springs and what a difference(2018 Alante 26x) in ride. Added a rear track bar and that took sway out. upgraded shocks and this thing rides like a cadillac. Was worth the money, rarely get pushed when a Tractor Trailor goes by, and no more sucking me over to the left lane when tail end of T Trailor goes by. I have also put sound proof on doghouse and in front wheel wells, we can talk in normal tones now when driving
They came in the mail and waiting to be installed after the holidays.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:08 AM   #6

Great, don't forget to post some pics of your setup.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #7

If you have sway then you need added or larger sway bars. All Sumo's are are urethane bump stops.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
If you have sway then you need added or larger sway bars. All Sumo's are are urethane bump stops.
If your getting pushed to the right when a tractor trailer passes, then sucked to the left as the rear of the trailer part of a tractor trailer passes you, you need a rear track bar as a sway bar won't take care of it. The rear end flexes on the road in such a case as above, therefore the track bar will stabilize the rear end. In regards to sumo's, you will notice a big difference with regards to ride an handling
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
RWK

I have them on all four corners of the coach. I did them last after I added rear leaf springs, Koni shocks, super steer rear track bar, anti sway bars and Roadmaster steering stabilzer. They absolutely made a big difference.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:10 PM   #10

I have a 31R and I use Sumo springs up front and timbrens in the back. I feel like it helped the ride a lot. I never really felt that I had a sway (back and forth) issues, but I did feel a lot of "push" from large passing vehicles and heavy cross-winds. The Sumo/Timbren combo made huge improvements in that area.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #11

Jayco 2020 31v Alante

We just purchased the Jayco 2020 Allante 31V. I’m not sure what they mean by J ride but whatever it is we don’t have it. This motorhome sways and rolls from side to side horribly. It is dangerous and frightening to drive. What do we need to do in order to stop this from happening. We have been reading it the blog and we are not sure what will work best. We are disappointed that we are going to have to invest quite a bit of money to make this motorcoach handled correctly.
pmarana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #12

it is to bad you didn't test drive it... if it is only 3 days old you can take it back... and try that.. if over 3 days then you are well... it is sad that they still sell these with these problems...

Good luck!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarana3 View Post
We just purchased the Jayco 2020 Allante 31V. I’m not sure what they mean by J ride but whatever it is we don’t have it. This motorhome sways and rolls from side to side horribly. It is dangerous and frightening to drive. What do we need to do in order to stop this from happening. We have been reading it the blog and we are not sure what will work best. We are disappointed that we are going to have to invest quite a bit of money to make this motorcoach handled correctly.

What you are describing is body roll. You will have to upgrade your front and rear sway bars to reduce the body roll. Also, if your tire pressure is too low it will cause a mushy ride.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:

I have the Entegra Vision 31V, same chassis, same floorplan, and built in the same plant as the Allante 31V. Here's what I did, and it made a world of difference.

#1. Check your tire pressures, I run mine at 90 psi.
#2. Perform the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF), which is to change the anti-sway bars front and rear to the stronger settings
#3. Added a rear trac bar to remove the tail wagging
#4. Added a front steering stabilizer to the steering arm
#5. Had an alignment done

I did these in this order (3-5) done at the same time by a truck service center. I did 1 & 2 myself. Made a huge difference in th ride of my 31V.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #15

Foretm, can you provide a ballpark price for the rear trac bar and front steering stabilizing. I'm working a deal with a dealership for a 2018 Precept 31UL, haven't been able to test drive it yet, but this info can be useful in the negotiations. Thanks
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
The prices will vary based on the chassis. My chassis is the 18K GVWR chassis, so my prices were as follows:

UltraTrac Trac Bar Rear - $479
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer (White) - $540
Labor for installation and alignment - $830.16

I ordered my parts from UltraRV (www.ultrarvproducts.com) and I had my installation and alignment done at Raney's Truck Service in Ocala, FL.

Hope this helps...

Mike
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #17

Quote:

We had the exact same problem. We added SafeTSteering, SumoSprings and a rear track bar. Helped tremendously. No more white knuckles when we drive. Now I am looking for a softer shock absorber.
Carigrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carigrafix View Post
We had the exact same problem. We added SafeTSteering, SumoSprings and a rear track bar. Helped tremendously. No more white knuckles when we drive. Now I am looking for a softer shock absorber.
I have the 18k frame 31ul, 2016. The konis although expensive were worth it for a smoother ride. I bought online and paid the truck shop one hour labor to install.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #19

Quote:
I have a new 2019 31V and it swayed side to side if the road was uneven. It also bounced around especially in the front. Other than that it tracked very well on the road and wasn't affected by trucks passing.
I went to a shop in Vancouver BC that does a test drive before they do anything. They recommended Koni shocks up front. We did that and the problem is 90% better. We just drove 2000 miles in all kinds of roads including small windy roads and it handles fine.
They also recommended the steering stabilizer to firm up the steering but I think it tracks fine. I may do it later.
PhilT0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT0 View Post
I have a new 2019 31V and it swayed side to side if the road was uneven. It also bounced around especially in the front. Other than that it tracked very well on the road and wasn't affected by trucks passing.
I went to a shop in Vancouver BC that does a test drive before they do anything. They recommended Koni shocks up front. We did that and the problem is 90% better. We just drove 2000 miles in all kinds of roads including small windy roads and it handles fine.
They also recommended the steering stabilizer to firm up the steering but I think it tracks fine. I may do it later.
Had Sumo springs installed on our 36T last week. A tremendous upgrade in ride and sway.. Also added the steering stablizer and sway bar. Well worth the money.