Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #1

Sumospring or timbrens

Okay guys, driving back from picking up our Class A I notice a little of roll I have Safe-T-Plus coming but wanted to find our next should I get the sumospring or the timberns to replace the stock bumper stop?

I'm planning on replacing the stock shock in the future, but I wanted to see if I get the sumo or the timberns before our next camping trip. Or what do you guys that have gas class a should get.

There is also a part that I want to get for the rear axles that I have been looking at, I forget the name right now, but it attaches to the rear axle to the frame. Thank you guys for your comment I have a little money to get one or two mod before we go on I next camping trip.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #2

I did konis and sumos all around, driving out west from Ohio to Yellowstone, I80/I90, HWY 44, lets just say wish I had LiquidSpring.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
I did konis and sumos all around, driving out west from Ohio to Yellowstone, I80/I90, HWY 44, lets just say wish I had LiquidSpring.

Thank you sir, I'm not sure how much the LiquidSpring would cost but It's probably in the thousands. I have been looking at installing the rear trac bar but I'm trying to find out what is my next best option beside installing my safe-t-plus when it get here.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #4

Sumo’s should help that, it did for me. I was just complaining about the horrible roads out there, we should protest that, lol. Maybe the protesters can spend all their time fixing the roads.

for what I have spent, should have just drove it to LiquidSpring and they put on their mods. They now do the 2021 F53 V8 chassis. Looking at $25k out the door for complete deal.

After the steering stabilizer, get the rear trac bar next. What model/year/etc RV you have?

#Bru_Tube

Old 07-09-2022, 09:20 PM   #5

Yes, I was thinking at first to get the Trac Bar, it's on my next to get list. I have the 2022 Jayco Precept 36C 24 gvwr.

Did you do the front and rear at the same time when you install the SumoSpring? I agree some of these road are really bad, we were coming from ID going down I90 and man some spot on the road was bad, it was so bad that my shade came down so I have to either do it myself or take it back so they can put it back up.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:01 AM   #6

The best chassis mods I have done in order of effectiveness are as follows:

Koni FSD shocks
Rear Trac bar
CHF

The trac bar is almost a necessity in windy areas. After I added my trac bar I wished I'd put it on years earlier. Fortunately my '35S came with two rear sway bars so I didn't have to add a second one and I was able to do the Cheap Handling Fix. I have found no reason to add Sumo Springs as they actually are just big bumpstops and I wanted to install devices that actually used the laws of physics to combat sway, tail wagging the dog and wind from pushing the coach from the chassis.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The best chassis mods I have done in order of effectiveness are as follows:

Koni FSD shocks
Rear Trac bar
CHF

The trac bar is almost a necessity in windy areas. After I added my trac bar I wished I'd put it on years earlier. Fortunately my '35S came with two rear sway bars so I didn't have to add a second one and I was able to do the Cheap Handling Fix. I have found no reason to add Sumo Springs as they actually are just big bumpstops and I wanted to install devices that actually used the laws of physics to combat sway, tail wagging the dog and wind from pushing the coach from the chassis.
Great thank you, I figure that I will do the safe-t-plus which I will get it tomorrow and the trac bar and see if I really need the other. My plan is to call SuperSteer tomorrow and order one so I can get the right one instead of going on the Amazon site to order it. The bar that’s is on my 2022 to do the CHF is 2” thick and only have one hole at the end, I guess that Ford listen to the people somewhat and change that to be more beefier, the front and the rear.

So now I figure if I just add the safe-t-plus and the rear trac bar I should be good, those are the cheapest way to go for now and after trying it out if I wanted to add them later I can. Thank you for your comment because I didn’t really wanted to spend money trying to fit the roll that I was getting when I brought it home, it was hard trying to keep it in my lane when 18 wheeler pass me. We have one or two more trip plan so I wanted to work out those issue now.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #8

Oh one more thing so those shock are the easy to replace?
Old 07-11-2022, 06:03 AM   #9

I did the steering stabilizer, track bar, front sumos and quad Konis all around. Very happy with those mods. Our rv is a pleasure to drive now. Enjoy your new Precept.

Taz
2019 Precept Prest
36b
TazmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #10

Get the RV front end aligned first then install the stabilizer.

#Bru_Tube

Old 07-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Oh one more thing so those shock are the easy to replace?
If you have the right tools it is easily done.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #12

Hello. I run the Sumos up front and the Timbrens in the rear. I ended up with this combo because I felt the Timbrens were too stiff on the front end and I liked the "feel" of the Sumos much better. In the rear, just the opposite. I felt the Sumos didn't do enough whereas the Timbrens did a much better job with roll.

For what it's worth I have a 2018 Alante 31R. I've done the CHF, had an alignment, and added a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer in addition to the Sumo/Timbren setup. I plan to replace the shocks around 25k miles unless they start acting up before then, but my ride is currently comfortable, easy to control, and most importantly very predictable and consistent.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Yes, I was thinking at first to get the Trac Bar, it's on my next to get list. I have the 2022 Jayco Precept 36C 24 gvwr.

Did you do the front and rear at the same time when you install the SumoSpring? I agree some of these road are really bad, we were coming from ID going down I90 and man some spot on the road was bad, it was so bad that my shade came down so I have to either do it myself or take it back so they can put it back up.
Yes. Here is good video on the F53 V8, if you have that in your rig. All those mods help handling but the crappy roads of America, still think LiquidSpring the way to go for the decent ride. What your tires at psi wise? I’ve tried 82 to 95. Some I90 portions about took my fillings out.

https://youtu.be/tnSc3N5lY6s
Old 07-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alante31V View Post
Yes. Here is good video on the F53 V8, if you have that in your rig. All those mods help handling but the crappy roads of America, still think LiquidSpring the way to go for the decent ride. What your tires at psi wise? I’ve tried 82 to 95. Some I90 portions about took my fillings out.

https://youtu.be/tnSc3N5lY6s
Then watch this one

https://youtu.be/YMXOvTObSFk
Old 07-11-2022, 07:35 PM   #15

I have the following on my 29f (I am on a shorter wheelbase and lighter chassis than you, so ymmv):
Secondary rear sway bar (didnt seem to help much until I lost a bracket on my factory sway on a trip - I noticed a huge difference then but was able to get home safely with the secondary in place)
Trac bar - helped tremendously with tail wag/passing trucks
Sumos on all 4 - big improvement on general stability across bumps, etc. Does not soften the bumps, but I easily retain control with no concerns now
Steering stabilizer - tracks straight and peace of mind for front blow out (one handed driving...briefly)
Replaced Goodyear steer tires with toyo - minor ride improvement...I didn't trust the gy after seeing blowout posts - will replace rears with toyos after I get a few more miles on the existing)

Next I am planning konis all around to help soften the ride some, but I need to get my generator issue resolved before I spend any more money on the current rig.

I did most of the mods within a six month period so I did not get extensive driving after each one. That said, I was ready to sell the coach after the second trip and the factor sway bracket fell off...these mods have made it drive so much better.

All in on the above (I installed some, had a shop install others) I have spent about $5k in parts, labor and tools. The biggest single expense was installation of rear sumos at a little under $1k. Front sumos we're a breeze to install.
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:08 AM   #16

Thank you guys for all of your comments, I just got in today my Safe-T-Plus and I order today which will be to my home in two to three days the Rear Trac Bar.

Okay so after those mods what is the next best mods to do, Koni Shock? I have a trip coming up sometime in September so I want to be ready for the road.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:12 PM   #17

I have a Alante 29F, I currently have the Safe-T plus on the front and the Roadmaster Sway Bar in the back and I don't feel like I have any issues as far as the sway.

However the ride is very rough on some of those freeways. What does anyone recommend for smoothing out the rough roads?
Ryan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
I have a Alante 29F, I currently have the Safe-T plus on the front and the Roadmaster Sway Bar in the back and I don't feel like I have any issues as far as the sway.

However the ride is very rough on some of those freeways. What does anyone recommend for smoothing out the rough roads?
A lot of the rough ride is a product of the short wheelbase, however.... You could soften the ride a bit by changing out the shocks (a lot of people love Koni - I prefer Bilstein) and by playing with the tire pressure. For example, in my 31R Jayco recommends 82psi in the front and the rear. I run 90psi in the front and 88psi in the rear and while its only a few psi different it is noticeable in how it behaves on the road.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post

Thank you, and after I install the Safe-T-Plus and my rear trac bar which I will get tomorrow but I'm hoping that I want have to do nothing else but we will see.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher523 View Post
A lot of the rough ride is a product of the short wheelbase, however.... You could soften the ride a bit by changing out the shocks (a lot of people love Koni - I prefer Bilstein) and by playing with the tire pressure. For example, in my 31R Jayco recommends 82psi in the front and the rear. I run 90psi in the front and 88psi in the rear and while its only a few psi different it is noticeable in how it behaves on the road.

Okay, I have heard of people using the Bilstein shock what kind did you go with with, is their a number and what is the different between to the two, is one stuffer than other? Where did you the Blistein from?