Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #1

Sumos wrong? F53

Check your colors / GVWR.

“Class A Motorhome Applications

For Class A motorhomes built on the Ford F-53 chassis, our engineers have made the selection process simple. For the front, the most beneficial SumoSprings kit, and sole option, is the -40 (Blue). For the rear, you will see either the -40 or the -54 (Yellow). The density for rear kits primarily depends on the coach’s GVWR. The -40 is listed for 16k-18k coaches, while the -54 is listed for 20k-26k coaches.“

Source;

https://www.superspringsinternationa...right-for-you/
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:27 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Thanks for that... i'll be looking to do these soon on the rear along with some Konis.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:50 AM   #3

FORETM,

Surprised you don't already have the Koni’s with all the other mods you’ve done. Ha!

Blue Sumo’s all around for your Vision and my Alante 31V.

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-23-2023, 01:32 AM   #4

I'm looking on getting the yellow one for my rear soon but as soon as I get it back I have the front one to install and then I will take it for a little drive.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
FORETM,

Surprised you don't already have the Koni’s with all the other mods you’ve done. Ha!

Blue Sumo’s all around for your Vision and my Alante 31V.
Suspension-wise, just the CHF, rear trac bar, and steering stabilizer. Trying to decide if I want rear sumos and Koni's or just the koni's. I'm seeing a bit of sag in the rear (~1"), so the Sumo's should help with that.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #6

I think that with our specific models, that overhang/sag, it is what it is. I have the Sumos in rear. Seems rear of RV a foot off ground still. You travel with water in tanks? I usually only go 1/3 full.

By default; You’ll want Sumos for front & Koni’s all around.

“Will SumoSprings lift my coach?
SumoSprings are not a lift kit and are not designed to lift your coach. However, most RVs have a lot of weight on them, causing them to unknowingly (in some cases, obviously) sag. Some owners reported a 2" lift in their Class B vans after installing SumoSprings. It is not a 2” lift the SumoSprings induced, it is actually 2” of sag the SumoSprings eliminated. This helps level your coach.“

https://www.superspringsinternationa...rv-suspension/

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-24-2023, 02:06 AM   #7

Quote:
I think that with our specific models, that overhang/sag, it is what it is. I have the Sumos in rear. Seems rear of RV a foot off ground still. You travel with water in tanks? I usually only go 1/3 full.

By default; You’ll want Sumos for front & Koni’s all around.

“Will SumoSprings lift my coach?
SumoSprings are not a lift kit and are not designed to lift your coach. However, most RVs have a lot of weight on them, causing them to unknowingly (in some cases, obviously) sag. Some owners reported a 2" lift in their Class B vans after installing SumoSprings. It is not a 2” lift the SumoSprings induced, it is actually 2” of sag the SumoSprings eliminated. This helps level your coach.“

https://www.superspringsinternationa...rv-suspension/

So do you think since I have Koni's shock front and rear that I will need to install Sumo Spring in the rear, I have the front now but I don't have my MH now?
Old 01-24-2023, 05:48 AM   #8

Big1, I would if I was you. I just meant front Sumo’s at the very least for FORETM + koni’s all around.

I know when we had them put on and the Koni’s, was easier to drive and found myself driving faster, not intentionally. Just better control.

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-24-2023, 06:57 AM   #9

So Sumos and Koni's all around. What about radius rods? That one seems new to me, not sure if its worth the effort. Anyone have these...?
Old 01-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #10

Not sure, supposed to help with anti-sway, front to rear.

I have at dealer now, they are fixing my koni’s and asked for quote on radius rods/benefit.

Also going to get overlander 190 watt solar package setup. Better house lithium battery(s), battleborns.

And replace plastic toilet with porcelain one.

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-25-2023, 02:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Big1, I would if I was you. I just meant front Sumo’s at the very least for FORETM + koni’s all around.

I know when we had them put on and the Koni’s, was easier to drive and found myself driving faster, not intentionally. Just better control.
Yes, I was thinking that it seems like having both would work better together, I have all what I need to install the front and I am ready to install the rear when I get it back. The one thing though I don't want to remove the rear wheel, so I bought a 90-degree drill motor so I can get in between the wheel and frame, hope that work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
So Sumos and Koni's all around. What about radius rods? That one seems new to me, not sure if its worth the effort. Anyone have these...?

I was thinking about installing the radius rods also, but I think that after I install the front and rear Sumo Springs I will see if I really need it. https://youtu.be/K0ulai90cHA
Old 01-26-2023, 12:28 PM   #12

That video was more yapping, lol.

We’re looking to fix up our steering/wander. So, made the call to get it installed, will update ya’ll once done.

“…Radius Rod Kit (P/N SS403RR) that significantly reduces road wander, vague or slow-responding steering, and nose-dive under hard-braking experienced by owners of 2010-newer Class A motorhomes based on the Ford F-53 chassis.”

Source; https://rvbusiness.com/supersteer-la...for-ford-f-53/

Reviews on Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSteer-Fr...pe=all_reviews

Flexing leafs; https://youtu.be/LpiKj69Jxq4

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-27-2023, 11:32 PM   #13

I look at installing these a few months ago but I couldn't find too much info on them it looks like that I will have to add this to my list.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:30 PM   #14

Saw a 2023 Precept today at Dayton RV show, Koni FSD’s now standard. Along with steering stabilizer.

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-29-2023, 06:39 PM   #15

Well it's about time they do that, I did a survey for Jayco I put on the survey about what all I install so it will make their rv better if it is done from the factory.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Well it's about time they do that, I did a survey for Jayco I put on the survey about what all I install so it will make their rv better if it is done from the factory.
Good. The 2” front/rear sway bars are good, if they also made the rear trac bar & front Sumos standard, they’d have something.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:54 AM   #17

Installing rear Sumosprings on my (new to me) 2019 Alante26x ( 2018 F53 chassis- V10 - 16K GVW)
1) Install done with wheels off and rear suspension hanging “free.”
2) Surveying the frame rails; Passenger side; not too bad, Drivers side; both brake and fuel lines are occupying inside the frame rail
3) Instructions want a 4.5” dimension for the bottom hole on the top bracket.
4) Used some 3/8-16 nuts (3/8” coarse) to mockup the installation, as supplied hardware is locking nuts
5) Made some “pilot” screws from 3/8-16 all thread (about 3” long) to screw in top of Sumospring, added some nuts (on top and below bracket) to all thread to mockup placement of top bracket and meet 4.5” dimension to bottom mounting hole
6) Marked bolt holes on frame, used center punch, small diameter bit and then 3/8” drill bit.
7) Must use some kind of drill bit stop ( I used some fuel line) to ensure you don’t drill into existing brake and fuel lines on driver’s side of frame
8) Bottom mount’s “saddle bracket” has notch which goes forward to give clearance for brake caliper bolts
9) Not for the faint of heart due to location of mounting hardware and fuel/brake lines…note drivers’ side top mount hardware is assembled with bolt heads on inside of frame, nuts on outside of bracket.
10) Pictures speak louder than words- hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
SDC17500.JPG   SDC17502.JPG   SDC17509.JPG   SDC17513.JPG   SDC17521.JPG  

SDC17522.JPG   SDC17524.JPG   SDC17528.JPG   SDC17530.JPG   SDC17532.JPG  

Old 01-30-2023, 08:03 AM   #18

Wow, really appreciate the info and pics. Supersteer folks are opening a shop in Ocala, FL next month and I'm on their list to call when they open. I'll buy and let them do the install.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:49 AM   #19

You're welcome...doing the "Full Monty" to the rear, Sumos, Track bar and new Konis...hope to be done by this time next week. Gotta get the tires to the shop to check balance and then finish up the rear. Front end is next with Sumos, Radius rods, Konis (PO installed steering stab). SuperSteer folks are very good, all parts shipped same day I ordered (on line) , correct parts shipped and nothing is missing - good people to do business with. You're smart to have them do the more difficult upgrades to the suspension. Happy Trails!
Old 01-31-2023, 03:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznut View Post
Installing rear Sumosprings on my (new to me) 2019 Alante26x ( 2018 F53 chassis- V10 - 16K GVW)
1) Install done with wheels off and rear suspension hanging “free.”
2) Surveying the frame rails; Passenger side; not too bad, Drivers side; both brake and fuel lines are occupying inside the frame rail
3) Instructions want a 4.5” dimension for the bottom hole on the top bracket.
4) Used some 3/8-16 nuts (3/8” coarse) to mockup the installation, as supplied hardware is locking nuts
5) Made some “pilot” screws from 3/8-16 all thread (about 3” long) to screw in top of Sumospring, added some nuts (on top and below bracket) to all thread to mockup placement of top bracket and meet 4.5” dimension to bottom mounting hole
6) Marked bolt holes on frame, used center punch, small diameter bit and then 3/8” drill bit.
7) Must use some kind of drill bit stop ( I used some fuel line) to ensure you don’t drill into existing brake and fuel lines on driver’s side of frame
8) Bottom mount’s “saddle bracket” has notch which goes forward to give clearance for brake caliper bolts
9) Not for the faint of heart due to location of mounting hardware and fuel/brake lines…note drivers’ side top mount hardware is assembled with bolt heads on inside of frame, nuts on outside of bracket.
10) Pictures speak louder than words- hope this helps

Awesome, that look like a nice job my plan is doing the same install but I really don't want to take the rear wheels off if I can help it. I bought a Dewalt 90 degree drill motor along with some drill carbon tips.

Thank you for the pics, have you got a chance to take it out on the road yet? I have my front ones but since my motorhome is at the dealership getting warranty work done I haven't had a chance to install the front ones yet.

I did see a guy on Youtube didn't take the rear wheel off, and I know that it will be better if I did but I really don't want to.

When you took you rear wheel off did you re-torque them or just put them back on with a torque impact driver?